2013 Santana models, bound fretboard?

thornie

Hey all... First time poster, long time lurker.

I'm in the market for a Santana and have been checking the big retailers such as MF, Sweetwater, Dave's, Wildwood, Willcutt, etc etc daily looking for any sign of a 2013 model. I'm holding out for the 2013 model because I, like most folks prefer the newer bird design on the 2013s. Any way, I was on Sweetwater just now and spotted one of the new 2013 models and to my surprise the fret board binding is gone! This obviously goes against the spec sheet on the official website, so I'm a bit confused. Has binding been eliminated for the 2013 Santanas? Or is this some sort of one off oddity? I know PRS has ditched the binding on all of their other models for 2013, but it would be a real bummer if they did for the Santana as well.

Here is the link to the 2013 with no binding...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SantSYL/

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;45178 said:
Hmmmm... the web page (noted as 2013) certainly calls for a bound neck.

http://prsguitars.com/santana/specs.php

Yeah, it's odd. It actually doesn't surprise me considering they've discontinued binding across the board on all of their other electric models. It's more surprising to me that they neglected to update their website. Any way, I shot an email over to PRS customer support. No idea if they'll even answer, but it's worth a shot.

Yeah, it's odd. It actually doesn't surprise me considering they've discontinued binding across the board on all of their other electric models. It's more surprising to me that they neglected to update their website. Any way, I shot an email over to PRS customer support. No idea if they'll even answer, but it's worth a shot.

They just finished NAMM updates. Give it a few days.

That is odd!

Fixed the spec on the site. Photo shows a 2012 model. I'll update the photos when I have them.

Haha, thanks for the quick update both in email and on here. You guys are the best! :rock:

thanks for bringing it to our attention. stuff always slips through the cracks, no matter how many people get a look at it.

thanks for bringing it to our attention. stuff always slips through the cracks, no matter how many people get a look at it.

It could be worse. This page has been up on the Gibson site for months. Check out the high E string at the nut.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...SA/Paul-Landers-Signature-Les-Paul/Specs.aspx

Nut.jpg

that's pretty funny

still, gotta give them credit for getting through that much product photography. can't be easy

Yeah, it's odd. It actually doesn't surprise me considering they've discontinued binding across the board on all of their other electric models.

I think that the new Schon and certain other hollowbody models, like the JA-15 still have bound necks.

The funny thing is PRS can't win; when they came out with the bound necks on SC58s, McCarty 58s, and Santana, people absolutely howled and called it a "deal breaker." There was post after post about it on the old BaM site. They remove them, and different people are bummed.

Just goes to show, ya can't please everyone!

I think that the new Schon and certain other hollowbody models, like the JA-15 still have bound necks.

The funny thing is PRS can't win; when they came out with the bound necks on SC58s, McCarty 58s, and Santana, people absolutely howled and called it a "deal breaker." There was post after post about it on the old BaM site. They remove them, and different people are bummed.

Just goes to show, ya can't please everyone!

Yeah, I hear ya. I actually don't like binding on most PRSi, but binding on the Santana along with the headstock veneer ups the "wow" factor for me. IMO it completes the guitar aesthetically... It just looks right. Any way, it looks I'll be trying to find a 2011/2012 model which shouldn't be too hard. If it's between binding or old birds, I'll choose binding :)

Yeah, I hear ya. I actually don't like binding on most PRSi, but binding on the Santana along with the headstock veneer ups the "wow" factor for me. IMO it completes the guitar aesthetically... It just looks right.

I like the binding, but I've also always liked them either way (I guess I'm easy to please).

I have two recent models with bound necks. It's a classic look.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;45470 said:
I like Les Paul's. Every time I think I'm ready to buy another, I spend it on a PRS I want more.

I have the same problem with 335s. Haven't had one in years. Can't bring myself to choose one over a PRS.

Back