#6 prs pickups

Didn't say they were the same, they said "similar". I've never heard them but folks have said they are a love/hate kind of thing. #7's are mostly love.

Well if they are similar then they should be low to med output like the #7s and maybe only compatible with 3 way toggle.

That kind of tells me what I want to know. Thanks guys.

The #7's are fantastic pickups. Probably number three on my list after Dragon 1's and 59/09's. Actually, the first time I played the 59/09's I could immediately hear some of the #7's characteristics, although the 59/09 is a little more dynamic and warmer. As the Nu-metal/modern rock thing was burgeoning around that time and the Single cut model was new, PRS made the #7's to be a modern/hot PAF that would please the old Les Paul guys, but stay tight and aggressive for the modern crowd using high gain amps.

I have a sc with #6 pickups and love the way they sound. Imo. It satisfies my LP needs and the coil tap sound very good. I find i go between it and my studio and kl380 (3 p90 koruna body) a lot lately. The studio is my fender killer and this sc term is killing my lp.

I've read several times that the only difference between 6s and 7s are the covers, but I just can't believe it. Normally, removing the covers sounds better. But I love my 7s, and can't stand 6s. I find the 6s to be lifeless.

I've read several times that the only difference between 6s and 7s are the covers, but I just can't believe it. Normally, removing the covers sounds better. But I love my 7s, and can't stand 6s. I find the 6s to be lifeless.
Yeah, that's incorrect info. That rumor started some time ago, I believe Shawn debunked that they were the same. I might have an email somewhere. I recall the treble #6 being slightly hotter than a #7(I measured one I had at one point). Maybe in the 9.5k area? The frequencies are REALLY flat, hence the lifeless feel for most people. I've had them sound good in some guitar/amp combos but when I started comparing to other guitars/pickups, I found them pretty dull too.

Hate to resurrect this old thread but nobody ever answered the question of the OP.

As a somewhat unhappy owner of these, I finally put the ohmmeter on them. And that explained it.

Bridge 11.56k
Neck 7.62k

I’m curious as to people’s thought on this.

I think the Singlecut Trem I had back when they were available (mid-'00s?) had #6 pickups. I loved everything about the guitar, but didn't bond with the pickups.

I didn't measure them. Measured output is only one of many factors predictive of what a pickup might sound like.

Hate to resurrect this old thread but nobody ever answered the question of the OP.

As a somewhat unhappy owner of these, I finally put the ohmmeter on them. And that explained it.

Bridge 11.56k
Neck 7.62k

I’m curious as to people’s thought on this.

Posted this in response to a different thread as well, but that output is right in line with the Dragon II and Santana III sets. If they're not to your taste, that's fine - there's no pickup set that is universally loved. Back in the day, I tried guitars with #6s and #7s. From memory, I liked the #6s on the SCT better, but I liked the control layout of the SC with the #7s better. I ended up buying neither. If you don't like 'em, swap 'em out.

PRS-PickupsChart.jpg

I think the Singlecut Trem I had back when they were available (mid-'00s?) had #6 pickups. I loved everything about the guitar, but didn't bond with the pickups.

I didn't measure them. Measured output is only one of many factors predictive of what a pickup might sound like.

Thanks for replying and yep, I hear you. Thinking I might just give them a second chance.

Posted this in response to a different thread as well, but that output is right in line with the Dragon II and Santana III sets. If they're not to your taste, that's fine - there's no pickup set that is universally loved. Back in the day, I tried guitars with #6s and #7s. From memory, I liked the #6s on the SCT better, but I liked the control layout of the SC with the #7s better. I ended up buying neither. If you don't like 'em, swap 'em out.

PRS-PickupsChart.jpg

thanks again, alantig. You are so right about the “universally loved” point. It’s the nuances and subtleties that make us the discriminating artists that we are.

Back