594 vs. 594 HB II

phoenixbt

Hey all,

Wanted to get some opinions. I currently have a 594 double cut that's a few years old and it's an amazing guitar. I'm looking to add something in the semi-hollow/hollow range to cover some different sounds. The 594 HB II caught my eye...I know the pickups will be similar (although mine aren't TCI), but for those that have or have played both, how big of a difference is there between the two? Or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks!

I have both - a 2016 double cut 594 and a 2019 (with TCI and Nitro finish) 594 HBii and there isn't a 'massive' difference between the two. The HB version is a bit more open and airy sounding, the body feels more resonant and of course a lot lighter too. With Distortion, that difference can be more subtle.

iqwpNPc.jpg

My solid body 2016 McCarty 594

w4FlaEY.jpg

My 2019 McCarty 594 Hollowbody ii

Its pretty much what you would expect from a guitar that is basically the same - just one with the Mahogany all hollowed out and a maple back and the other more solid. The Hollowbody is also much louder to play unplugged as well of course.

I guess its a bit like having a Les Paul and a 335 with the same Humbuckers - not a vast difference - but maybe enough of a difference to justify owning both. I can't say that its not worth it, I obviously didn't think so as I own both (as well as a Hollowbody II with Piezo and 58/15 LT pickups), but you will have to decide for yourself if its worth buying or better to invest in something that offers a greater difference.

Man those are beautiful! You have good taste :) very helpful comparison too, I appreciate it! I should have mentioned I’m considering a DGT too. Which I think would be much more of a departure from the 594 I have. Any chance you have one and can compare?

I’m new here, but have a 2016 double cut 594, and a recently purchased DGT. The DGT neck is entirely different, as are the pickups and control layout. I believe these differences could be more significant than the tonal variations between hollow and solid body variants of the 594. The DGT will certainly feel different than a 594, although you might tweak one to sound similar than the other. I sort of agree with the Les Paul - 335 comparison as I have both. However, a LP seems louder and more aggressive than a 335 with similar pickups to me. I also have a semi hollow 594 that is subtly different than the 594 solid body. I’d imagine the HB could go fuller and mellower if that’s what you’re after. Now I’ve confused myself......

I’m new here, but have a 2016 double cut 594, and a recently purchased DGT. The DGT neck is entirely different, as are the pickups and control layout. I believe these differences could be more significant than the tonal variations between hollow and solid body variants of the 594. The DGT will certainly feel different than a 594, although you might tweak one to sound similar than the other. I sort of agree with the Les Paul - 335 comparison as I have both. However, a LP seems louder and more aggressive than a 335 with similar pickups to me. I also have a semi hollow 594 that is subtly different than the 594 solid body. I’d imagine the HB could go fuller and mellower if that’s what you’re after. Now I’ve confused myself......
That’s helpful, thanks! Can’t get out to play a DGT right now due to covid...so trying to do what research I can. Two different guitars I know, but how do you find the pickups/sounds with the 594 vs. DGT? I’m have a lot of strats so I’m wondering if the DGT might be the bridge between and work well. Or if I should try the HBII to get a 335 sound (which is what I was originally after). Conflicted now too :)

I don't have a DGT as well but compared to vintage its quite a different feeling guitar with a more classic (compared to the 'vintage' 594's) double Humbucker sound. Its got a bit more punch in the Pickups so you have another LP-ish sound - just more classic. It has Jumbo Frets, longer scale length, different neck carve and a trem too so its going to feel quite a bit different to play.

If you want something to fit between the Strat and the 594, you probably should consider the Custom 24. The position of the neck Pick-up relative to the bridge changes the sound more and the 85/15's are a bit more modern with a bit more punch to them as well. The Custom 24 is certainly going to be the most 'different' to a lot of the others which tend to be a 'flavours' of each other - Vintage, classic, modern - trem or fixed bridge. The Custom 24 is the more unique sounding and fits between a Strat and a LP but again, it really depends on what it is you want and/or need as well as which one you feel comfortable playing. Ideally, I would say try them and see what grabs you and its a good idea to try them with similar gear to what you own or at least take your guitar so you have a 'reference' point. Trying a DGT or Cu24 in a shop with different Gear to what you own won't give you a good reference point but if you take your Guitar, you can hear how they differ in the same gear and that will give you a better idea of how they may sound in your set-up...

The DGT pickups are definitely hotter, but in a good way. They’re not overly harsh at all. I’d love to put a set in my 1999 McCarty, but they’re not available except occasionally on the used market (usually for stupid money). Also, to simplify my earlier comment, there’s much less difference between a 594 and a semi-hollow 594 than there is between a Les Paul and a 335 (at least in my opinion).

Also, to simplify my earlier comment, there’s much less difference between a 594 and a semi-hollow 594 than there is between a Les Paul and a 335 (at least in my opinion)

I agree - the Semi-Hollows from PRS are much closer to the Solid body - perhaps because the Mahogany is also the back so its more like 'chambered' and more like 'weight relief'. They can't take 'too much' mahogany out to leave enough for the back. Its a lot like a Chambered guitar - just with a big chamber at the top where the F hole is and a smaller one on the lower horn area - because of the electronics cavity. Not saying it has no impact but its much more like having a weight relieved version...

The Mahogany on a hollowbody though is just the sides and even the carved maple is carved on the inside to keep an even thickness across the top/back. The only thing on the inside is a small-ish block to mount the bridge into. This has a bigger impact on the sound and why I think its much closer to the 335 vs LP type comparison. I know the 335 is a semi-hollow but has a different construction (laminated top and sides) and the hollow top and bottom are large in area/volume.

The reason I said that its a bit like a LP vs 335 was because the OP was considering the Hollowbody 594, not a semi-hollow 594.

This is really helpful, thanks guys! I think I’m going to have to find a way to play a DGT and HB II. From what I’m reading here I’m kind of leaning towards the DGT now, but just really curious how different of sounds I can get from the HB vs my current 594

This is really helpful, thanks guys! I think I’m going to have to find a way to play a DGT and HB II. From what I’m reading here I’m kind of leaning towards the DGT now, but just really curious how different of sounds I can get from the HB vs my current 594

A Hollowbody ii may well be an option too as that would add a Piezo and offer the option to give you an 'acoustic' sound. Blending it in with the Magnetics can give you something 'extra' on top as well. I think it works best splitting the two so you can have a 'clean' acoustic sound with a distorted Magnetic sound. The 594 Hollowbody offers the 'split' coil tones instead of the Piezo - at least unless you mod the HBii with a Push Pull tone pot to split the pups. Newer HBii's come with the same pups as the 594 - my HBii did...

1Q2v5kW.jpg

My Hollowbody ii with Piezo

Really, these are quite similar when distorted - less so when clean but still quite similar. They feel more resonant and obviously a lot lighter guitars too. The HBii has a slightly longer scale length and different 'Pattern' neck carve as well.

The DGT is a fantastic guitar too. Like I said though, its a bit more of a 'classic' LP-type sounding guitar - a bit more bite from its hotter (still not 'Hot') pickups so it really depends on what you want to buy first/next.

I’d tell you to go with a Hollowbody. You have the single coil sounds covered with your strats. Consider a Singlecut Hollowbody, or even an SE Hollowbody piezo. To my ears , that has the closest to a 335 sound. It’s a laminated Hollowbody like the 335. I may be accused of spouting heresy here, but I actually preferred the laminated body sound over a core hollowbody that I had. Plus, you can crank it. I have other hollowbodies for different reasons, but the SE is the first one I grab if I’m having more than one.

Back