A Proper Cup of Coffee

There are other factors too, but the longer coffee beans are roasted the less caffeine it will have. French Roast (the longest/darkest roasted coffee) has less caffeine but appears stronger tasting only because of the roasting time. Beans used for espresso are generally roasted longer than beans that would be used for drip coffee, Starbucks uses the same varietal (or really a blend) of coffee for their espresso, Italian, and french roasts, only the roasting time of the beans are changed.

Fortunate to know local a roaster who will tweak the roast for me, we use Ethiopian Sidamo.

Sidamo is a great coffee bean, as are most, if not all african varietals. The smaller "petite" beans have a unique flavor that you can't find elsewhere. New Guinea Peaberry, Arabian Mocha Sanani, and Sidamo are more expensive because of the amount of beans it takes to to make a pound, whereas a coffee like Kona is generally more expensive only because of it's low yield rates and perceived value.

If you have not tried more african coffees you owe it to yourself to try some, they are the most naturally complex and unique coffees on the planet.

Sidamo is a great coffee bean, as are most, if not all african varietals. The smaller "petite" beans have a unique flavor that you can't find elsewhere. New Guinea Peaberry, Arabian Mocha Sanani, and Sidamo are more expensive because of the amount of beans it takes to to make a pound, whereas a coffee like Kona is generally more expensive only because of it's low yield rates and perceived value.

If you have not tried more african coffees you owe it to yourself to try some, they are the most naturally complex and unique coffees on the planet.

Yes, I have tried a few from Africa, even different plantations in the same area will vary in taste. My supplier has lots of beans from around the world and makes his own blends as well, lots of nice beans to choose from as long as their roasted right. I do seem to prefer single origin to blends, Ethiopian Sidamo is a just really nice and my wife's favourite.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;48197 said:
I got news for ya, Ned. There ain't no java in hell. Every day you wake up breathing is a special occasion.

Life is short.

Not to derail the thread, but that's my beer philosophy!

I don't grind my own coffee much anymore but I've always loved fresh beans. Hate trying to store them lol

I wouldn't say I'm a coffee snob but love my coffee.

I love good coffee but I would not be drinking it if there was no caffeine. No morning coffee, no thank you. As someone that gave up all the other social drugs over 26 years ago I fully enjoy and appreciate my choices in coffee. I know folks that willingly spend $20+ for a bottle of wine that is drank in one sitting cringe at paying that much for a bag of good beans. Well to each there own. I guess it's part of what makes life interesting.

I like to have my morning coffee ready when I first get up. I use a Cuisinart 12 cup programmable with a thermal carafe and grind and prepare it the night before. It satisfies much of what I want from coffee. When I want to make a one-cup-at-time I grind the beans and then do a pour over.

So much knowledge! :cool:

I know little about coffee but my Australian friend living in USA certainly misses his "proper coffee" as he calls it.

I know little about coffee but my Australian friend living in USA certainly misses his "proper coffee" as he calls it.

The coffee culture in Australia started as a result of Italian migrants missing their coffee. Lygon Street in Melbourne is still home to some of these original coffee shops (also pizza shops). Sydney was later more influenced by America style (Starbucks) but now they have some good shops (I used to dread going there).
To me there is no such thing as a large, medium or small coffees - Make sure the grind adjustment is correct then grind beans into group head, express single or double shot (not over extracting), add milk no hotter than 65 degrees C with 10mm of dense froth (swirl the full cream milk with the steam wand just bellow the surface) into a small glass - that is an Australian Latte.

Presuming your beans are roasted correctly, if your coffees are too bitter you have either ground the coffee too fine or over extracted it. Too week then the grind is too coarse.
Lots of people never seem to adjust their grinder properly which may need to be different depending the coffees batch / age and the temperature / humidity of the day.

Over extracting is when the colour of the pour changes from dense golden liquid to a watery brown colour.

Last edited:
Gotta be espresso made properly, with good beans ground properly, and served unadorned and hot. I'm not overly particular as to the brand, as long as it's good, and these days there are plenty of good beans to be found.

I got a French Press for Christmas. I have brewed four or five cups with it in my office at work over the last couple weeks. It was either this or a Keurig. The difference for me being, this has a little more cleanup but isn't some big appliance sitting on my desk.

It's some of the best coffee I've ever had. I didn't have any way to make sure I could grind it correctly (coarse) so I went to a Starbucks and bought a pound of regular old Pike Place roast and had them grind it coarse for me. There's a kettle in the break room, so I heat the water in that to just short of boiling and then put the whole thing together, press it after a few minutes, et voila. Black, no sugar or milk. I've had Pike Place roast before of course, but this is way better. It's sweeter and just "cleaner" tasting for lack of a better term. This isn't a coffee I would normally buy, so I can't wait to try something I know I really like. Maybe I'll splurge and pony up the $20 for a can of Kona from Trader Joe's.

71SkCw4bO0S._SL1500_.jpg

Good work John!

A French Press is still one of the best ways to tell what a coffee really tastes like since you don't have a paper filter soaking up all that flavor.

Born and raised in Seattle......drinks coffee 24/7 except Coke with lunch and dinner. Won't touch StarF*cks with Hans's lips........i.e. Seattle Super Sonics = OKC Blunder...... The only thing I will say good about them is they treated my stepdaughter well there during her employment as Sergio's eye candy! If you ever do visit Seattle, do yourself a favor and visit some of the local grinders. I still get a care package every year on my birthday from the Stewart family. They're the family that started Seattle's Best Coffee Co. They fell victim to a holding Co.'s takeover....ie StarF*cks . The 20lb bag I get is IMHO the best coffee I have ever had. It lasts about 3 months....Yes....I'm a coffee snob!

Yay, my thread lives!

I've been working from home three days a week lately. I really should switch my routine from drinking coffee at the office to drinking it when I'm working from home. I could support the local independent joint or finally commit to some sort of at-home solution.

All the java fans should try buzz box coffee! Organic, shade grown, fair trade coffee from the Camano Islands and let me tell ya, it is superb.

The shade grown deal makes it super smooth to drink and way less acidic and the coolest thing of all, your first pound is free!!!

www.buzzboxcoffee.com

And the system is no hassle, so if you don't enjoy it, you just stop getting it. No cancellation fees or anything like that...

Back