Anyone else wish there was an MT15 with EL34s and a little less gain?

kselbee

The MT15 seems like an incredible amp for the money. But I'm more of an EL34 guy and not really into metal. Would LOVE to see something like the MT15 with EL34s and a bit less gain.

I put EL's in mine as well as a few other tricks. Its just a different amp than that. It is great at what it was designed for. I too wish for something a little different than what is offered.

Easy enough to change tubes to EL34 if that is what you like. When changing output tubes, be sure to check/set the idle bias. You can easily substitute a 5751, or 12AY7, in any/all of the preamp positions, for less gain. A 12AT7 in the PI spot would also be great for reducing gain.

Brian C and I played with the EL34s and Bias etc , To me there was no taming the modern gain sound of the amp, it was also very tight almost a lack of sustain kind of thing to my ears great for heavy tones and chugging rhythm

Brian C and I played with the EL34s and Bias etc , To me there was no taming the modern gain sound of the amp, it was also very tight almost a lack of sustain kind of thing to my ears great for heavy tones and chugging rhythm

The amp tone is pretty pre-amp driven. I didn't figure changing power tubes would make a huge difference. And, it sounds like it's locked down pretty tight, maybe with NFB. Makes for better chugging but less sustain. That's just a guess though on the latter.

The MT 15 is a modern voiced high gain amp on the crunch side and even at the bottom of the gain it's pretty saturated. Yes you can open the amp up some with some different pre amp tubes as the JJ's are very dark and a set of EL 34's instead of the 6L6's will drastically change the mid structure. A set of EL 34's will give the amp more mid punch and more of a modded Marshal vibe rather than the American high gain vibe it has like a Soldano, 5150 or Boogie so will definitely change the amps character. The MT 15 is a great amp for what it was designed to do but he crunch side won't do mid gain stuff well unless you use touch and roll the guitar volume down then the amps will open up and clean up well. In particular these amps respond well to mid output Alnico mag pickups and is one thing I absolutely love about them!!
I own a MT 15 and a Archon 50 head and love what these amps do but if you are looking for more Classic rock to blues tones maybe something like a 2 channel C head is what you want. At some point I may grab one of those also for the more classic rock tones. Have a Boogie DC 5 head now but my Archon is killing it in tones so thinking of selling the DC 5 to fund a C head.

Last edited:
I'm not knocking what your saying, I'm just curious.

The MT15 amp and associated Cabinet were designed and built to Mark's design specifications and tonal desires. If you change tubes and ultimately output tones, aren't you in effect cancelling out Tremonti's amp structure and creating your own? I mean, whats the point of buying a MT15 if youre just turn it into something else? For that matter, why not just buy an DIY amp kit and build your own?

I'm not knocking what your saying, I'm just curious.

The MT15 amp and associated Cabinet were designed and built to Mark's design specifications and tonal desires. If you change tubes and ultimately output tones, aren't you in effect cancelling out Tremonti's amp structure and creating your own? I mean, whats the point of buying a MT15 if youre just turn it into something else? For that matter, why not just buy an DIY amp kit and build your own?

In some ways, it's like changing pickups, or even string brand/gauge on a guitar. You like the package, but making tweaks is the norm for a lot of people.

"I like this, but this change might make it better for me."

Even buying an amp kit is the same thing. The amp kit was designed to be something (at least the vast majority of the are). You can make tweaks, but I really isn't too different from buying any amp and tweaking.

In some ways, it's like changing pickups, or even string brand/gauge on a guitar. You like the package, but making tweaks is the norm for a lot of people.

"I like this, but this change might make it better for me."

Even buying an amp kit is the same thing. The amp kit was designed to be something (at least the vast majority of the are). You can make tweaks, but I really isn't too different from buying any amp and tweaking.
I can see your point. I'm guilty of modding my SE245 with a different bridge and tuners, so it makes sense.

Back