1st post: SE Hollowbody - WHY only THREE positions when SE 594 w. identical picks has EIGHT?

Ultralight

I have the McCarty SE 594. Just fantastic. And appreciate the fine control of the pick up with 8 possible positions to cover all the possible ranges of the pick up.

The SE Hollowbody has identical pickups but only allow THREE positions - Humbucker Treble, Humbucker Treble + BASS, Humbucker Bass. This is not the Piezo model.

Compared to the SE 594, it is missing: Treble Coil-Tap, Treble & Bass Coil-Taps, Treble Humbucker & Bass Coil-Tap, Trebiel Coil-Tap & Bass Humbucker, and Bass Coil-Tap. Obviously in the SE 594, these positions produce tones that matter, hence the inclusion.

Question 1: Why not for the SE Hollowbody?
Question 2: How difficult would it be to retrofit a Hollowbody to function like the 594?
Question 3: Tonally, is there a reason not to do so? Does a Hollowbody somehow makes those extra 5 positions irrelevant?

Thanks.

Because the SE HB / SE HB II don't possess coil-taps? And were designed that way for the price point? The SE HB / SE HB II are both this way. The SE HB II Piezo was designed with piezo pickups for an electric/acoustic tone.

Perhaps it costs more to build a hollow body than it does a 594.

Do the math and see why no coil-tap at MRSP MAP prices.

I have the McCarty SE 594. Just fantastic. And appreciate the fine control of the pick up with 8 possible positions to cover all the possible ranges of the pick up.

Question 2: How difficult would it be to retrofit a Hollowbody to function like the 594?
Question 3: Tonally, is there a reason not to do so? Does a Hollowbody somehow makes those extra 5 positions irrelevant?

Thanks.
Very difficult. If you have the stomach to feed all the electronics out of the body (through the f-holes, do the mods, and then reinstall, you're a pro. As an electrical engineer, I'd say I'm pretty skilled with wiring and electronics - I started this project, and immediately stopped. Definitely not worth the effort.

Very difficult. If you have the stomach to feed all the electronics out of the body (through the f-holes, do the mods, and then reinstall, you're a pro. As an electrical engineer, I'd say I'm pretty skilled with wiring and electronics - I started this project, and immediately stopped. Definitely not worth the effort.
Yep, any electronics mods on these guitars is not for the faint of heart. However, if I had one, I would definitely mod it but I have been working on guitars for a very long time and have the patience for things like this. It wouldn't be something I would want to pay someone to do because the labor would be big on it.

The SE Hollowbody has identical pickups but only allow THREE positions - Humbucker Treble, Humbucker Treble + BASS, Humbucker Bass. This is not the Piezo model.

Compared to the SE 594, it is missing: Treble Coil-Tap, Treble & Bass Coil-Taps, Treble Humbucker & Bass Coil-Tap, Trebiel Coil-Tap & Bass Humbucker, and Bass Coil-Tap. Obviously in the SE 594, these positions produce tones that matter, hence the inclusion.

Thanks.

Maybe because you have a standard Master Tone/Volume pot in the HB - yet individual volume and Switchable Tone pots on a 594 which are 'deeper' in length and I would imagine too deep to get in without damaging something - don't forget the post that sticks up through too has to be inserted from below in that small gap.

Also it matches the Hollowbody II range in the core line - the guitar the SE is the affordable version of - The HBii only has 3 Magnetic tones! I bought the 594 HBii so that I have the 594 layout/functionality in one hollow guitar but that is not available in the SE range. People wanted a more affordable Hollowbody, an 'SE' HBii even without the Piezo to keep costs 'down' but please release one - PRS brought out 3 versions at different price points and you complain it's not like your 594 when its exactly like the HBii its the SE equivalent of?

It does make a difference in the same way it does on a 594 - the equivalent tonal difference is similar so if you 'use' the split tones enough on the 594, you can get an idea of what the split tones would sound like on the HB if you choose to modify. I don't know if the body is thick enough to think about a push/pull tone pot like the 594 - it could double the range of tones to 6, but realistically, you'd probably require drilling to add microswitches for switching and fitting all of that, when all soldered together neatly so it doesn't rattle etc to acheive that. option to split is not easy or cheap. Whether its worth the cost/effort to modify, that only comes down to you and whether or not those coil tapped/split sounds are worth it to you.

As for not doing it, It depends on the mods you need to make and/or risks involved with it. I doubt it will affect things too much if its minimal impact mod, but most Double Pick-up guitars for decades only offered 3 positions - Les Paul, SG, 335, Tele... It's only worth it if those tones are useful to you to create the sound you make, usually with other people and 'their' sound combining to form Music. If you don't use or really like the sound of those Split coils on a HB, its not worth it but if you do...

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for replying. Mozzi, you get special thanks for your lengthy response. :)

Last week, I placed an order for two of the SE HB Piezo with a reputable dealer I've purchased a few thousand dollars worth of guitars before. In stock supposedly at a phenomenal price. They just cancelled due to poor inventory control supposedly. It was frustrating. So I'm now stuck waiting 5 months to come in and the claim they will honor my pricing. Will see.... I know that other dealers have stock - but at considerably higher pricing.

Thank you everyone for replying. Mozzi, you get special thanks for your lengthy response. :)

Last week, I placed an order for two of the SE HB Piezo with a reputable dealer I've purchased a few thousand dollars worth of guitars before. In stock supposedly at a phenomenal price. They just cancelled due to poor inventory control supposedly. It was frustrating. So I'm now stuck waiting 5 months to come in and the claim they will honor my pricing. Will see.... I know that other dealers have stock - but at considerably higher pricing.
Dumb question maybe but why two of them? I love mine to bits but I only have use for one haha

Possibly because the Core Hollowbody doesn't offer coil taps either, and they're trying to replicate it.

Back