A funny story and PRS appreciation

Julian

It's a '59 with 4 knobs
Hey y’all, hope everyone’s doing well.

So in January I got really frustrated with my S2 594 because it just wasn’t sounding right. I had started working with other musicians and envied their tone, and went as far as to consider paying for a new set of pickups. After awhile I thought ok well I’m gonna try to get as much out of what I got as I could.

This was also in part because I purchased the guitar used and something was telling me that my setup was off. I had taken it to a luthier but he did some shoddy work (on multiple guitars) so I saw the opportunity to learn how to setup my own guitar. Pickup height really brought the tone to life, but I kept having intonation issues.

I kept looking everywhere for info on the ideal bridge height, and the right height for both bass and treble post stand-offs. Kept messing around but saddles never gave me that “staircase” pattern you see on guitars. Went to guitar center and saw they had a new McCarty, decided to take measurements and found out the standoffs were at the same height. It was as simple as that. The compensation for treble side being closer to fretboard was accounted for by the asymetrical top of the S2.

As previously mentioned, this is my first time getting into guitar setups so I’m not sure if this is the case for all guitars but the ease and convenience of not having to tinker everything to get perfect intonation and “string height delta” makes me love my PRS so much more.

Last edited:
Nice! It's good to learn a few basic setup things as you just found out. I really think it helps you understand how to get the most out of a guitar if you can feel comfortable doing little tweaks like pup height, bridge alignment/intonation, etc.

Back