Anyone else wish there was an MT15 with EL34s and a little less gain?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by kselbee, Jan 8, 2020.

1. kselbee

kselbee New Member

The MT15 seems like an incredible amp for the money. But I'm more of an EL34 guy and not really into metal. Would LOVE to see something like the MT15 with EL34s and a bit less gain.

LSchefman likes this.
  2. BrianC

BrianC more toys than talent

I put EL's in mine as well as a few other tricks. Its just a different amp than that. It is great at what it was designed for. I too wish for something a little different than what is offered.

LSchefman likes this.
  3. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Easy enough to change tubes to EL34 if that is what you like. When changing output tubes, be sure to check/set the idle bias. You can easily substitute a 5751, or 12AY7, in any/all of the preamp positions, for less gain. A 12AT7 in the PI spot would also be great for reducing gain.

LSchefman and andy474x like this.
  4. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

Or turn down the gain knob?

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

If you pick up something like a used HXDA, you’ll have exactly what you’re looking for.

It won’t be a little lunchbox, but it’ll sound great and be a real-deal thing.

bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  6. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

I don't think things always work that way. Things are voiced to sound best with a certain range of clipping.

7. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

Brian C and I played with the EL34s and Bias etc , To me there was no taming the modern gain sound of the amp, it was also very tight almost a lack of sustain kind of thing to my ears great for heavy tones and chugging rhythm

8. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules New and improved member

The amp tone is pretty pre-amp driven. I didn't figure changing power tubes would make a huge difference. And, it sounds like it's locked down pretty tight, maybe with NFB. Makes for better chugging but less sustain. That's just a guess though on the latter.

Black Plaid likes this.