Anyone Ever Put Super 58s in a PRS?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by CantankerousCarl, Aug 29, 2012.

1. CantankerousCarl

CantankerousCarl Occasionally Onery Member

I have two vintage Ibanez Roadstars with the original Maxon Super 58 pickups (Alnico III).

I am absolutely smitten with these pickups, esp. in the neck position - probably the closest this everyman will come to a 59 LP. I love all of my PRS, but this is one sound I just cannot get from any of them.

Anyone (CR?) every throw a set of the real Super 58s into a PRS...any PRS?

I know that Ibanez made a decent guitar in the early 80s, but I am thinking that one of my Maryland PRS might make a better vehicle. I don't have a HB, was thinking maybe the Mira, or the SE245.

Just an idea...not much of a tinkerer, but any experience or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

2. CantankerousCarl

So, I will take the resounding silence as a "no" so let's go for a different angle...

What is the most PAF sounding PRS pickup, and/or what model of PRS do y'all feel might pair well with a PAF...or maybe someone played around with Fralin Pure PAFs?

3. crgtr

crgtr Twang Banger

Not me. If I had a set you know I WOULD!!!!!! May have to start trolling ebay...............

4. CantankerousCarl

The real ones are 'SPENSIVE probably $350+ a pair when you can find them.

5. Herr Squid

Herr Squid I was severely impressed

Oif! I paid $200 or $250 for an Ibanez lawsuit Les Paul copy and a blackface Fender Deluxe in about 1986. The Ibanez had those pickups in it. Of course I had to "upgrade" and I think I stuck a Gibson Velvet Brick in the bridge. Then I let 'em all get away...