Another New One: Instinct

László

Too Many Notes
Welp. I just keep doing this stuff. In this one there are some electronic sounds upfront, but then the piece gradually becomes orchestral. Like the previous one, it's kind of textural more than melodic in the beginning, and then becomes a bit more melodic about halfway in.

I know. I really should just shut up and play my guitar, right? But I can't...seem...to...stop composing these darn scores! Maybe I just need to follow the creative muse and not worry about it.

https://persistenceofmemory.band/single/42043/instinct

Les, you are usually quite astute. Questioning whether to follow your creative muse is silly. Of course you should follow your muse. Plus you should be grateful that the muse is a regular visitor and that you have the talent to bring it to life. Leave it to we talentless to shut up and just play guitar. BTW, very nice composition.

Thanks - you know what happens with this stuff? I start messing around with some sounds, say on a synth like in this piece, and then I get inspired, an idea happens, and suddenly things just develop, almost as if I wasn't doing the work, as if I was just listening to the work. I'm not even fully consciously participating until I start revising, fixing things, messing with the arrangement and tempo, etc.

The subconscious has tremendous power, and I think that's where some of this comes from. There are times I wonder if everyone has the ability to do this, but it's harder to tap into your subconscious if you don't practice it all the time?

Anyway, after about 3 minutes of music I feel ready to do something different. Because I'm so used to short pop songs!

;)

Last edited:
Welp. I just keep doing this stuff. In this one there are some electronic sounds upfront, but then the piece gradually becomes orchestral. Like the previous one, it's kind of textural more than melodic in the beginning, and then becomes a bit more melodic about halfway in.

I know. I really should just shut up and play my guitar, right? But I can't...seem...to...stop composing these darn scores! Maybe I just need to follow the creative muse and not worry about it.

https://persistenceofmemory.band/single/42043/instinct

Hans Zimmer can retire! There is a new Cat in town

Gee golly, I hope there was a happy ending! I was kinda' scared at points!! You just keep doin' this stuff because you like it, and so do we, so just keep doin' this stuff!!! Thanks for sharing!

Happy doin'!
MW

Gee golly, I hope there was a happy ending! I was kinda' scared at points!! You just keep doin' this stuff because you like it, and so do we, so just keep doin' this stuff!!! Thanks for sharing!

Happy doin'!
MW

It's kind of dark in spots. Adds to the drama, perhaps?

Hans Zimmer can retire! There is a new Cat in town

Hans is livin' large. He's not going anywhere.

I got a real Holst vibe from this piece.

Interesting! I've always liked his work.

That said, the chasm in talent between a Holst and a Les is about as wide as...oh...the universe, with me at the 'lack of talent' and and Holst at the 'holy crap what talent' end. Not to mention the whole skill at orchestration thing.

And, um...mastery of music theory, which I make no claim to. Stuff like that. :p

My fate:

"Hey, isn't that Les' urn?"

"I dunno. Who's Les?"

"He wrote music for commercials, and did some electronic and orchestral music for sh!ts and grins."

"No wonder his urn's in this dumpster, then. Do you think we should take it out of the dumpster? Seems disrespectful if someone threw it away by accident."

"Nah. Gotta figure it's in there on purpose. Take it to the landfill with the rest of the trash."

Sic semper gloria.

"Say, wasn't gloria the name of a song Les learned to play in 1965?"

"Who knows what the hell happened in 1965."

Last edited:

That said, the chasm in talent between a Holst and a Les is about as wide as...oh...the universe, with me at the 'lack of talent' and and Holst at the 'holy crap what talent' end. Not to mention the whole skill at orchestration thing.

And, um...mastery of music theory, which I make no claim to. Stuff like that. :p

My fate:

"I dunno. Who's Les?"

"He wrote music for commercials, and did some electronic and orchestral music for sh!ts and grins."

"No wonder his urn's in this dumpster, then. Do you think we should take it out of the dumpster? Seems disrespectful if someone threw it away by accident."

"Nah. Gotta figure it's in there on purpose. Take it to the landfill with the rest of the trash."

Sic semper gloria.

Let me know what will be ingrained on the urn! I will keep an eye out for it!! As for talent, I think you got it covered, you are producing music on a commercial level that is fed to the nation!!! I am pretty sure the hacks don't get those gigs ;~)) Keep 'em comin'!

EDIT: I need to add that, one of your many talents (based on what I have heard so far) is evoking images in the mind of the listener, which I believe is immensely more "talent" driven than knowing some extra theory!!!

Last edited:

My fate:

"I dunno. Who's Les?"

Sic semper gloria.

I said it was a vibe! ;)

My brother wants to mix them with oil paint and use them in a painting.

Which, OK, seems a little gross! :eek:
I actually like that idea! I have been saying for the past few years, that I want to be fed to animals. I have been eating them my whole life, so why not give back!! My only concern is the toxins in my body killing them! I want to extend their life not shorten it!! Anyway, I think the painting idea is fab! I would at least let him have a portion of the ashes!! Maybe ask him to ensure it is a Les portrait! With real Les in the mix!!!

I actually like that idea! I have been saying for the past few years, that I want to be fed to animals. I have been eating them my whole life, so why not give back!! My only concern is the toxins in my body killing them! I want to extend their life not shorten it!! Anyway, I think the painting idea is fab! I would at least let him have a portion of the ashes!! Maybe ask him to ensure it is a Les portrait! With real Les in the mix!!!

Here are some of his paintings. I'd be happy to be 'in' anything he paints, but on the other hand I'll be dead, so I won't know!

http://www.robertschefman.com/new-work---secrets-project.html

Back