Anyone else reading Joe Satriani's book?

"Strange Beautiful Music"

So far I'm really enjoying it.
Anyone else?

Will have to check it out soon. Satch is the boss. Grew up listening to The Extremist and still consider it my number one favorite of all time guitar record.

I have it on audible, but haven't listened to it or about 4 other books I've got recently yet. If the weather warms up some so I can go comfortably do some projects in the garage, ill start catching up.

Definitely want to pick this up. Got to meet Joe briefly last year - very nice guy.

But next up will likely be Paul Stanley's book. I just finished Bob Saget's - very funny. Very much like hearing him talk, which usually makes for a good read.

I haven't read Joe's book yet. How is it? I don't remember what's coming up in my stack... I'm finishing up "No Country for Old Men" by McCarthy right now. I caught the end of the movie a few days ago and decided to reread the book.

Lloyd

Well Loyd, if you're a Satriani fan you would find it interesting.
I'm only about a third of the way through it, but it's interesting to me because he was breaking ground on a genre that wasn't accepted at the time.

His writing is overly technical with too many big words for my tastes.. there's just not enough soul. :tongue:

I'll read any biography about any musician, I'll keep an eye out for this one.

Any cool stuff about groupies, waking up in Tijuana wearing an Iron Man costume or how all his guitar parts on Surfing with the Alien were ghosted by Lesteban?
After all, I have literary standards that must be met.

USA Today had this tag line under a picture of an early Joe band.
Rock guitarist Joe Satriani, second from right, spent his teenage years playing in a variety of New York City-area cover bands, including a stink in funk ensemble City Funktion.(Photo: Courtesy of Joe Satriani)

I think they meant "stank", not "stink", and that would have been a cool group to hear.

Last edited:
Any cool stuff about groupies, waking up in Tijuana wearing an Iron Man costume or how all his guitar parts on Surfing with the Alien were ghosted by Lesteban?
After all, I have literary standards that must be met.

USA Today had this tag line under a picture of an early Joe band.

I think they meant "stank", not "stink", and that would have been a cool group to hear.
Lol, think they meant "stint".
Funny thing according to the biography he didn't play with too many bands in the NY area except the funk band, until he moved to the Bay area.
I don't want to ruin it but it gets interesting from there.

Back