1993 PRS STUDIO

deekayman

Hi

First time post for me here so please be gentle if I ask you some questions that might have been already discussed before.

Currently I own 5 PRS guitars (2004 SAS, 1993 Studio, 2011 Studio and 2003 & 2007 CU 22) and I have sold couple more (DGT and CE24) in the past.

My question is related to my 1993 PRS Studio HSS that I bought with already replaced humbucker with Dimarzio Fred and 2x true single coils didn't have any marking on the bottom.
I'm uncertain if these are the original PRS single pickups.

I've replaced those 2 single coils with stacked single coils just because of the noise and being much lower output than Fred. They weren't a good match to Fred in my ears.

Can you please tell me what was the model (and specs) of PRS pickups HSS that originally came with Studio model back in 1993?

Is there any way to visually distinguish PRS single coils from that era?

These single coils had black bobbin and cloth black and white wires and measured 6.1K for middle and 6.3K for the neck pickup.

I was really struggling to find a decent info on these early Studio guitar.

Thanks in advance if you can help answering my question or if you could direct me to the web site where I can educate myself .

Regards

The older Studio models had some interesting single coils. Very small and flat with no markings and 2 very small leads (black and white). The pickups are flatter and smaller than a traditional single coil. The routings for the pickups did not fit any pickup other than the stock PRS singles without routing.

I seem to recall that some PRS single coils were made by Fralin. Did I dream that, or is that correct?

From PRS website: STUDIO: 1988 - 1991. Specs similar to the Special but with standard neck profile, Hot Vintage Treble pickup and two PRS single-coils. The studio’s single/single/hum pickup configuration was offered as an option until 1997.

I seem to recall that some PRS single coils were made by Fralin. Did I dream that, or is that correct?

I do believe this is correct on models where Fralin is noted.

Back