Advice for buying a used Hollowbody II?

Quasimixture

I tried a new 594 Hollowbody II a few weeks ago and fell in love with it after previously only looking at SE hollowbodies. I've now been stalking Reverb mostly looking to snag one that's within my budget but there were a few things I wasn't sure about that maybe someone here can help with.

First, what's the difference in sound and playability between the standard Hollowbody II (with or without piezo) and the McCarty 594 HBII? I've played two different 594s but I can't seem to find any place in my state that has a standard HBII that I could play! I prefer a longer scale length so point for the HBII and from what one store owner told me the HBII has a smaller neck than the 594 which I also would prefer if true. Is it true that in order of thickest to thinnest necks it goes SE HB>594>HBII?

Second, how much of a difference does the age make in terms of changing the specs? I know some older models have different pickups. In general, I'd want this guitar to be the same sound as the 594s I've tried out with 58/15 pickups but with the longer scale length and potentially thinner neck of the HBII. Any differences with going with an older, cheaper model from the 2000s or late 90s and potentially upgrading pickups vs getting one that's been made the last few years?

Lastly, and thanks if you've made it this far past my wall of text, I'm not sure asking for advice on price is against forum rules but if it is, does anyone have a good resource on the values of secondhand PRS guitars? I've only been able to use Reverb's price guides but there's just not a ton of info since HBIIs don't sell very often.

The McCarty 594 HBII will have the "Pattern Vintage" neck carve, which feels (in my subjective experience) slightly chunkier than the "Pattern" neck carve that will be on the latest Hollowbody II guitars. But that slight difference could make a big difference to the individual--I, for one, much prefer the "Pattern" neck if I can get it. (Or, there's some people who like them both! Neck profiles are one of the most subjective things about guitars.)

Regarding the pickups, the currently-new models both have the 58/15 LT pickups; however if you go back a few years (the 58/15 LT isn't very old) the Hollowbody II will have had something different ("Archtop" pickups, I believe?). And the McCarty 594 HBII simply won't exist if you go back to that point, as well, since it's much newer than the Hollowbody II.

The neck carve isn't the only difference. The 594 has a 24.594" scale length and ToM style bridge. It also comes with individual tone/volume pots for each pick up and the Tone pots are push/pull so you can split the Magnetics - giving you '8' distinct different pickup selection choices. The HBii as standard comes with a 3-way and a master tone/volume as well as a wraparound style adjustable bridge with individual Piezos under each saddle. Of course it comes with a Pre-Amp for the Piezo built in too. Another difference, at least with 'stock' guitars is the String Gauge and type - the HBii comes with 11's and a wrapped 3rd...

Newer HBii's come with the same 58/15 LT pups, the same as the 594. There isn't a massive difference if comparing the HB tones - but the HBii allows for blending in the Piezo to add 'sparkle' to the sound. It can also double up as an 'Acoustic' guitar - at least a 'plugged' in Acoustic, not a mic'd acoustic. The 594 though will also give you the split coil tones and of course the ability to 'blend' different neck and bridge tones thanks to individual volume and Tone pots.

If you are just comparing the 3 HB magnetic positions on both, then there isn't a massive difference. However, when you look at what else these guitars offer, they are very different. Its these differences that should determine which model is right for you. Do you want individual tone/volume controls and the ability to use Split coils or would you rather have a Piezo and the options that offers? To me, that is the biggest question to answer. I know the neck and scale length changes how they feel to play but to me, what they offer is more important.

I have both a HBii and a 594HB because they are quite different guitars despite having some 'common' ground too. I justified my Purchase of the 594HB because it has Split Coil tones and the ability to blend too giving even greater variety of tones than my HBii can offer through its 'magnetics' but couldn't get rid of my HBii because its offering unique options with the Piezo...

This is my 2018 HBii with Piezo and 1 Piece Top/back
UzQSZTB.jpg

And this is my 594HBii
vTZuoJh.jpg

Good luck in your search...

The neck carve isn't the only difference. The 594 has a 24.594" scale length and ToM style bridge. It also comes with individual tone/volume pots for each pick up and the Tone pots are push/pull so you can split the Magnetics - giving you '8' distinct different pickup selection choices. The HBii as standard comes with a 3-way and a master tone/volume as well as a wraparound style adjustable bridge with individual Piezos under each saddle. Of course it comes with a Pre-Amp for the Piezo built in too. Another difference, at least with 'stock' guitars is the String Gauge and type - the HBii comes with 11's and a wrapped 3rd...

Newer HBii's come with the same 58/15 LT pups, the same as the 594. There isn't a massive difference if comparing the HB tones - but the HBii allows for blending in the Piezo to add 'sparkle' to the sound. It can also double up as an 'Acoustic' guitar - at least a 'plugged' in Acoustic, not a mic'd acoustic. The 594 though will also give you the split coil tones and of course the ability to 'blend' different neck and bridge tones thanks to individual volume and Tone pots.

If you are just comparing the 3 HB magnetic positions on both, then there isn't a massive difference. However, when you look at what else these guitars offer, they are very different. Its these differences that should determine which model is right for you. Do you want individual tone/volume controls and the ability to use Split coils or would you rather have a Piezo and the options that offers? To me, that is the biggest question to answer. I know the neck and scale length changes how they feel to play but to me, what they offer is more important.

I have both a HBii and a 594HB because they are quite different guitars despite having some 'common' ground too. I justified my Purchase of the 594HB because it has Split Coil tones and the ability to blend too giving even greater variety of tones than my HBii can offer through its 'magnetics' but couldn't get rid of my HBii because its offering unique options with the Piezo...

This is my 2018 HBii with Piezo and 1 Piece Top/back
UzQSZTB.jpg

And this is my 594HBii
vTZuoJh.jpg

Good luck in your search...
I need a cigarette. Those guitar images made me blow...my mind! Stunning, quite stunning!

I have an SE HB II Piezo and a S2 594 DC (no comparison to these fine examples posted, damn!) and wanted to say the scales lengths and bridges make these very different beasts. Either it be will sound great. They both have same pickups (in my example) but have different tone.

Good luck!

Back