Advice: Best places to find PRS guitars?

RocknPop

Hi guys, I’m once again having PRS fever :)

I want to buy a PRS, not sure which one, likely something with Soapbars. But, I’m finding that the traditional market places are thin on inventory or ridiculously overpriced (to the tune of 30-40% above fair price).

What are your guys’ go-tos for buying? (Other than Reverb, eBay, and TGP)

Secondary prices have been over inflated lately. Stock went low durning Covid, prices started creeping up, and they keep going up in a sellers market. Granted most of it sits for a while and takes price drops to sell but stilll frustrating for sure. Sone deals are out there but it takes patience.

Dave's is always a good place to look for fair pricing from a solid dealer.

It's a whole new world. What we once thought of as median pricing is now dirt cheap...

It's a whole new world. What we once thought of as median pricing is now dirt cheap...

It will go back down, some models are all already starting to . Stock was non existent at one point of Covid, stores were closed, people were selling gear to supplement income or house cleaning, and a record number of people picked up the guitar during quarantine. I can't remember the percentage increase for Fender Play but it was unbelievable number. Stock is still only trickling in for some brands and suppliers. In my experience the percentage of new guitar players that stick with it is very low. Over the years the ones I've helped learn or get started MAYBE 10/20% of them stuck with it. As time goes on and our lives get busy again we'll start to see a surplus of the gear bought during covid cycle back for ale and then we'll be in a buyers market.

It’ll take a long, long time for a meaningful amount of the guitars purchased last year to hit the market. That’ll happen slowly, too, rather than in a market-moving chunk.

A nice barometer is GC used inventory. They’re down to under 100 used PRS guitars around the US. A month ago, it was 130. Last March, they had 20 some CEs alone.

While I didn't buy my PRS there, I've had excellent experiences with Dave's Guitars. I was considering a couple PRSs at Dave's a few years ago but then found a used 2008 Mira at a GC. My Collings OM-1 acoustic was bought at Dave's, though.

Back