57/08 pickups in Stripped 58 versus 57/08 pickups in Korina McCarty

Curt Musgrove

So, I have a Stripped 58 with 57/08 pickups and I absolutely the tone. I have a Korina McCarty and I love the way it feels and plays, but I hated the way it sounded with the McCarty pickups. So, I took the leap and put 57/08 pickups in it. Well, in comparison, the McKorina is louder than the Stripped 58, and although it sounds better, I am still not happy with the McKorina's tone. It is definitely NOT the same as the stripped 58, even with the same pickups. I know, I know - different woods and all, but I did not think the difference would be this significant. So - what now? I like the guitar, but I do not like the tone. Any other pickup options? Should I just give up on the Korina and move on from the guitar???

The scale length difference (yes, that half inch matters), not to mention the two piece bridge on the Stripper - all important parts of the equation and those are two things that you cannot change with the McK...

Perhaps look at some non-PRS pickup options?

I'd put humbucker sized P-90s in a Korina McCarty. Something really different from what you have. P-90s and korina seem to be a good combination oftentimes.

Back