Active monitors. Anyone using Genelec?

Johnny Rigs

"Hold on to your butts" - Samuel L Jackson
After moving away from speaker cabs at home and adopting the loadbox/IR/monitors solution, I’m looking to find some better monitors. Currently have a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv’s, and one of them has to be sent back for warranty repair for the second time. I think I’d like to take this opportunity to put something else in there. I resist saying “studio monitors” because it’s basically a guitar rig (with a healthy amount of stereo effects), and not full mixes, that will be running through these.

I had considered the Focal Alpha 65 as a good balance between cost and quality. Though I’d probably have to drive down a place in Manhattan to listen to them. But then I got turned onto Genelec as an option. Their compact size is a advantage in my case. Of course their reputation precedes them, but I didn’t know they could be closer to my price range.

Any experience with them? The 8020D are not too far from the Alpha 65 price point. A worthwhile upgrade to what I have?

I don't have the Genelec's in my studio but I have used them in bigger facilities. They are great speakers have a wonderful sound. I am partial to JBL. I have 305s w/ a sub now and just ordered 705s as an upgrade. If you want a good balanced sound, the Genelec monitors should be great. Hunt down some reviews on the model you are looking at. I usually try to see if Sound on Sound magazine has anything published.

I’ve had several sets of Genelecs, and they’re great. My first was the 1031A eight inch woofer model, and most recent was a pair of 8040As that now live in my son’s studio in LA; he’s used them to track and mix a couple of records that went gold.

They’re also THE audio postproduction standard in every single audio post room in my area, without exception, including my production partner’s studio.

While I’m currently using a pair of Event Opals - no longer in production, sadly, as they were very expensive to make, and were Rode’s swing at the fences when they bought Event. If I had to replace them I’d 100% get a set of Genelec Ones.

The good thing about Genelecs is that the quality is uniform regardless of the size you buy, just get a pair that will work in your room, i.e., not too large, and not too small.

I have a dual stereo setup. I have a basic set of JBL 305s for normal use and then a pair of Headrush FRFR-112 cabs on the floor for running Line 6 Helix Native from my PC. I use a Mackie Big Knob to switch between the pairs.

I’ve had several sets of Genelecs, and they’re great. My first was the 1031A eight inch woofer model, and most recent was a pair of 8040As that now live in my son’s studio in LA; he’s used them to track and mix a couple of records that went gold.

They’re also THE audio postproduction standard in every single audio post room in my area, without exception, including my production partner’s studio.

While I’m currently using a pair of Event Opals - no longer in production, sadly, as they were very expensive to make, and were Rode’s swing at the fences when they bought Event. If I had to replace them I’d 100% get a set of Genelec Ones.

The good thing about Genelecs is that the quality is uniform regardless of the size you buy, just get a pair that will work in your room, i.e., not too large, and not too small.
Took a long time for me to actually order replacement monitors, but Sweetwater just delivered a pair of the Genelec 8020D. I think I’m going to enjoy them. Should post a photo of the updated rack setup soon..

Took a long time for me to actually order replacement monitors, but Sweetwater just delivered a pair of the Genelec 8020D. I think I’m going to enjoy them. Should post a photo of the updated rack setup soon..

Nice! Those are sweet in the right room, and you should hear them with a subwoofer at some point.

Back