A couple of interesting anecdotes...Starlas; HB IIs & Fly Rigs

shinksma

What? I get a title?
Anecdote 1:

Yesterday I was working on music to some lyrics provided by a bandmate - the project is a musical play and related album of music, if things go swimmingly - no expectations, if nothing else it is an interesting exercise and generating some good songs.

This particular song is about a challenge between two men at the turn of the 19th to 20th century, so it is a "manly" song, full of testosterone, as my bandmate put it - she figured as a guy and a rock guitarist, I might be able to develop some appropriate music. (She is known as queen of the death ballads, so this is a little outside her wheelhouse, I suppose.)

I started to work on a riff bouncing around in my head on my SSH, but wanted something a bit "gnarlier" in tone, so I switched to my S2 Starla. I got some good results, and sent off a first draft last night.

Anyway, the anecdote bit: while working on it, I described the idea to my wife (bass player in the band), who is out of town right now. She immediately guessed I was going to use the Starla to write the music.

Net result, she admits each of the guitars that I have (or at least some) do indeed bring a unique tone to the table. Success!

Anecdote 2:

We've started playing out a bit recently, and both gigs in 2022 were at festivals - at one we were "just" performers, at the second we also ran sound - we use ourselves as the opening act to work out any kinks in the sound production.

At both events, I got comments that my electric guitar sound was really quite good, and they were wondering what I was playing through - there were no obvious amps on stage. I both cases I was using my Paul Landers Fly Rig straight into a stage DI box (and thus straight into the board via the snake), with the gain dialed waaaay back on the "Feuer" (Fire) channel. I also use the Wasser channel with the piezo of my guitars to get a nice acoustic-ish tone.

I don't know whether it is just a nice combo with my SC HBII (w/ 57/08s) that I played both times, but folks seemed honestly impressed! To the point where one guy said he wants to bring his Fender Super Sonic Combo (IIRC) on stage but the weight is killing him, so the Fly Rig reaaally interested him.

Anyway, just wanted to get that out there.

Back