You must be kidding!

Moondog Wily

Howlin' At The Moon!
Don't know about y'all, but this looks like a huge oversight from the Private stock team:

DSC05841-8_1024x1024@2x.jpg

$12,799 (PS#8610) and you could not create a custom TRC to match the nut angle on this guitar? Still a beautiful guitar, but I would not buy it until PRS fixed what I see as a glaring cosmetic flaw.

It's trickier than it seems, but I agree it's awfully ugly.
The headstock is angled right where that TRC/headstock veneer stops, while the area behind the nut is likely flat.
What they could have done is route a channel for the nut in the fingerboard instead of routing out all the wood past the front of the nut. But doing so would likely cause a clearance problem for the treble strings.
If you just extend the TRC you have the same problem due to the angle: the TRC might start touching the G/b strings or even be higher than the nut slots but the time it's flush with the back of the nut.

It does seem awkward. Perhaps they should have done the multiscale the way strandberg does with the nut being the perpendicular 'fret'

The problem is, the fretboard there is not co-planar with the headstock, so there'd be a gap underneath unless they did something custom with the angle of the headstock or how they cut the fretboard there.

Arguably, this is the private stock, they might should have. I mean, they made a one-off pickup, so why not?

I agree that it may have been "tricky" for a few reasons, but to not rise to the challenge on a guitar of this cost and caliber is inexcusable IMO. And cutting a piece with some extra angles (including the extra depth angles of the TRC to get it to fit correctly on the changing plane of fretboard to headstock) is not beyond their skill or technology levels. Cosmetics after all are the cornerstone of the PS program!

All that said, I would love to own this piece! Stellar in every other way as far as I'm concerned!

I agree that it may have been "tricky" for a few reasons, but to not rise to the challenge on a guitar of this cost and caliber is inexcusable IMO. And cutting a piece with some extra angles (including the extra depth angles of the TRC to get it to fit correctly on the changing plane of fretboard to headstock) is not beyond their skill or technology levels. Cosmetics after all are the cornerstone of the PS program!

All that said, I would love to own this piece! Stellar in every other way as far as I'm concerned!

They have a recessed TRC option which I think could have helped quite a bit in this case.

I suspect they don't even make the wood TRCs themselves, actually.
That's what I got on one of my PS, decent but a very bad match for the headstock veneer:
1MBgoIJ.jpg

Interestingly it came with a mounting distance that was considerably longer than USA guitars, as if it were a SE-compatible TRC... Interesting indeed.
Anyhow I managed to find a much better match out of two ziricote headplates I had laying around:
fOaddDj.jpg

They have a recessed TRC option which I think could have helped quite a bit in this case.

I suspect they don't even make the wood TRCs themselves, actually.
That's what I got on one of my PS, decent but a very bad match for the headstock veneer:
1MBgoIJ.jpg

Interestingly it came with a mounting distance that was considerably longer than USA guitars, as if it were a SE-compatible TRC... Interesting indeed.
Anyhow I managed to find a much better match out of two ziricote headplates I had laying around:
fOaddDj.jpg
Now that looks like a PS TRC! WAY better than the original!

Hilarious Rick!! But I must say, I received my first PRS from Ish Guitars in February '21 and they handled the transaction very well IMO!!! So no fault on Ish, but yes, Right-Ish fits well!!! Good catch!
Ish is cool, and gets a lot of really sweet custom PRS lines. But I couldn’t pass on that one...

The headstock angle begins at the end of the fretboard blank. You can see the glue line underneath the TRC cover. I thought I saw a previous fan fret model that routed the TRC footprint to create a flat bed for the cover. I would guess that they didn’t do it on this one because that didn’t work well. I’d imagine it would make the cover harder to remove? You’d otherwise have to make a cover that had an angled bevel to fit the board. Sounds like a PITA.

The headstock angle begins at the end of the fretboard blank. You can see the glue line underneath the TRC cover. I thought I saw a previous fan fret model that routed the TRC footprint to create a flat bed for the cover. I would guess that they didn’t do it on this one because that didn’t work well. I’d imagine it would make the cover harder to remove? You’d otherwise have to make a cover that had an angled bevel to fit the board. Sounds like a PITA.

All good points. And then there would be a bevel line across the TRC which might be even more obvious. my bet is they predicted all of these issues and discussed it with the dealer/buyer ordering this, and mutually decided this would be the best solution. The amount of planning/discussion and modifications that go into a private stock are staggering. I would not assume they overlooked anything just because it is not the solution you may have preferred if you ordered one.

this guitar isn’t for me because the tuners don’t even have wings, but why does a fan fret nut need to be slanted on the tuner side?

Everything depends on it's history. The idea is more important than the materials.

Back