59/09 vs 85/15 (treble pickup question)

Proton5150

Good day folks,

Thinking about replacing the bridge pickup (85/15) on my CE24 to add a little thickness and tame the treble a bit. Is the 59/09 darker and have a lower treble spike vs the 85/15? Or are they pretty similar?

Good day folks,

Thinking about replacing the bridge pickup (85/15) on my CE24 to add a little thickness and tame the treble a bit. Is the 59/09 darker and have a lower treble spike vs the 85/15? Or are they pretty similar?
That's a trick question.

I have a cu24 with 5909s stock. It is an incredible guitar and as strange as it may sound the bridge pickup reminds me of a tele bridge pickup on steroids and with a wider tonal range. Running volume down on guitar makes pickup clean up nicely without sounding too harsh. It has a treble bleed circuit.

I have a 5909 in bridge of my McCarty. It still sounds good but not sure I'd use the tele reference on this one. No treble bleed circuit on McCarty

Good day folks,

Also, I had a set of 8515s on my McCarty and the neck pickup was incredible but the bridge pickup was just blah to me. It still has the 8515 neck but has 5909 bridge.

I have 3 guitars with 5909 bridge pickups so I'm considering putting a 5310 bridge in my McCarty just to change things up a bit.

Lastly, take the time to adjust pickup height. A little adjustment makes a big difference.

One other thing I did on my McCarty was flip bridge pickup around so screw coil is away from bridge. I did it just to change things up.

For the record, 8515 and 5909 are nothing alike.

Have a go at disconnecting the "treble bleed" cap on the volume pot first. Just a quick unsolder of one leg will be enough. That may very well tame enough of the treble and fatten it up enough to hold off the need for a pickup change.

Back