Amp Reconfiguration Day

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
Today is "Boogie Reconfiguration Day". (The Super Dallas is perfect, so I'm not changing a thing on it) Lugging a small 62lbs. combo has pissed me off for the last time. So out came the head shell. If I could remember to mount the fan before installing the amp, it would have taken 10 minutes to complete, but nooooo. :L Anyway, while things were apart, it was time for a tube roll. Out came V1, V2, and V3...a M/B SPAX7, M/B 12ax7, and Tung Sol 12ax7 respectively. In went all NOS...RFT 12ax7, Baldwin-labeled Sylvania 12ax7, and RFT 12ax7, again, respectively. Dybbuk made sure I got it right.

boogiehead.jpg

dybbuk_boogie.jpg

The amp instantly dropped 30+ lbs. and got a great tonal colonic. The RFTs are a great way to warm up a bright amp. The MkIII uses V1 for ch1, V2 for ch2 and V3 for ch3, so you can see that I reserved the Sylvania for making ch2 a little more Fender voiced. Channel 2 cascades V1 into V2 so the flavor of each tube blends with the other. It makes for a fantastic pedal platform. Channel 1 remains beautiful but warmer and articulate. Ch2 can influence Ch3 if I keep that switch on w/ ch3 is engaged, which adds even more gain (as if you'd think that was possible). So warming ch3 takes the harshness right out. Plugging into my PRS 1x12 w/ a 16ohm V30 allows me to push the master a bit harder without destroying everything in the house, which is nice. In all, it's a great change of pace.

So you're saying your roadies are too old to carry the combo any more so you bust it up so they don't have to work so hard. Very kind of you.
Hey, I've only had real roadies once in my life...2 days ago. So if by roadie you mean me, then yes, I don't want to work so hard. The empty combo cab with the reverb tank and EV12L weigh more than the Super Dallas. Lay-Zee Boogie.

This time around I didn't move the reverb tank. That's unnecessary weight, and, last time it was a total PiTA to unwrap the tank. Honestly, I don't miss it and it's nothing the Flint can't cover. I forget how well this amp takes to a 16 ohm load.

This time around I didn't move the reverb tank. That's unnecessary weight, and, last time it was a total PiTA to unwrap the tank. Honestly, I don't miss it and it's nothing the Flint can't cover. I forget how well this amp takes to a 16 ohm load.

Interesting thing about amps and loads that work well for them, isn't it?

Interesting thing about amps and loads that work well for them, isn't it?
Understatement of the century! I know DG gets his fantastic tone with the Super Dallas and the 8 ohm pine 2x12, or used to, but I love this amp better at 16 ohms, regardless of the number of speakers. I'm exactly the same way with the MkIII. It's like a poor man's attenuator. Problem is, I need to find someone to trade me 2 PRS V30s in 8ohms for my two in 4 ohms. :D

Last edited:
Understatement of the century! I know DG gets his fantastic tone with the Super Dallas and the 8 ohm pine 2x12, or used to, but

DG would get his fantastic tone with a string and a paper cup attached to his guitar, I think!

Looks like your cat did a nice job on the QA gig, no doubt letting you know which tubes were too cool and needed biasing!

The other cat was warming the inside of the shell before I tried to slide the amp in. So much help. So much cat hair in my gear. :rolleyes:
samieye.jpg

Back