Archon 50 combo (EL34) on the way...few questions.

Spiralizer

As I posted in another thread, I just ordered a Archon 50 combo with EL34's. I noticed the priced jumped somewhere around $50 for the EL34's over the 6L6's. Anybody know why? When I price them out, they cost roughly the same.

Aside from that, I choose EL34's because I've had amps in the past with those tubes and I loved what they did for the gain side. I play mostly metal/hard rock...did I make the right decision?

Anybody out there have an Archon 50 combo w/EL34's?

I have an Archon 100 head that can have either EL34s or 6L6GCs, they're actually really close, you're fine.

Don't know nuthin' about the price hike. It's probably from having to deal with people like me. When I was tube rolling, I let him know everything, including that the Groove Tubes 6L6-R kinda sucked in the Archon, and I would not recommend them.

As far as the bias for this amp...let's say I want new EL34's to replace the stock ones. Would I have to bias the amp or just stick a matched pair in and be done with it?

After my experience with the Groove Tubes, I would at least check the bias -- that part's really easy.

You'd want to rebias. Stupid simple on these though. Bias points are on the back panel.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I've never biased an amp. I've always brought them to a tech thinking I'd break something. Are there instructions on how to do it with the amp?

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I've never biased an amp. I've always brought them to a tech thinking I'd break something. Are there instructions on how to do it with the amp?
Nothing to be embarrassed about. I hadn't done it until a month ago. I don't think there were any instructions with it. To keep it brief, you get a meter set it to read mV, and stick the black lead in the black test point and the red lead in one of the two red test points, adjust the pot until you get the desired reading. Change to the other red test point and repeat. You'll want to go back and forth a couple of times to balance them out. You may not be able to get both tubes to rad the same thing. If that's the case, balance the two to get the desired setting. Meaning, if you're trying to get 30, and can't get both of them there, try to aim for 29 on one, and 31 one the other.

I have written instructions somewhere. I'll see if I can find them and scan them. They actually may have come from a post somewhere on the forum too.

Last edited:
Nothing to be embarrassed about. I hadn't done it until a month ago. I don't think there were any instructions with it. To keep it brief, you get a meter set it to read mA, and stick the black lead in the black test point and the red lead in one of the two red test points, adjust the pot until you get the desired reading. Change to the other red test point and repeat. You'll want to go back and forth a couple of times to balance them out. You may not be able to get both tubes to rad the same thing. If that's the case, balance the two to get the desired setting. Meaning, if you're trying to get 30, and can't get both of them there, try to aim for 29 on one, and 31 one the other.

I have written instructions somewhere. I'll see if I can find them and scan them. They actually may have come from a post somewhere on the forum too.

Amazingly cool of you! Thanks so much!

Thanks, Bodia - I may be asking about these instructions again myself. I was talking to Jeff in amps about how much I like the Archon, and he strongly recommended trying the EL34s in it.

Amazingly cool of you! Thanks so much!

Thanks, Bodia - I may be asking about these instructions again myself. I was talking to Jeff in amps about how much I like the Archon, and he strongly recommended trying the EL34s in it.

Sorry, I just noticed I said turn you meter to read mA, that should be mV.
I haven't found whatever it was that I printed out when I did mine. I did find this in another thread though.

Ok you take off the rear panel plug in your speaker don't put anything in the front 1/4 jack NO GUITAR remove old tubes install new tubes plug in your voltmeter black plug in the middle leave it there.turn amp on stand by plug in red probe left for left tube right for right tube doesent matter which tube you bias first.Turn amp on full power set voltmeter install screwdriver and proceed to turn left or right until you get the proper reading 30 mV for instance when you are satisfied remove probe and install in the other port repeat process good luck you should be fine.

Bodia, you can edit previous posts, so for people who might read that one post and try it without reading your next post you might want to edit it so it says mV just to be safe. :)

Bodia's right on the $. Stupid simple to do. The external bias points(trim pot is behind the back grill on the chassis near power tubes on the Archon head) make it VERY easy. 30 mV+/-5 for either type of tube. A multimeter and a tiny screw driver are all you need. I love the EL34's in my Archon at home- prefer it over 6L6's at lower volumes, I think. I haven't played the EL34's at band volumes yet.

Bodia, you can edit previous posts, so for people who might read that one post and try it without reading your next post you might want to edit it so it says mV just to be safe. :)
Good point. Done!

Hello I just wanted to ask question about changing 6l6 to el34 s in my archon 50 watt head. It sounds pretty straightforward I know how to bias an amplifier. My question that I've heard people say that the fuses blow? In your experience or anybody's experience do you know if that's true and you need to get a Slow blow fuse or do you just need to turn down the bias will the current 6l6 are in it and then bring it back up when you install the el34 s. Thanks for any help I really appreciate it.

Hello I just wanted to ask question about changing 6l6 to el34 s in my archon 50 watt head. It sounds pretty straightforward I know how to bias an amplifier. My question that I've heard people say that the fuses blow? In your experience or anybody's experience do you know if that's true and you need to get a Slow blow fuse or do you just need to turn down the bias will the current 6l6 are in it and then bring it back up when you install the el34 s. Thanks for any help I really appreciate it.

I have an Archon 100 with EL34's.
Stock 10 amp fuses can be replaced with 15 watt fuses instead of a slow blow.

More relevant info here.
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/tube-bias-help.32203/#post-412946

and here...
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/handy-tip-for-archon-100w-with-el34s-fuses.18268/

Back