Anybody using the new Yamaha THR10II Wireless?

ScottR

If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.
So, I just sold my CV and my Boss ME-80. The Ginger Goddess finally landed a great job so for the first time in 7 years, there will finally be some extra income flowing in! Wooo Hooo!!

Anyway, I'm in the process of saving up till around December for a maple neck SS:). But, in the meantime...I'm in search of a good practice amp. Apartment living and a$$hole neighbors don't jive well with anything really loud. So I've been researching some of the better wireless ones. I've narrowed it down to the new(ish) Yamaha THR10II Wireless.

I was stoked about the Positive Grid Spark until I heard a few horror stories.

I know some of you guys have or had the earlier version of the THRs and I wanted to find out if anybody has snagged one of the new wireless ones yet? If so, what are your thoughts, likes or dislikes? The only con I can see is, for a small practice amp it's a bit on the pricey side...especially if you add on the Line 6 wireless transmitter. Honestly cables don't bother me because 95% of the time, I play while I'm sitting. Any feedback would be much appreciated as always.:cool:

I've got an original cream one. I use it a lot, specially when out of the "guitar room" in the lounge or outside. They sound pretty decent, allow you to tweak a bit - but not to the point of option paralysis, act as a good speaker for plugging your phone through and don't do a bad job as a recording interface. I have a whole bunch of eneloop rechargeable batteries in mine - they last for ages which is great for some alfresco playing.

I think there is not a whole lot of difference in the quality of the sounds in the new ones, though they do have access to more amp models, and the speakers are larger and more powerful on the biggest model. Main advantages are the bluetooth connection, so no wires to your phone this time, which also allows you to control the edit software (there is a 3rd party app on the old one that allows for editing via your phone rather than a computer, but you need to use the USB wires) and the wireless guitar input on the larger models (but you have to pay extra for the transmitter).

Be warned though that I think only the biggest one has a rechargeable battery in it. There's not even a way of using AA batteries in the smaller ones anymore. So if you want flexibility you really need to get the most expensive one they make. If you're not too worried about bluetooth, it might just be worth getting one of the older models cheap.

I've got an original cream one. I use it a lot, specially when out of the "guitar room" in the lounge or outside. They sound pretty decent, allow you to tweak a bit - but not to the point of option paralysis, act as a good speaker for plugging your phone through and don't do a bad job as a recording interface. I have a whole bunch of eneloop rechargeable batteries in mine - they last for ages which is great for some alfresco playing.

I think there is not a whole lot of difference in the quality of the sounds in the new ones, though they do have access to more amp models, and the speakers are larger and more powerful on the biggest model. Main advantages are the bluetooth connection, so no wires to your phone this time, which also allows you to control the edit software (there is a 3rd party app on the old one that allows for editing via your phone rather than a computer, but you need to use the USB wires) and the wireless guitar input on the larger models (but you have to pay extra for the transmitter).

Be warned though that I think only the biggest one has a rechargeable battery in it. There's not even a way of using AA batteries in the smaller ones anymore. So if you want flexibility you really need to get the most expensive one they make. If you're not too worried about bluetooth, it might just be worth getting one of the older models cheap.

Thank you my man! Thats some great info! I really appreciate it!

I had the THR10 (1st version) and it was awesome - was a great recording tool too! I sold it a while ago then recently picked up the THR 10 ii for home practice and doing some recording. It is a great sounding amp as expected, HOWEVER I just can't use it for recording easily at all like I could the first one. The thing is the 1st gen was plug and play with the USB port - my DAW (Studio One 4) picked the input up, let me select it then recorded with two tracks at the same time one dry signal and the other the amp tome plus effects. It was amazing and no latency at all. The Gen 2 unit I got is NOT plug and play. It's anything but. Firstly it's not picked up by the DAW at all (same DAW as last time) and there are no official driver downloads for this functionality that work with it. The Steinberg ones that you can download aren't registering anything so I had to use ASIO4ALL which is a 3rd party tool. This causes latency for me no matter which setting I put it on and it only allows one (full amp and effects) track to be recorded at once. The only other option I had was to use a mini-jack from the headphone out into the input of my Focusrite Scarlett USB interface. This was so noisy and hissy it was useless.
Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just deeply unsatisfied with the G2 version of this amp that I'm going to sell it and get something that I can record with instead.
If just practicing through it is all you want to do then you'll be happy but don't bother if you want to use it as a recording interface also.

Back