Anyone own two or more of the S2 Series?

I purchased a S2 Starla a few months ago. I still can't believe how great she sounds, the feel and playability. For the money, in my opinion, the best guitar in it's price range and better than a lot of more expensive guitars. I will start off playing one of my SE's and switch over to my girl S2, worlds apart and i've modded my SE's, but the S2 just sounds tight and feels every bit like a core PRS, I have a few of those also.

I think you took my response out of context and there isn't a need to become defensive over my comments. I'll word it another way;
How much money did PRS save by changing out from a core trem to the import trem?
How much money did PRS save by going with a gig bag from a case?
How much money did PRS save by using horrendous looking white plastic for the inlays?

I made no mention of the top, binding, pickups (and I actually wasn't aware of the previous generation deal, I thought they were build overseas to the same spec as the USA models. That is, the HFS and Vintage Bass in my S2 Custom 24 are the same sound spec as my Custom 24 Navarro HFS and VB.

I also didn't say that you would ever find an S2 for SE prices. For the price of a NEW S2, you can purchase a used CE24 or even Custom 24 if you're looking hard. So I stand by my, the only way I'd ever buy another S2 is if I was buying used.
The case vs gig-bag thing If I'm gigging, I'm hauling 4x12's, heads, and multiple cases. A gig bag wouldn't make a big difference to me in the grand scheme of things.

Where are you gigging with multiple 4x12s? In most of the places I play, we're lucky to get drums, two 1x12 combos, a 1x15 bass amp and five people on the stage. And it seems like stairs, crossing the street, and/or double parking is always involved to load in.

I'm actually selling my Super Reverb to recoup the cost of my S2 because I never use it.

Even a lot of established (old) rock bands are now doing fly-in gigs and just hiring a back line.

I think you took my response out of context and there isn't a need to become defensive over my comments. I'll word it another way;
How much money did PRS save by changing out from a core trem to the import trem?
How much money did PRS save by going with a gig bag from a case?
How much money did PRS save by using horrendous looking white plastic for the inlays?

I made no mention of the top, binding, pickups (and I actually wasn't aware of the previous generation deal, I thought they were build overseas to the same spec as the USA models. That is, the HFS and Vintage Bass in my S2 Custom 24 are the same sound spec as my Custom 24 Navarro HFS and VB.

I also didn't say that you would ever find an S2 for SE prices. For the price of a NEW S2, you can purchase a used CE24 or even Custom 24 if you're looking hard. So I stand by my, the only way I'd ever buy another S2 is if I was buying used.
The case vs gig-bag thing If I'm gigging, I'm hauling 4x12's, heads, and multiple cases. A gig bag wouldn't make a big difference to me in the grand scheme of things.

Not defensive, I simply commented on what you wrote. You sound like you have buyers remorse, instead of buyer's joy. There are some compromises on this line, middle of the road components, so to speak. I guess if you insist on top shelf everything, then a Core model is what you must aim for, and this just isn't it. Close, and for some of us, close enough.

Not defensive, I simply commented on what you wrote. You sound like you have buyers remorse, instead of buyer's joy. There are some compromises on this line, middle of the road components, so to speak. I guess if you insist on top shelf everything, then a Core model is what you must aim for, and this just isn't it. Close, and for some of us, close enough.

I don't have buyer's remorse. I have no plans on moving the piece at all, and I'll keep it along with my other PRS (I regret selling my first PRS and I told myself that unless I can't feed my family, they aren't going anywhere. I won't sell one to buy another, I'm never going to kick myself for selling one again. For what it's worth, that first one was a CE bolt"in" neck model). I don't feel that the value is best represented in the corners that are cut. I know that it's nit picking, but the things that bug me just do. The trem thing- seriously, why couldn't the trems be built to the same size? Even if it was overseas? The inlay material seems a poor choice too- plain white plastic. The case thing (and again, admittedly, I've never experienced so many people that were pro gig-bag before and it is definitely an eye-opener for me. My S2's gig bag is currently hanging from the hook in my closet (the hook is sweet) with my Matt Heafy 7 string LPC Epiphone (a darn nice player for the money).

Where are you gigging with multiple 4x12s? In most of the places I play, we're lucky to get drums, two 1x12 combos, a 1x15 bass amp and five people on the stage. And it seems like stairs, crossing the street, and/or double parking is always involved to load in.

I'm actually selling my Super Reverb to recoup the cost of my S2 because I never use it.
I've not played out in a few years, but I've kept all of my equipment. I generally only used 1 4x12 of my own, but one for the other guitar player wasn't uncommon. There were a few (and this was less than 20) shows where I had a JCM800 and Mesa Rectifier A/B each into 4x12 of their own. I remember some of the first shows I played were the "punk shows" where there was no "house sound." Drums weren't sent through a PA, amps weren't either...it was just go loud (I was in my late teens then) We basically had to use loud amps to be heard lol! More the point I was making was, that when helping carry the rest of the band equipment in (I was the rare bird that would help everyone carry their stuff) what's a case in the grand scheme of things?

I guess the inlays don't bother me, but I have the Standard, with the dot inlays, saved me a little money, and I wasn't really wanting the birds in any event. The Core model birds do look a lot nicer, I would agree. If I get a S2 Custom 24, then I think I have no choice but to get the birds - sort of wish PRS would make it an option on all of the S2 line. The dots seem more in keeping with the lower key aspect of what is the S2.

I would prefer a hsc, but what are you going to do. I actually think the SE gig bag is as nice or nicer than the S2. Maybe they're the same, just different colors. I could go to Rondo Music, and get a decent generic hsc for maybe $60 or so, I might do that. The Epi Matt Heafy does indeed look like a nice model, wouldn't mind one of those at all.

I guess the inlays don't bother me, but I have the Standard, with the dot inlays, saved me a little money, and I wasn't really wanting the birds in any event. The Core model birds do look a lot nicer, I would agree. If I get a S2 Custom 24, then I think I have no choice but to get the birds - sort of wish PRS would make it an option on all of the S2 line. The dots seem more in keeping with the lower key aspect of what is the S2.

I would prefer a hsc, but what are you going to do. I actually think the SE gig bag is as nice or nicer than the S2. Maybe they're the same, just different colors. I could go to Rondo Music, and get a decent generic hsc for maybe $60 or so, I might do that. The Epi Matt Heafy does indeed look like a nice model, wouldn't mind one of those at all.

I can see both sides here, pros and cons, gig bags vs. hard cases. I only have the one hard case that came with my Paul's and it is a beautiful Paisley case. I could see it drawing attention and sometimes that might not be so good. The Vela's gig bag is just as nice as the SE CU24's, I can't see any difference other than the color. The Vela did come with an additional piece of very firm foam shaped around the top of the head stock which I assume was for protection during shipping. It falls out because it is not attached, but I'm thinking of doing a velcro thing to keep it in there. Funny that the SE did not have that. The SE CU22 semi-hollow came from Ebay with a Parker gig bag. And I must say that I was impressed with the padding in it and how it absolutely surrounds the guitar with thicker padding than the SE or S2 gig bags. The seller of that claimed that it was a $100 bag and I guess it could be (just haven't looked).

So, if and when I get to the point of gigging in a band, I would take any of them in a bag. I don't expect, at my age, that I would be flying anywhere with one.

On the inlays, all mine have birds (just like them better), but of course the Paul's has the brush stroke birds. It is a bit strange that the Vela's birds are not as "pretty" as even the '12 SE CU22 semi-hollow's, but there is a 3 year difference and no doubt prices have risen some. But I figure at a distance of more than 10 feet (everybody who's ever been on stage knows about the 10 foot rule), who's gonna really know, or care. So, I'm OK with that.

Just felt like throwing in another $.02 in there. It's all in what you're used to in the end.

:top:

When I bought my S2, I bought an authentic PRS S2 case from sweet water, they ran some special and I had it inside of $80. I was very happy. Normal price was going to be a bit more than it should have been. On the topic of cases I'd say that my favorite is the SKB style with the bumpers and TSA latches that came with my import SLSMG. The case wasn't original to it, but the store threw it in. When I sold the guitar, I ended up using the case to replace one of my beat ones.

My SE7 should be here tomorrow. I'm anxious to see how that gig bag is/if it has differences between the S2. The S2 bag was like the perfect fit for the heafy LPC and the epiphone LP case is...weak. That hook- I love being able to hang the guitar in my closet.

On the inlaws- I loved my PRS CE24 with the "moons" (to me they were dots, I didn't even realize they had anything to them). When I bought my CE24, I didn't know much about PRS. I bought it because I wanted a custom 24 without birds, and with a bolt on neck...little did I know lol!

I've been playing my S2 a good bit (I have it in Eb, so when I play along with Eb songs, that's the one I grab quickly). I made an earlier comment that I would've liked a thin neck carve option, but 2 of my PRS have the "pattern regular" and quite frankly the difference to me isn't anything worth getting worked up over. I remember when I bought the S2 I compared it side by side with my Navarro. Allegedly the S2 pickups were the same "spec" as my Navarro, and honestly- you would have a hard time telling them apart, at least I did. At stage volume (in my bedroom Hah!) I couldn't discern a difference between the two guitars. I'm (I think from my reading) in the minority here, but I like the HFS and VB pickups a LOT. I'd say my favorite pickup set.

I don't like bird inlays anyway (in most instances), so the plain white are equally as gaudy to me as any other material they've used. I do find it interesting they didn't use some kind of faux mother of pearl or something, though.

I find zero differences between my SE gig bag and my S2 gig bag, except color and logos. Wait--I take that back. The S2 bag has a nicer "Made in China" label. :laugh:

My gig bag exceptions are my HBII and my acoustic. I feel like they have a fragility that necessitates the stronger protection of a hard shell.

My gig bag exceptions are my HBII and my acoustic. I feel like they have a fragility that necessitates the stronger protection of a hard shell.

I'll correct my previous statement. I use a hard case for acoustic as well, partially because it came with it, partially because of the added protection.

Back