53/10 Identification

Muybien04

hey everyone,

I tried to do some research on this but I can't seem to get a definitive answer. There were some posts about this before that apparently went into more detail but a lot of those links are dead?

I'm looking at purchasing a P22. I'd like to get one with 53/10 pickups. It looks like 2012 is the only year those pups and this guitar met. In reviewing some posts, it looks like even older (November possibly) P22s had the 57/08s.

It looks the the MODCAT is pretty useless- they all just say "P22" pups. Is there any marking on the pup itself that I can look for to confirm they are infact P22? I feel bad emailing PRS and bugging them with serial numbers.

I don't think there were any markings on the top of them (I could be wrong), but there should be something on the bottom of them.

I can't exactly remember, but I was under the impression that the P22s were launched with the 53/10 pickups. I can't remember exactly how long they lasted with them because it wasn't long before the wire that made up the 53/10s became in short supply and it was announced that they would only be available for special orders (I'm guessing private stock)

I commend your taste though. I do love the pickups in my 53/10 limited

I can't exactly remember, but I was under the impression that the P22s were launched with the 53/10 pickups. I can't remember exactly how long they lasted with them because it wasn't long before the wire that made up the 53/10s became in short supply and it was announced that they would only be available for special orders (I'm guessing private stock)

I commend your taste though. I do love the pickups in my 53/10 limited

Thanks! Yeah its a little frustrating since they changed so quickly and didn't brand the back of the pups in any unique way.

I know around July 2012 they started offering the 53/10s for sale - just pups alone. But not sure if the change for the P22 actually occurred then.

As far as I can see, all of the original magazine reviews of the P22 mention the 53/10 pickups. I think it was after this that they started using the 57/08s. As to how to tell the difference I'm afraid I can't really help

Just an FYI in case anyone else is looking. I emailed PRS about a 2012 P22 with serial 192XXX and it had 57/08s in it.

2012 serials were 183863 - 196410 so if youre in the market I'd guess look at those 18X numbers...

It is great that PRS is willing to lend a hand at identifying which P22's have the pups that you are seeking. My P22 has serial number 186xxx, dated as 3/23/2012, and has the 53/10 pups. I love 'em.

It is great that PRS is willing to lend a hand at identifying which P22's have the pups that you are seeking. My P22 has serial number 186xxx, dated as 3/23/2012, and has the 53/10 pups. I love 'em.

Completely agree. Shawn at PRS has answered so many inquiries for me it really is so nice of them to be so supportive.

They seem to be pretty hard to find, i may end up going with a HB if they don't pop up. I can only find one for sale right now that's maybe in the ballpark with dates.

I don't think there were any markings on the top of them (I could be wrong), but there should be something on the bottom of them.
If it came out of a p22 then that's what the stickers say.

I've got a set of 5310s out of an early p22, those pickups do not say 5310

If it came out of a p22 then that's what the stickers say.

I've got a set of 5310s out of an early p22, those pickups do not say 5310

Just an FYI in case anyone else is looking. I emailed PRS about a 2012 P22 with serial 192XXX and it had 57/08s in it.

2012 serials were 183863 - 196410 so if youre in the market I'd guess look at those 18X numbers...
Just wanted to record some info here for the annals of this wonderful web forum and its astute members:

I did contact PRS Customer service myself regarding a particularly beautifully-topped 2012 P22 serial number 186xxx. The response was that this particular guitar was built in March 2012 and would indeed have been 53/10's. (I only asked specifically about this guitar/serial; I didn't get into the whole details of when the change was made because frankly it's not entirely my business anyway. But he did indicate the change happened "toward the end of the year" so there's that.)

PRS Customer Service confirmed my P22 has 53/10s. The serial number is 1910xx with a build date of July 2012. I also heard the change from the 53/10s occurred towards the end of 2012, but there is not a definitive cut off date.

Back