Worn Topcoat help

Threepiece

Hey Folks,

New here so apologies for any mis-steps.

Looked through the stickies and new stuff - couldn't find an answer so...
Just received my long sought '13 S2 C24. Took a risk and got if off ebay for $700. Plays incredible - super happy, however what I couldn't see in the photos was that the topcoat was worn through in places and there's quite a bit of pick damage/markings. Question: Is there any easy solution to fixing the topcoat? It's Black Cherry and I love that so a full repaint or whatever would be too much. Figured I'd ping your collective genius to see if there's a known solution.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, but sorry, no quick fixes.
Bottom line:Rock that baby as is and just enjoy the sound & playability, have it refinished -or- try to do it yourself (If you're semi skilled at that sort of thing)
Good luck

Welcome to the forum, but sorry, no quick fixes.
Bottom line:Rock that baby as is and just enjoy the sound & playability, have it refinished -or- try to do it yourself (If you're semi skilled at that sort of thing)
Good luck

Hey - thanks for the response. Was beginning to wonder if I'd made a mistake in the posting. I am enjoying playing it and am frankly a little nervous about either getting it refinished or doing it myself. Plus, I'm guessing it would be cost prohibitive to have someone do it. My only real concern is that the wood is raw (a very thin line on the top edge) and that moisture might get in there and mess things up. Anyway, thanks again.

Welcome.

There's no strict need to worry about it. It will still be perfectly functional and stable missing some finish from the body.

One concern is that the finish may continue to flake off, spreading the finish damage.

Pics will help (we love pics in general), but a few possible ways to proceed:

• You may be able to buff out the pick scratches if they don't go through the top coat
  • Send pics to the PTC for a quote on finish repair (likely a good chunk of change, but it'll look a million bucks when they're done)
  • If you have a great luthier in the area (and I mean great) they may be able to do a good repair
  • If the damage isn't too widespread, you can seal it with clear nail polish. Won't look great, but will prevent flaking.
  • If you are a DIY person, you can learn to repair it yourself
  • As Huggy said, you can rock it as is. Enjoy digging into it without worrying about dinging it.

Welcome.

There's no strict need to worry about it. It will still be perfectly functional and stable missing some finish from the body.

One concern is that the finish may continue to flake off, spreading the finish damage.

Pics will help (we love pics in general), but a few possible ways to proceed:

• You may be able to buff out the pick scratches if they don't go through the top coat
  • Send pics to the PTC for a quote on finish repair (likely a good chunk of change, but it'll look a million bucks when they're done)
  • If you have a great luthier in the area (and I mean great) they may be able to do a good repair
  • If the damage isn't too widespread, you can seal it with clear nail polish. Won't look great, but will prevent flaking.
  • If you are a DIY person, you can learn to repair it yourself
  • As Huggy said, you can rock it as is. Enjoy digging into it without worrying about dinging it.
Thanks so much. Maybe I'm over-reacting. Here are some photos. You can see the edge is worn through - the other parts are harder to see but it is the dullness that is where it's worn through. link to imgur account here:
oe3TV

http://imgur.com/a/oe3TV

That looks very much like someone took sandpaper to it. PRS guitars just don't wear like that. Maybe a previous owner wanted to soften those edges? Maybe they wanted to make a relic? Who knows.

I would lean towards leaving it alone and rocking it without abandon.

Thank you. Indeed, it wasn't something I'd ever seen before and as such was unexpected. However, when you get a deal there's usually a reason, right? Thanks everyone.

Back