Anybody into StarTrek Strange New Worlds?

I’ve watched a lot of Star Trek, but my enjoyment of it really fell off with Enterprise. The new movies don’t do anything for me. They’re just action movies, wrapped in a familiar (maybe) setting. I generally don’t like old characters being changed, as I enjoy the old characters for what they were.

That’s my problem with “new” Star Wars, too. It’s the same stories being retold, with old characters being brought in to try to create continuity where no continuity exists. With such a big playground, just start fresh. Give me something new while giving me the gift of compartmentalizing my old memories and nostalgia.

And the new SW movies never had a chance with anyone who read Zahn’s books. The books were just too good.
I'm pretty much done with Star Wars. Ill admit, I liked Ep. 7, but mainly because it accomplished what it was trying to do and was fairly tight, despite the JJ Abrams hallmarks that I don't like. Ill just appreciate the old films for what they are and not bother with anything modern.

Consequently, they tried to do that with LotR in Rings of Power, modernize Tolkien and gaslighting people into thinking his writing wasn't relevant anymore. However if there's one thing about us Tolkien nerds...we are stubborn. I think we got the message across we aren't gonna support your fanfiction.

I'm pretty much done with Star Wars. Ill admit, I liked Ep. 7, but mainly because it accomplished what it was trying to do and was fairly tight, despite the JJ Abrams hallmarks that I don't like. Ill just appreciate the old films for what they are and not bother with anything modern.

Consequently, they tried to do that with LotR in Rings of Power, modernize Tolkien and gaslighting people into thinking his writing wasn't relevant anymore. However if there's one thing about us Tolkien nerds...we are stubborn. I think we got the message across we aren't gonna support your fanfiction.
Me too. Might watch a new one on TV but I don't consider any of the new StarWars films to be part of the official canon.

These new StarTreks are very good though!

Me too. Might watch a new one on TV but I don't consider any of the new StarWars films to be part of the official canon.

These new StarTreks are very good though!
Ill give a pass to the first JJ Abrams Trek film. Phenomenal casting (maybe the best casting job I've seen in recent memory), exciting and fun tone, tight execution...it's very good. It's not the Star Trek I love, but I can appreciate it for what it is. The rest? Nah.

Back