85/15 neck with a JB bridge

Paz

Hi all,

As above has anyone tried this? If so, do they split well? If not I’ll just buy a 59 neck to go with the JB I already have.

Dan

I have never used an 85/15 so can't comment on that.

But the JB pairs excellently with a 59B used as the neck pickup.

Since the JB is so loud, the 59B matches better, IMO.

The 59B is about the same output as the Dragon 1 neck pickup used with the hot Dragon 1 bridge pickup.

Sounds similar too. Like a 50's PAF.

I have a 59N and a 59B I was going to put on reverb if you're interested...

Had them in a CE22 for a while and really liked that combo.

But it now has a set of BKP Abraxas pickups that don't really sound better...just differnt and I could get them in double cream and could not get the 59's in double cream.

Last edited:
I have never used an 85/15 so can't comment on that.

But the JB pairs excellently with a 59B used as the neck pickup.

Since the JB is so loud, the 59B matches better, IMO.

The 59B is about the same output as the Dragon 1 neck pickup used with the hot Dragon 1 bridge pickup.

Sounds similar too. Like a 50's PAF.

I have a 59N and a 59B I was going to put on reverb if you're interested...

Had them in a CE22 for a while and really liked that combo.

But it now has a set of BKP Abraxas pickups that don't really sound better...just differnt and I could get them in double cream and could not get the 59's in double cream.
Ok some interesting points there, thanks, I could be interested if you’re from the uk!

Ok some interesting points there, thanks, I could be interested if you’re from the uk!
Nope. Live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Western Colorado.

But BKP is in the UK and they make some great pickups.

Have them in two of my PRS guitars.

Reactions: Paz
8515 is my favorite neck pickup ever in terms of tone.

It sounds really good with vol pot rolled back a bit and it actually sounds good with tone pot rolled back too. It is a great sounding pickup and is also pretty versatile.

My only problem was I didn't like 8515 bridge pickup and finding a prs bridge pickup that mates well and sounds good to me was difficult.

I ended up pulling it out of the guitar.

It sounded really nice but I never spent much time in split mode.

The 8515 is only square bobbin.

8515 is my favorite neck pickup ever in terms of tone.

It sounds really good with vol pot rolled back a bit and it actually sounds good with tone pot rolled back too. It is a great sounding pickup and is also pretty versatile.

My only problem was I didn't like 8515 bridge pickup and finding a prs bridge pickup that mates well and sounds good to me was difficult.

I ended up pulling it out of the guitar.

It sounded really nice but I never spent much time in split mode.

The 8515 is only square bobbin.
Yeah I feel the same about the bridge pickup, what did you use in the end?

As you're from the UK talk to either Tim at Bareknuckle or Matt at Montys pickups. I have pickups from both and they both make fantastic pickups. I have Full Montys in Les Paul copy and they're amazing; so good I'm considering putting them in my SE DGT. They'll recommend something that complements the bridge pickup

Hi all,

As above has anyone tried this? If so, do they split well? If not I’ll buy a 59 neck to go with the JB I already have.

Dan
You may have phasing issues, but that's easy to fix by swapping hot and ground wires. Before you change the pickups, though, try adjusting the 8515 highs, they are very reactive to that, and results may surprise you.

I, for one, adore the bridge 8515. I think it's phenomenal, and I liked it from day one. The neck pickup is where I had to mature to love it

As you're from the UK talk to either Tim at Bareknuckle or Matt at Montys pickups. I have pickups from both and they both make fantastic pickups. I have Full Montys in Les Paul copy and they're amazing; so good I'm considering putting them in my SE DGT. They'll recommend something that complements the bridge pickup
Yes I have gone back and forth with pickups for my custom 24, I’m not sure bare knuckle is the answer as I feel you need to use more gain with them than Seymour Duncan’s, hence why I may just go with the JB that I already have.

Yeah I feel the same about the bridge pickup, what did you use in the end?
I started with 8515, 5909, dragon 1 back to 5909. I bought an M bridge pickup but gave up and put a set of starlas in .

Starlas only lasted a week before I pulled them out.

I had a covered 5310 bridge PU that I've been really wanting to try so I thought I'd do that with a McCarty neck PU.

I couldn't find my McCarty PUs????WTH????

I put a squabbin 5310 neck in with covered 5310 bridge........for now anyway.

I'd really like to try a 5815 LT neck so that's what I'm trolling for right now.

I'd also take a covered 5708 or 5310 neck.

I started with 8515, 5909, dragon 1 back to 5909. I bought an M bridge pickup but gave up and put a set of starlas in .

Starlas only lasted a week before I pulled them out.

I had a covered 5310 bridge PU that I've been really wanting to try so I thought I'd do that with a McCarty neck PU.

I couldn't find my McCarty PUs????WTH????

I put a squabbin 5310 neck in with covered 5310 bridge........for now anyway.

I'd really like to try a 5815 LT neck so that's what I'm trolling for right now.

I'd also take a covered 5708 or 5310 neck.
What happened with th \m/ after you pulled it?

What happened with th \m/ after you pulled it?
I did not install it. I really should have but I was getting very frustrated and just wanted to get to good place which I was certain the 5310s would get me.

The M bridge is in my pickup drawer for now.

Currently I have three guitars with 5310s, I will pull them out of my ce24 and do something different with it.

I may put M bridge with 5310 neck OR put my reissue T and Bs in it.

I did not install it. I really should have but I was getting very frustrated and just wanted to get to good place which I was certain the 5310s would get me.

The M bridge is in my pickup drawer for now.

Currently I have three guitars with 5310s, I will pull them out of my ce24 and do something different with it.

I may put M bridge with 5310 neck OR put my reissue T and Bs in it.
Let me know if you want to part with it if its uncovered. Im thinking to put \m/ bridge to my Standard for ages

You may have phasing issues, but that's easy to fix by swapping hot and ground wires. Before you change the pickups, though, try adjusting the 8515 highs, they are very reactive to that, and results may surprise you.

I, for one, adore the bridge 8515. I think it's phenomenal, and I liked it from day one. The neck pickup is where I had to mature to love it
I'm only asking out of curiosity but what kind of tones do you typically use ?

Maybe I should ask what amp you use?

Trying to understand what settings that 8515 bridge works well in.

Last edited:
I'm only asking out of curiosity but what kind of tones do you typically use ?

Maybe I should ask what amp you use?

Trying to understand what settings that 8515 bridge works well in.
I play through Boogie Fillmore 50 with two 2x12 cabs and a Synergy SYN-1 with Diezel Herbert preamp. I play moderate drive, sort of 90s to 2000s rock stuff as well as Indie level of breakup. I like clean cleans too and use them equally often. I have my 8515s fairly low, neck flush with the pickup bracket and the Bridge around 2mm above the bracket level.

I play through Boogie Fillmore 50 with two 2x12 cabs and a Synergy SYN-1 with Diezel Herbert preamp. I play moderate drive, sort of 90s to 2000s rock stuff as well as Indie level of breakup. I like clean cleans too and use them equally often. I have my 8515s fairly low, neck flush with the pickup bracket and the Bridge around 2mm above the bracket level.
That is very interesting. I notice a lot of guitars people post that have either version always seem to have bridge pickup higher that that.

Hmmmmm. Thank you

I usually adjust the pole pieces of both pickups in an arch that matches the radius of the frets.

Then I hold down the strings at the highest fret and start by adjusting the bridge pickup to 3/16" from the underside of the high E and 1/8" away from the low E.

I play the guitar for awhile on the bridge pickup only and tweak that setting until I get the sound want.

Then i adjust the neck pickup until it sounds "right" and in balance with the volume of the bridge pickup.

Usually it's further from the underside of the strings than the bridge pickup.

It's nice if I can get a little volume increase when I switch to the bridge pickup, or at least the same volume.

That is very interesting. I notice a lot of guitars people post that have either version always seem to have bridge pickup higher that that.

Hmmmmm. Thank you
I set the pickups low for a while now. The reason may sound unusual.

It all started back in my seven-string guitar days. I was building amplifiers and pedals for fun back then (and still do). It was either in Kevin O'Connor or Merlin Blencowe's book I read on the preamp design that high gain amplifiers should be built to cut low end in the first two stages; otherwise, the tone will be buzzy. The low end can always be recovered further in the signal chain. I like fast low-end response, and it got me thinking. The pickups set high give more lows and signal; set them low, the bass will be less pronounced, more controlled, and the signal will be weaker.

I like overdrive, but I'm not too fond of yappy guitars; I don't like the signal to be too high, so having pickups low already helps a lot. On top of this, the lows are super fast and spongy, with no boominess, just pure rock power. I recover the gain a notch with an always-on booster; currently, a Chase Tone Secret preamp bumps the signal by 3dB or so.

Some pickups do this better than others; 85/15 takes this approach phenomenally.

Back