2021 Silver Sky owner and questions

John Boehmler

I'm new to the forum and also a new silver sky owner. I just had an orion green with rosewood board delivered a couple days ago, and I'm really liking it. It provides a nice contrasting strat flavor to my american pro II.

Couple things I have noticed though and wondered if anyone else has encountered these. One is that the neck pocket is fairly "loose" compared to my american pro II which fits the neck heel like a glove. The prs has a noticeable gap (standard paper thickness) on both sides of the neck pocket. Anyone else see this on their SS?

Also, the heavily beveled fret edges result in me sometimes pushing the low E off the fretboard when quickly descending down to grab a note on that string. Is this just something you have to learn to deal with on this guitar.

Thanks for any feedback you all can provide.

The E string issues is the 7.25” radius for you. You will adjust to it after a while and not even think about it. But there is a slight learning curve. Many newer models and modern remakes are 9.5-10 inches or compounded.

The pocket gap is pretty standard. The does not seem to effect any playability or intonations so I never cared much.

My Lunar Ice had that problem, which bothered me because my Nebula didn’t have it. After careful observation, I noticed the strings were offset to one side of the neck. They were not centered over the pole pieces in the pickups either. I had seen this before and knew what the fix was. I loosened the neck screws just enough to shift the headstock to reposition the neck in the pocket until the gap was even between the strings and each side of the neck at the pocket. This re-centered the strings over the pole pieces. I retightened the neck and the problem is gone.

I surmised the guitar left the factory perfect, and the neck must have shifted while bouncing around during shipping.

Fret not,
John

My Lunar Ice had that problem, which bothered me because my Nebula didn’t have it. After careful observation, I noticed the strings were offset to one side of the neck. They were not centered over the pole pieces in the pickups either. I had seen this before and knew what the fix was. I loosened the neck screws just enough to shift the headstock to reposition the neck in the pocket until the gap was even between the strings and each side of the neck at the pocket. This re-centered the strings over the pole pieces. I retightened the neck and the problem is gone.

I surmised the guitar left the factory perfect, and the neck must have shifted while bouncing around during shipping.

Fret not,
John

This. This is part of the set-up process you can do yourself. Most bolt-on necks will shift after UPS/Fedex abuses them greatly in shipping. If I have to adjust mine, I ever so slightly favor it to the treble side to ensure I'm not pulling strings off the fretboard. I had to do this with a Fender Malmsteen. That was the worst guitar ever in terms of how close the strings were to the end of the fret.

I second replies above. A small gap is no issue, and is also common in Strats. Neck alignment and screw tightness are things you want to check every great now and then. My experience is that once it’s right, it’s right, barring a drop or something similar.

The neck radius is more rounded than any regular Strat in recent manufacture, matching the 1963-64 Strat necks that the Silver Sky is based on. Adjusting takes a short time, much like going in the opposite direction to a flatter or wider neck. You’ll have no issue with it in a flash.

Congratulations! The SS is a sweet guitar, and the Orion Green color is classy, in my opinion! Mine is Horizon Red, and it’s a beautiful guitar, too.

Last edited:
I have 2 Silver Sky’s and also a Miami Blue American Professional II. I fully agree that they compliment each other very well in that they have very different sounds.

Of the 3, the Fender is between the Silver Sky’s in terms of neck pocket gap. None are excessive by any stretch.

I never had a problem with the low e string, but I play 7.25 radius more often than not. For me it took a little practice to do thumb over chords on the Fender. I’m sure after you play it a bit you’ll be fine.

Fret not,
John

You must be the only guy in the history of this forum to post about a minor problem, and just man up and deal with it, rather than go scorched earth on everyone in the supply chain.

Seriously, I’m not being sarcastic. Well done!

Back