1989 Signature Series value, Pickup help

That yellow looks very, very sweet. Nice grain on that Rosewood too.

Which leads me another question. Did PRS use Ebony or Brazilian fret board woods early on? My neck is about as dark as it get's if it's rosewood (BTW 11.85/9.65 on my pickups..)

Hmmm.., I assumed the washer on the Sweet Switch was there because the hole had been drilled-out (made larger) to accomodate the larger shaft [snicker] of a tone pot. Just unscrew the nut, remove the washer, and see if any material was removed after it was stained.

There were some guitars that left the factory with a washer. Heck, some left the factory (in the Sweet Switch era) with a tone pot. A few had both! Your guitar may be one of them that had the washer from the factory.

The pickups in your guitar appear to be what came stock for that year. They are not, so far as I am aware, unique in any way.

The hole hasn't been oversize and fits the shaft without need for the washer but I believe there may have been a key washer as the switch shaft has a small key-way. Could be the tech mistakenly mixed up the washers and possible misplaced the key washer. I carefully threaded the nut on but not snug until I can find one...I find it hard to believe these nuts are threaded on minus a washer of some sort? It would stress the finish...?

dW9LW347cGBatIw54iWyj-dNBtGoIWVRf_2U0ojHcZ0iFPbixrj57qeH_w304f6WBTuOYvQwKibnUWdskJUvtlT7V5UkAf2EMek6TYM5ZRtPsiSD4uPOVdOAMlYj0u1b90E25WJf_GeRrBBA-IFFxVN-TlApwNR1KUW-t9Nf4ZkSY2uoAKnvv7XBvPSNP91D9DdsjX6k6lEqbdFadoBWy4wfYRCrYw6ixyHnyaDZQKDQ46r6-y8SCGRzdgRdSypnKycKMb2LAJ_lEOrInvWliBAVjbjvfsk4cBFxeCXy8870cHp2CLQDogo6goi0TlfHjcmvQe3u4qhJEkKM__bwP4Mayw61HrtVTZUiSxid1qdm6xEsfdHetYthbCk4_MaNqMrGp2aT54uYRRRUE-ah8eUolFtA1qMxJrNWl0gDUQt9fTXtAb7L8XNqao2cZ3lU-m6BRejDn0WqiRIH-CwhXoh6oQCbnJThoaWZVcYeLGec42fQTCKbqamhLZEMlv4ZN-LNiN9D1GymNHmralT1W3f2EEZ_RhDzSUD5SvJBHXdFiiVkUEOKZDjiVmKbi2dSFoVaKG6Q-VTN14MYEKCscu7bgajnZuQttU8LYbxYYYppD_jvHRjvhyo9UcppEmhkVdEwcFMRht4HY5V7aSGJNvGN=w704-h938-no

The hole hasn't been oversize and fits the shaft without need for the washer but I believe there may have been a key washer as the switch shaft has a small key-way. Could be the tech mistakenly mixed up the washers and possible misplaced the key washer. I carefully threaded the nut on but not snug until I can find one...I find it hard to believe these nuts are threaded on minus a washer of some sort? It would stress the finish...?

dW9LW347cGBatIw54iWyj-dNBtGoIWVRf_2U0ojHcZ0iFPbixrj57qeH_w304f6WBTuOYvQwKibnUWdskJUvtlT7V5UkAf2EMek6TYM5ZRtPsiSD4uPOVdOAMlYj0u1b90E25WJf_GeRrBBA-IFFxVN-TlApwNR1KUW-t9Nf4ZkSY2uoAKnvv7XBvPSNP91D9DdsjX6k6lEqbdFadoBWy4wfYRCrYw6ixyHnyaDZQKDQ46r6-y8SCGRzdgRdSypnKycKMb2LAJ_lEOrInvWliBAVjbjvfsk4cBFxeCXy8870cHp2CLQDogo6goi0TlfHjcmvQe3u4qhJEkKM__bwP4Mayw61HrtVTZUiSxid1qdm6xEsfdHetYthbCk4_MaNqMrGp2aT54uYRRRUE-ah8eUolFtA1qMxJrNWl0gDUQt9fTXtAb7L8XNqao2cZ3lU-m6BRejDn0WqiRIH-CwhXoh6oQCbnJThoaWZVcYeLGec42fQTCKbqamhLZEMlv4ZN-LNiN9D1GymNHmralT1W3f2EEZ_RhDzSUD5SvJBHXdFiiVkUEOKZDjiVmKbi2dSFoVaKG6Q-VTN14MYEKCscu7bgajnZuQttU8LYbxYYYppD_jvHRjvhyo9UcppEmhkVdEwcFMRht4HY5V7aSGJNvGN=w704-h938-no

On my '91 CU24, there is no washer under the nut for the Sweet Switch. No finish issues that I can see. It's tight enough that I can't use my fingers to loosen it.

Did PRS use Ebony or Brazilian fret board woods early on? My neck is about as dark as it get's if it's rosewood

Yes BRW on set necks up to around 1991. Brazilian was listed as a $20 option on the very first price list so it's possible some very early guitars didn't have it but I think BRW is a safe assumption for anything set-neck 1985 to 1990/91. Bolt on CEs used Indian RW from memory as (I think) did the EG range.

On my '91 CU24, there is no washer under the nut for the Sweet Switch. No finish issues that I can see. It's tight enough that I can't use my fingers to loosen it.
Thank you my friend. That's good to note.

Yes BRW on set necks up to around 1991. Brazilian was listed as a $20 option on the very first price list so it's possible some very early guitars didn't have it but I think BRW is a safe assumption for anything set-neck 1985 to 1990/91. Bolt on CEs used Indian RW from memory as (I think) did the EG range.
$20? that's a cheap option considering what that cost nowadays on a custom neck. The grain is not as "spiderweb'ish" or redish as some Braz boards...I'm convinced It's a really, really dark, rich Rosewood.

Thank you my friend. That's good to note.
$20? that's a cheap option considering what that cost nowadays on a custom neck. The grain is not as "spiderweb'ish" or redish as some Braz boards...I'm convinced It's a really, really dark, rich Rosewood.

The 1985 price list showing BRW as a $20 option - sourced from the much missed 'Vintage PRS' website.

85PriceListPRS.jpg

The 1987 price list showing BRW now standard - again sourced from the former 'Vintage PRS' website.

87PRSPricelist1.jpg

They appear to be using 'Brazilian' RW in 1987 and (the much rarer) 'Brazillian' in 1985, so maybe that's why there is a difference:rolleyes:

Whoa that's some cool ol' information there... BRW as Standard, who does that anymore. New Metal?...

And he sold it?!?!

I know - you can't own them all though. I would have sold it and then bought something else PRS. I know someone who at one point was probably buying a guitar a week and it ends up you have 100 plus guitars and need a massive house to store them in. Then you realise you have too many, and sell them anyway. I just missed out the middle stage.

I had a guy tell me once his CE had Brazilian rosewood. I think not.

Back