Anyone own two or more of the S2 Series?

IRG

If so, which ones do you have, and do you feel they are fairly unique from each other?

Reason I ask, is I have a S2 Custom Standard 22, which I really like a lot. So much so, I might buy another from the series, but not quite sure which one yet.

Maybe the S2 Singlecut - reasoning, different body shape, maple top, bird inlays, different controls for more tones. Pickups are the same though, #7 - which by the way, I've been really impressed with.

The other I'm liking is the S2 Custom Standard 24th 30th Anniversary - reasoning, maple top, bird inlays, no pickguard like on the Standard, and different pickups, S2 HFS - so a little hotter, probably voiced for more of a heavier tone, which I would like.

The other ones I've seen are cool too; Vela - unique shape (not sure I like it yet or not), and the pickups are definitely unique, but not sure for what I play would work well, maybe. Mira, wouldn't be bad, but doesn't wow me. Anything with F holes doesn't do it for me at all. The S2 Standard Singlecut is cool, but other than body shape, the same specs as my 22.

I know I should consider a Core model, maybe. But that would require probably selling 3 guitars, one being I'm very fond of, and don't think I could ever do it (never say never). So the S2 is my price point, and I do like the look, feel and tone from what I have so far.

No one huh. Well maybe I gotta be the first, lol. I kinda like that plain simple vintage white. Maybe put a hotter pickup in the bridge though.

i have the s2 30th anniversary custom 24, very nice!!!! if I where to get another one and did not have the 24, that would be it. But, do not sell a semi-hollow short. check the video on the product page. If your truly looking for different, i second the Vela. I don't think you will have a hard time finding a place for one in your playing style.

I have a custom 24 and a singlecut.

Two totally different feels. I compare them like this: The singlecut is a battle axe, sounds heavy as hell. The Custom 24 is a samurai sword. Much more precise.

The quality is the same with both, Ive played live with them both. They are two completely different styles of guitar though. Hard to describe. Two totally different tools.

But after a year with one, and two months with the other, I love them both. If I buy another guitar, it will be the Vela, from the s2 line. These are the guitars for me. Ive said in my reviews that guys like me are their target market for this line. Working musicians/studio players....we dont have 3k to drop on ONE guitar thats going to be used all the time. So I may never get a core model. I dont see the practical appeal.

I tried to get a sister for my Mira when I found a nice price on a Starla. Sadly I was a little slow on clicking the mouse and lost it. But I'd still go for one of those.

I have a custom 24 and a singlecut.

Two totally different feels. I compare them like this: The singlecut is a battle axe, sounds heavy as hell. The Custom 24 is a samurai sword. Much more precise.

The quality is the same with both, Ive played live with them both. They are two completely different styles of guitar though. Hard to describe. Two totally different tools.

But after a year with one, and two months with the other, I love them both. If I buy another guitar, it will be the Vela, from the s2 line. These are the guitars for me. Ive said in my reviews that guys like me are their target market for this line. Working musicians/studio players....we dont have 3k to drop on ONE guitar thats going to be used all the time. So I may never get a core model. I dont see the practical appeal.

Thanks, great to hear. I played my S2 Standard 22 over the weekend a lot, and the SE Clint Lowery a lot as well. And they both sound quite different, although the S2 is in Drop D, the SE is in Drop C. Hotter pickups in the SE help too.

Trying to balance the need/want for another S2 and a new amp - maybe a Mesa Recto-Verb 25. The S2 Singlecut and the S2 Custom 24 are both high on my list. I do have a good LP, an Epi 1960 v3, stock Burstbuckers in it. Much more of a vintage tone with this guitar, which is nice, although I'm definitely playing heavier stuff now, and less classic/rock stuff. Same with my Strat, and my CS Fender Telecaster. Not sure I can ever part with the Tele though.

I own an S2 and the only way that I'd buy another one is if it was used. I just think that the corners that PRS cut to save a few dollars are kind of silly. I can't get over using the import bridge on the flagship model. I also think that trying to tell me that "players prefer gig bags" is complete nonsense. The first thing I did for it is bought a hard case. I think the inlays just being plastic kind of look...cheap, and I also think that only being able to get one neck carve is not something I enjoy either.

I own an S2 and the only way that I'd buy another one is if it was used. I just think that the corners that PRS cut to save a few dollars are kind of silly. I can't get over using the import bridge on the flagship model. I also think that trying to tell me that "players prefer gig bags" is complete nonsense. The first thing I did for it is bought a hard case. I think the inlays just being plastic kind of look...cheap, and I also think that only being able to get one neck carve is not something I enjoy either.

Save a "few" dollars? Hey, if you got a couple grand to throw away, more power to you. My S2 new was $1037 w/shipping. A new Custom 22 (Core) is over $3k. That's more than a few bucks.

The bridge is fine as is. Mine stays in tune well, good nut and locking tuners help. I don't expect to have the highest components from the Core line. The #7 pickups are pretty good too, better than the SE models for sure.

As far as the gig bag goes, yep, definitely cutting corners to save money. That's the whole point of the S2 line. Less expensive tops, no binding, previous generation pickups/bridge, same neck carve to simplify construction, but overall quite a good value. I don't think used S2 prices will be that much less - simply because the SE line has also gotten better and more expensive, so finding used S2's for SE prices isn't that realistic, imo. But if so, even a better deal.

I definitely would prefer to have a gig bag. I actually have an SE Singlecut, but the shop I got it from had a slightly dinged Core case that they gave me because they didn't have the original gig bag for it. The case is big and heavy and is definitely not fun to take around anywhere. I could see having it if I was a gigging/touring musician, but as an everyday player, I'd take the gig bag all day long.

This past December I paid $1400 for my S2 Singlecut. My first PRS coming into a home of Les Paul ,Custom Shop Lucille, a couple of Strats. I think S2's are $3000 guitars for half the money. If I were to get another one, it would be a semi-hollow. But, I only play for personal pleasure so I only have to please my ears and my hands. If I could change things it would be inlet covers and MOP birds. I do have a premium set of HB's and a custom harness ready to install, but I have that for all of my non-Fender guitars- I do them up for the pleasure of the process. So far, the tone of my S2 pleases me, but I do not play well enough to push any decent guitar to its limits.

I'm definitely in the pro gig bag camp. For playing local gigs, it's sooo much easier to load in/out. If I toured or used a band trailer, I'd buy an ATA case which will provide better protection than the regular PRS case anyway. Plus gig bags take up less space in my house and PRS gig bags are really great.

The SE vibrato bridge is a good piece of hardware, and it ain't exactly cheap. S2 is not intended to be flagship, that's what the Core line is for.

Anyway, I digress. I think either the S2CU24 or the Singlecut could be a good complement to the Standard 22. Just depends if you want that more focused, aggressive tone of the Custom 24 or the fuller, more vintage-inspired tone and feel of the Singlecut. I think the Mira is probably too close to the Standard 22. They're kind of the same thing except the bridge.

If you do think of a Core model, the older McCarty guitars are pretty affordable on eBay, etc. and do a great job getting those more classic, LP-inspired tones.

Save a "few" dollars? Hey, if you got a couple grand to throw away, more power to you. My S2 new was $1037 w/shipping. A new Custom 22 (Core) is over $3k. That's more than a few bucks.

The bridge is fine as is. Mine stays in tune well, good nut and locking tuners help. I don't expect to have the highest components from the Core line. The #7 pickups are pretty good too, better than the SE models for sure.

As far as the gig bag goes, yep, definitely cutting corners to save money. That's the whole point of the S2 line. Less expensive tops, no binding, previous generation pickups/bridge, same neck carve to simplify construction, but overall quite a good value. I don't think used S2 prices will be that much less - simply because the SE line has also gotten better and more expensive, so finding used S2's for SE prices isn't that realistic, imo. But if so, even a better deal.

I think you took my response out of context and there isn't a need to become defensive over my comments. I'll word it another way;
How much money did PRS save by changing out from a core trem to the import trem?
How much money did PRS save by going with a gig bag from a case?
How much money did PRS save by using horrendous looking white plastic for the inlays?

I made no mention of the top, binding, pickups (and I actually wasn't aware of the previous generation deal, I thought they were build overseas to the same spec as the USA models. That is, the HFS and Vintage Bass in my S2 Custom 24 are the same sound spec as my Custom 24 Navarro HFS and VB.

I also didn't say that you would ever find an S2 for SE prices. For the price of a NEW S2, you can purchase a used CE24 or even Custom 24 if you're looking hard. So I stand by my, the only way I'd ever buy another S2 is if I was buying used.
The case vs gig-bag thing If I'm gigging, I'm hauling 4x12's, heads, and multiple cases. A gig bag wouldn't make a big difference to me in the grand scheme of things.

How much money did PRS save by changing out from a core trem to the import trem?
How much money did PRS save by going with a gig bag from a case?
How much money did PRS save by using horrendous looking white plastic for the inlays?

No idea what it's saving them, but they're saying that you are saving $225 on the bridge and around a $100 on the case. That's fairly significant "savings" right there.

I also think that trying to tell me that "players prefer gig bags" is complete nonsense. The first thing I did for it is bought a hard case.

I did the opposite and got rid of all but one hard case for my guitars and replaced them with some excellent gig bags. Makes life easy as I can make it from point A to B with just one trip, but I only take one of my combo amps, stuff bag and one or two guitars.

I'll be 100% honest with you guys, this is the first I've heard of anyone, let alone multiple people preferring a gig bag over a case. It really does surprise me. In my locale it's case, case, case. When you buy a new piece, does it come with a case? Almost every guitar I've bought or sold has had the question "case included" with it. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I agree with Mike, and I save the hard cases in case there`s hard travel involved. Paul travels with a gig bag. Don`t forget, there`s a hook in the top of the gig bag if you can talk your flight attendant into letting you hang it up in the bigboys closet.

While travelling I've bumped into several working musicians in airports who used gig backs, with the most popular seeming to be the Mono Dual. After talking with some of them they swear by a good bag as they gig in clubs and hotels everywhere from Mexico to Nashville and wouldn't take the risk of their guitars not showing up on the baggage carousel.
Now I would never travel with a Les Paul in any kind of gig bag, but then I would still worry about it in a hard case anyway. On the other hand PRS, Fenders and MM are made of sterner stuff and allow the option of using something less than a full blown road case. Just some great options these days for how we travel with our guitars.

Note also that S2's are scarfed at the neck/ headstock making them stronger there. But I must admit this is my first fine quality guitar without a hardshell, and getting one stays on my mind. My guitars don't travel, but they are usually cased unless being played and I manage humidity with cases. Lately my S2 and R. Cray Strat are on stands- no kids and dog is a long coat Chihuahua. I prefer shaped cases- the standard Fender and PRS cases are too bulky. Where can I get contoured cases for my non Gibson guitars?

Back