53/10 Ltd.

Brad737

This space for rent...
Hello all,

As some of you may know, last year I went through a bloody, contentious divorce. To protect myself, I placed most of guitars and amps into storage. The only one of my expensive guitars that I kept with me was my FBJ Modern Eagle 1. I've been retrieving them and setting up my music room as I get settled. Anyway, today I spent some quality time with my 53/10 Limited.

Mine is an uncommonly beautiful example... better than a lot of Private Stocks. To be honest. I liked the guitar a lot when I got it, but I wasn't 100% on board with the bridge pickup. Don't get me wrong, I liked it. A lot! But compared to the 57/08 and 59/09, I felt like it was just a just a little lacking. Now I will say, the 53/10 neck pickup was, and still is, my all-time favorite PRS neck pickup. As a matter of fact, it's my second favorite neck pickup of all time...even better than a real PAF I used to own.

Anyway, today was totally eye-opening. My neck pickup sounded as great as ever. But that 53/10 bridge KILLED! I started out with my modded Plexi. (God, how I missed that amp! If you've heard Van Halen I, you know what it sounds like.). Instant VH. I tweaked the EQ, split the bridge, and I was screaming "Can You See Me?" Early Clapton sounded awesome. Next, I plugged into my Trainwreck Liverpool. That's a cool amp, but it can be a bit bright. The 53/10 sounded AWESOME through that. You know that sort of singing midrange PRSes are known for? It was just like that. I definitely found the perfect guitar for that amp.

I'm sure this is probably a fairly boring post. But I was lucky enough to spend about 2 and a half hours with my 53/10 today, and was simply floored how amazing it sounded, so I wanted to share. While I always liked the guitar a lot, today was pure tonal ecstasy. I was stunned to find out there are still a few of these 53/10 Limiteds on dealers' shelves. If you're in the market for a new guitar, I can't recommend these highly enough. :)

Oh yeah...here she is:

OMlvSnu.jpg

478Expq.jpg

nrQfiC1.jpg

Last edited:
I figured it was that one. I had the finger on the trigger to get that one when it was at new at the dealer. Nice to see it's still in the family. Let me know if you'd ever like to part with it.

I still have the pics! Here it is from another angle.

i-kWGQRLd-XL.jpg

I've got 2 different guitars with 53/10's. Absolutely love them!

Awesome! Do you have any other photos? That's a lot better than what I have.

I figured it was that one. I had the finger on the trigger to get that one when it was at new at the dealer. Nice to see it's still in the family. Let me know if you'd ever like to part with it.

I still have the pics! Here it is from another angle.

i-kWGQRLd-XL.jpg

Man, you are right about that one. Truly a thing of beauty.

Wish it were mine.

Mate, been divorced too... painful process........... she got everything..., I got my soul, mojo and border collie

glad you saved your magnificent guitar/s

keep the chin up... it is all gravy now mate

Wow nice axe man!

53/10s are fantastic pickups, I think they're a lot more versatile than people give them credit for. I chucked funk to hard rock to metal at them on the weekend and they performed fantastically.

dogsb - 59/09s are different animals, hotter and more modern sounding, and each pickup has their own unique voice. Best idea is to try both of them and see what you like! 53/10s were available in P22s from last year, there should be some kicking around at dealers still

I have 53/10s in an SC58. Took me a little while to get used to the bridge pickup, like you, loved the neck pickup right away.

But now they're one of my favorite traditional PRS pickups. Love what they do.

Awesome! Do you have any other photos? That's a lot better than what I have.
i-rbq9mcr.jpg

i-xmQVn9D.jpg

i-JnzCff5.jpg

These were pics I got from a small dealer in the midwest back when it was new inventory. Off the top of my head I do not recall the dealer name. Enjoy!

The only reason I didn't get it for myself is that at the time I already had a 59/09 Experience model and a ME1. I told myself that I was overlapping too much and I've only got room for so many guitars, so I took a pass on it. Obviously I have second thoughts about that decision now since my 59/09 is gone. :(

Last edited:
Hello all,

As some of you may know, last year I went through a bloody, contentious divorce. To protect myself, I placed most of guitars and amps into storage. The only one of my expensive guitars that I kept with me was my FBJ Modern Eagle 1. I've been retrieving them and setting up my music room as I get settled. Anyway, today I spent some quality time with my 53/10 Limited.

Great looking (and I assume from your comments, sounding) guitar. Can you tell me the difference between these 53/10 Limited and the ME Quatro? Just looking at specs, I don't see the difference -- what am I missing?

Thanks,
Charlie

Thanks!!!

i-rbq9mcr.jpg

i-xmQVn9D.jpg

i-JnzCff5.jpg

These were pics I got from a small dealer in the midwest back when it was new inventory. Off the top of my head I do not recall the dealer name. Enjoy!

The only reason I didn't get it for myself is that at the time I already had a 59/09 Experience model and a ME1. I told myself that I was overlapping too much and I've only got room for so many guitars, so I took a pass on it. Obviously I have second thoughts about that decision now since my 59/09 is gone. :(

Hi Charlie,
The Quatro has a rosewood neck. The 53/10 has a mahogany neck with rosewood board.

Great looking (and I assume from your comments, sounding) guitar. Can you tell me the difference between these 53/10 Limited and the ME Quatro? Just looking at specs, I don't see the difference -- what am I missing?

Thanks,
Charlie

Thanks for the kind words. It was ugly, but I feel like the weight of the world was lifted from my shoulders. I'm happier than I've been in a really long time. However, I did just order a Private Stock as a sort of "retail therapy". :D

The best thing is I got joint custody of my daughter, and get to see her half the time. But I won't lie. I would have been crushed if I'd had to liquidate my guitar collection.

Mate, been divorced too... painful process........... she got everything..., I got my soul, mojo and border collie

glad you saved your magnificent guitar/s

keep the chin up... it is all gravy now mate

Back