408 - mini-toggle switch failure

cruisemates

I picked up my 408 last night - all plugged in and ready to play, and some strange things happened.

First, I believe (recollection is fuzzy, right?) the lower toggle switch felt odd, turned to the side and hard to switch, like it was stuck on. I did manage to turn it off, but then the upper toggle went sideways - and it is now fused in place in one position (I don't know if it is on or off, because it rotated to one side).

Now, the blade switch only gives sound in the middle and forward positions (no bridge pickup sound when blade is all the way back).

I just opened the guitar and I see the last position red wire has come loose. The explains the dead bridge pickup only blade switch position (middle position still works). But I don't understand how a fully enclosed toggle switch could go bad. Nothing was loose on the guitar when I put it away, and I had not used the switches at all. I had just picked it up. The only thing I can think of is that I powered up my pedal board with the guitar plugged into the wah wah - it is almost like stray voltage came up the cable and fused the switch (but that would be very unusual, right?).

Question - have you ever seen these mini-toggles just go bad before?

Last edited:
I haven't used mini toggles a lot, but they are mechanical devices so I wouldn't be too terribly surprised by a failure. I wouldn't expect it to come so soon, though.

Sometimes the rings that screw down and hold switches in place can vibrate loose in transit.

PRS will stand behind it, don't worry.

I haven't used mini toggles a lot, but they are mechanical devices so I wouldn't be too terribly surprised by a failure. I wouldn't expect it to come so soon, though.
+1....very odd. Is it new/under warranty?

I don't recall a single instance where a mini toggle has malfunctioned. The locking nut must have been loosened causing the toggle to spin which caused the solder joints to snap. A quick re-soldering job should put you back in business.

I'd also like to know, was this guitar purchased new?

Back