12 string info..

Paul D. Pionzio

Looking for help…has anyone ever changed their PRS 12 string to be strung like a Rickenbacker 12 string..where the octave string is under the main string rather than over it..this would require a nut replacement I realize…

I have a PRS 12-string (along with a Takamine acoustic 12), and I will admit that stringing like a Rick would be a fun experiment, but impractical to do "just for laughs". So I bet the number of folks who own a PRS 12 (which is small) who want to purposely switch to the Rick string config (which is not the common practice I assume for a reason, so again a small number) is a very small Venn diagram representation.

Swapping the nut, plus the tweaks to the saddles on the bridge (reversing the relative intonations), would not be a quick task.

If you try it, please do report back here!

Thanks, I really rather buy a Rickenbacker 360/12v64, or a 360/12c63 or even the 1993 Plus but all are getting too expensive as they aren’t producing many of the later two too fast. I think the older models maybe a bit better too. The trademark “jangle” sound the Ricks have could be a combination of their toaster pickups and the way that they are strung.

Back