408 Electrical Issues

Oki Bumz

I just bought a 2013 PRS 408 and when I plugged it in I noticed the volume pot didn't cut the volume all the off. In fact there isn't a huge difference between 0 and 10. So I was thinking I need a new pot. Then I started switching between the humbucker and single coil with the mini-toggle. There is no noticeable tone difference leading me to believe the mini-toggles don't work. So I'm not upset because I got the guitar at a price where I have some room to do repairs. Buts it's a 2013 model purchased new February 2014. I'm the second owner. The 1st owner didn't say there was any problems. Anyway I love the guitar . It just needs some TLC. Does anyone have any advice for repairs or troubleshooting? Thanks

Last edited:
If you want the repairs done correctly, there really is only one place: http://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/ .

Send them an email detailing your problem and they will send you an estimate. If you go that route, your electronics will come back to you factory new and operating to spec.

As ruger states, PTC is THE best option. But, shipping the guitar can be expensive and it depends on how long you can be without it. Depending on where you live, maybe there is an authorized PRS dealer who could help you. I'd contact PRS customer service and see if they can advise you on a dealer near you that has a qualified tech that repair the guitar for you. I wouldn't just take it in to any random shop though, make sure there is a reputable repair guy familiar with PRS. If you post where you live, someone may be able to advise on that. Again, PTC is the best option, but sending it if it's just a volume pot is an expensive trip for an inexpensive part/repair.

Contact previous owner first. Make him tell you if something was wrong. He may cave and tell you what you're dealing with.

Sounds like a bad pot.

As for the single coil switches, they're subtle. Remember, you're not changing the pickup or its location, just shutting off a coil (and adding a few turns from the other coil). Put the amp on clean. When you switch to the coil-tapped position from the humbucker position, you should hear the sound get a little thinner and brighter.

Most guitars use phase cancellation when coil splitting, and use the two pickups' inner or outer coils in combination to give the different sounds. This isn't what the 408 does. It simply turns the humbucker into a single coil pickup without the volume loss. Afterward, of course, you have the option to use one pickup at a time in either mode, and both pickups, to give you the variety of tones that's actually more comprehensive than most "split coil" setups.

Last edited:
I just bought a 2013 PRS 408 and when I plugged it in I noticed the volume pot didn't cut the volume all the off. In fact there isn't a huge difference between 0 and 10. So I was thinking I need a new pot. Then I started switching between the humbucker and single coil with the mini-toggle. There is no noticeable tone difference leading me to believe the mini-toggles don't work. So I'm not upset because I got the guitar at a price where I have some room to do repairs. Buts it's a 2013 model purchased new February 2014. I'm the second owner. The 1st owner didn't say there was any problems. Anyway I love the guitar . It just needs some TLC. Does anyone have any advice for repairs or troubleshooting? Thanks

On the splits, try turning the volume and tone knobs back a touch when you engage them. My daughter has an epi lp pro(bought new) that has splitting and with tone and volume cranked you can't really tell a difference.

Then I started switching between the humbucker and single coil with the mini-toggle. There is no noticeable tone difference leading me to believe the mini-toggles don't work.

This is a feature of the 408. It is designed that you get no tonal loss when going from single to humbucking. At least as I understand it anyway.

This is a feature of the 408. It is designed that you get no tonal loss when going from single to humbucking. At least as I understand it anyway.
You would have no change in output but you would have a change to the tone.

PTC looked after mine.
Before it went there I noticed that the tone had a big impact on volume. Turn the tone to 10 and check the volume then. It might save chasing the wrong problem.

Back