57/08 Pickups: 500k or 250k Pots?

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
Anyone know what PRS recommends/uses when they put 57/08 Pickups into a guitar... 500k or 250k Pots?

I don't think that blindly slapping 500k pots into every guitar you own is the right answer so that's why I'm asking.

Maybe, but that is just how they wind them (as I understand it). They still need regular tone controls, don't they?
I was under the (possibly BS) impression that each pup was measured and a resistor was applied to that guitar that made it conform to some arbitrary standard. Therefore making them more "all the same"... or something...

Have any recent guitars (maybe PS) gone TCI with 5708?
No, I haven't seen anything labelled as "57/08 TCI." In fact, I don't think PRS is actively using those pickups in any current/new guitars—although they are still selling them in their store. (Massive leftover stock from 10 years ago?)

I was under the (possibly BS) impression that each pup was measured and a resistor was applied to that guitar that made it conform to some arbitrary standard. Therefore making them more "all the same"... or something...
Yeah, that's actually what I also gleaned from their marketing mumbo-jumbo about the "TCI process." I've never seen or heard it explained differently to prove that's not what they're doing, so...

No, I haven't seen anything labelled as "57/08 TCI." In fact, I don't think PRS is actively using those pickups in any current/new guitars—although they are still selling them in their store. (Massive leftover stock from 10 years ago?)

Yeah, that's actually what I also gleaned from their marketing mumbo-jumbo about the "TCI process." I've never seen or heard it explained differently to prove that's not what they're doing, so...
Yeah, the 5708 is too popular to cease manufacture I guess. The successor 5815 gets the TCI process.

TCI is confusing everytime it's brought up. I understand it as a process, but then why would the pickups be labeled TCI? Whatever the secret sauce, it doesn't matter much to me. I couldn't imagine my non TCI PRS sounding any better.

I agree, I don't think there's a TCI 5708 since I think they're only in the store. I don't think the store is old stock, though. They're way to popular of a pickup swap. Also my new ones are different than the older ones I have and played. Not bad differnet, just more.

But even the tone or volume of the TCI pickups will change as the tone control (a potentiometer for either volume or tone) is rolled one way or the other. Yes, you could direct wire the pickups in place so they would be full on all the time but you still have tone controls that vary the resistance (if that's the right word... resistance is measured in ohms), or juice going through the pickups to control either the volume or the shape of the tone. So if you have tone controls, I'm thinking that there ought to be a range set somewhere, like 500k or 250k (so far 500k is winning the discussion). What are those things, capacitors? Something about storing or maintaining a certain amount of power in the circuit? My electronics class was over 40 years ago so I'm a bit rusty on electronics theory.

Back