4 or 5-way blade switch in my PRS SE Custom 24?

P-Ride

Hey, I've got a 2014 PRS SE Custom 24 which will be going under the knife soon, to get a set of new pickups (probably IronGear Dirty Torque + Blues Engine) and some Schaller locking tuners.

I've already switched in black pickup rings, switch tips, screws and knobs (below) and will have finally banished the ghastly yellow plastic when this is done (mockup underneath).

I've also added some Fu Tone stiff trem springs and a custom brass claw (below).

While I'm at it, what else shall I do to the electronics?

I've been told there isn't much need to switch the pots over to Switchcraft, as Alpha are pretty solid?

Does the same go for the caps?

Should I add a 4 or 5 way blade?

I already have a push/pull to coil-split.. a 4-way would allow series/parallel wiring, I believe.

What do you guys think? And would a Fender part do the job?

Cheers

Hmm.. subtle, possibly a little extra definition?

Hard to tell, as I did a string change at the same time.. but for £10.99, I'm happy just knowing how damn tough it looks!

The Fu-tone springs are wicked, although they totally change the character of the tremolo.

Before it felt fairly soft and easy to do gentle vibrato on.. whereas with these Fu-tone springs, it's way, way more responsive.

Initially I disliked it, as I lost the subtle vibrato feel.. I've since found you can get subtle vibrato, you just have to be more accurate.

It's vastly superior for aggressive lead work now though. So responsive compared to before.

Reckon I'll get the Mann kit with a new trem block and saddles, plus the Schaller locking tuners and leave it at that!

Apart from new pickups, naturally.

Back