59/09 Pickups : To Split or Not to Split?

Malloc

All these recent announcements of awesome splitting TCI pickups have me seriously wondering if my P22 has some untapped potential. I’ve considered getting the push/pull split mod before, but have hesitated since my rusty old 59/09s (yes I had PTC do it since I prefer them over the original P22s) don’t have the new splitting tricks.

Anyone think it’s still worth getting the split mod for older pickups like 57/08 or 59/09?

So with one push/pull it’s basically just adding the potential to do isolated bridge or neck instead of both simultaneously in position 4?

I should add the disclaimer: I find it difficult to use position 2&4 in live settings already due to the obvious volume drop.

I just realized you must have 5 way blade or rotary.

Prs offers a mod. Add push pull to blade which gives you single coil options in 1, 3, and 5.

Ya I have the 5 way blade. The PTC push/pull mod was what I meant by “split mod” in original post.

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to get it done even if they do eventually sell MT or TCI pickups separately.

Ya I have the 5 way blade. The PTC push/pull mod was what I meant by “split mod” in original post.

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to get it done even if they do eventually sell MT or TCI pickups separately.

I want it done to my cu24 but I'm a little concerned that I might lose that sweet stuff this guitar has fooling around with wiring.

Update: I did my own push/pull split variant based on another users suggestion and it turned out well. Of the new sounds added, I really like the split bridge alone and bridge plus neck (screw coil I believe) for some really twangy sounds I couldn’t get before. Somewhat underwhelmed by the neck alone and neck+bridge both split since they seem a little thin and spikey, but maybe some EQ will net me a usable result there too. My original humbucker sounds weren’t disturbed at all so overall I feel it was worth the trouble.

Update: I did my own push/pull split variant based on another users suggestion and it turned out well. Of the new sounds added, I really like the split bridge alone and bridge plus neck (screw coil I believe) for some really twangy sounds I couldn’t get before. Somewhat underwhelmed by the neck alone and neck+bridge both split since they seem a little thin and spikey, but maybe some EQ will net me a usable result there too. My original humbucker sounds weren’t disturbed at all so overall I feel it was worth the trouble.

I have found the split sounds pretty useful for recording on my McCarty mods. What I didn't absorb was the split 5909 was too harsh for my live setup.

I had a show ladt friday night and I put fresh strings on it thursday night. While I had strings off, I flipped bridge pickup around so the screw coil wasn't so close to the bridge thinking it might tame the harshness a bit.

At this point I can't really say if I'm happy with it this way. The monitors sounded like crap at the show. They really wanted low stage volume so I was relying on the monitor mix. Lot of undesirable factors going on so I really just focused on playing well.

We flew out the next day for Anniversary vacation so I haven't really had time to fool with that guitar.

I will get to work on another recording next week so I'll be able to get a good idea if flipping the bridge pickup was worth it.

Forgot to mention: the volume drop is still noticeable, but I’ve already been incorporating a small boost stage on my Helix to deal with the existing splits so it hasn’t been a big deal in practice.

Back