A free guitar improv tip and some PRS related news

bryanewald

player of guitars
If you ever struggle to find the right scale for a song and music theory sends you in to a zombie like trance, try this little trick. I'm not much of a message board aficionado (this in one of two that I ever pop on to)...If you frequent any other places that may be appropriate to share this, I'd be grateful.

Hope some of you might find this helpful - B

I appreciate the simplistic approach of identifying the scale pattern that locates the root note in question. I'd previously never had thought to try this method, but just the way you said, identifying the pattern and root improves the quality of one's ability to play well. Many thanks, Bryan.

Last edited:
Great simple concept that should be of immense value to all budding improvisors.
This also trains your ear to be able to identify where the good and the bad notes are, and also which ones you can experiment with for dissonance or unique sound to add to your solo phrasing.

It's so interesting to me how this is so close to the way I taught myself to solo by ear, and be able to learn to play Jazz by ear, as I have little theory, never took lessons and virtually self taught. It gets a little tougher when the chords are changing to different keys thru the progressions in Jazz, but it shows how we can take slightly different paths to get to a similar goal. Good work B.

Very cool!!! Way to reverse engineer the root!! I will definitely be playing with that (although I use a slightly different pattern for my major scale)! Thanks for sharing, I believe you have convinced me to take part in the school in August!

Thank you Bryan! This explains how you find those PRS root notes so quickly in the demo videos, hee hee.

Seriously though, this is a great tool to have in the pocket. Outstanding as usual! Not to mention the hawt guitar you're using, that's a smoking color!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this.

By any chance, did you teach Carlos Santana to playing using this trick? :)

Watched this today - great stuff from @bryanewald, as usual. This is going to come in quite handy.

One thing that gave me an extra little kick - on the one example (I think where the root ended up being G), as I was working along w/the video, I was playing the C scale, and it had an exotic sound, but it fit. Now, I know there’s a theory reason for it, but it tickled me in much the same way a brick doesn’t.

Thanks, Bryan!

Back