Any Love for the EG-SE?

nicolasrivera

I bought this guitars back in 08'and every time i pick her up i love it, the neck shape is one of the most confortable and perfect size necks i have in any guitar, she has suffered some modifications over the years, right now it has two WIZZ P.A.F Pickups and one of the original SC, Phase II Tuners, a small switch that connects the neck and bridge together like on LP's and thats about it...ooohh and 500K audio taper pots.

I had about 3 other SE's but the EG continues to be the best SE i have played.

Yes love over here too! I have an EG that I modded too and then I pulled it apart and it's still Humpty Dumpty...

Yours is most excellent, is that switch like a series/parallel switch?

I really dig the SE EG, too. I have its sibling, the SE Soapbar II, which is the same guitar except with P-90's and rear-routed. Sometimes I wish I'd bought an EG instead. Perfect platform for mods.

Just picked one up last week on craigslist. Got a great deal, another guys wife making him thin down the heard. Much love right now. It's white with the tortoise pick guard, 3 single coils and a tremolo. Gives me a different sound to go along with my 408 and Stripped 58. Thinking about upgrading the pups but want to keep it single coils all around, any suggestions ?

+3 for SE EG love - one for each in my stable. Two trems, one stoptail, all SSS. Love love love them. Admittedly, I'm not a strat guy - I think these guys (all 3) kick the snot out of my American Standard Strat - which cost me more than the lot of them.

Maybe it's not a fair comparison, but I prefer the tone of the SE EGs - plenty of quack, but they don't get brittle or harsh like Strats can, and there's ALOT more bottom end

Thinking about upgrading the pups but want to keep it single coils all around, any suggestions ?

Been listening to alot of Andy Timmons lately, been thinking about going with DiMarzio "The Cruisers" or maybe going all the way, getting an HSS pickguard and going for the AT-1 in the bridge.

I really like the sound of the Fralin Split-Blades as well, reminds me alot of the above. Plus Lindy is a really cool guy, called up once to ask a question about P90s and ended up chatting with him for about 15 minutes.

To be fair, those are technically humbuckers, but they sound very single-coiley. Straight up I like the clips of the Fralin Blues Special and the Bare Knuckle Irish Tours I have heard. Have no idea what those would do on a mahogany guitar though...

Last edited:
I really like the sound of the Fralin Split-Blades as well, reminds me alot of the above. Plus Lindy is a really cool guy, called up once to ask a question about P90s and ended up chatting with him for about 15 minutes.
I am about as far out of the loop as it gets when talking about strat-sized pickups, but those would be my 1st stop, mainly because Fralin's pickups are all excellent, and you're right, he's a great guy. I spent around an hour on the phone with him across two or three calls concerning one set of pickups. He was great, very accessible.

I've also got a white, 3 single coil and stoptail SE EG named 'Snowy'. I got it just because I'd been wanting a Strat but don't really like the necks or trems on most of them! The SE's WF is perfect for me and the pickups sound really good in all 5 positions. There's virtually no volume drop in the 2 & 4 positions and there are a lot of really good tones in there. In fact it's become my #1 for playing live and rehearsing over my HB Spruce and the McCarty soapbar that I've since sold. I replaced the nut, pots and added Tone Pros studs and shielded the cavities and it is just a great axe.

Jim

Back