PRS Arcana: What Am I Missing Here?

Hm, @László, are you dealing with the bird design only?
My search identifies your guitar as a Private Stock 30th Anniversary CU24. https://prsguitars.com/privatestock/gallery_guitar/private_stock_30th_anniversary_custom_24

The birds are called 30th Anniversary Birds. To me the appear like the birds, prior the birds as of 20th Anniversary (despite the 513 birds). The main difference in comparison to ordinary PRS fretboard designs is the curve they fly over the fretboard and the double bird inlay at the 12th fret.

Hm, @László, are you dealing with the bird design only?

I knew that my guitar didn't have the Old Birds.

The reason I mentioned the Old Birds issue is that the question I had about what the Old Birds are reminded me about questions I've always had about my CU24 30th PS.

There's PRS nomenclature I don't understand even after 32 years of buying PRS'.

My search identifies your guitar as a Private Stock 30th Anniversary CU24.

Hey, I hope the search didn't take too long, since I did mention that in my original post!

;)

Seriously, I knew the specs on the guitar. I just don't see what's unusual about a 'pre-factory' body carve or headstock.

To me this just shows how much more excited I am to get them than I am when I get rid of them.
I always feel a little guilty when I sell or trade one in for a variety of reasons. I kinda don't want to remember. ;)

But buying them? As unforgettable as that acid trip when I played at Woodstock!

"Yeeeaaahhhhh...but you weren't actually at Woodstock, Laz."

"OK, but I was high when I saw the movie and I thought I was there. That's pretty much the same thing, right?"

"I, um, think maybe...not."

"You're too focused on the everyday, mundane things in life, man."

"It's called reality. Some people swear by it."

Last edited:
Hey, I hope the search didn't take too long, since I did mention that in my original post!

;)
Ehm, I just missed to recognize that particular detail in your opening post.
Hence I apologize this repetition.
Burrlucks recent PRS book was published in coincidence of the 30th Anniversary of PRS (2015). But the actual publication was already in 2014. Therefore it's not a worthwhile help, because it doesn't mention the special runs in 2015.
But it may be suitable to have a look into it concerning a comparison to the birds in 1985 and aswell body shapes.
On the other hand side: Why wasting time into that investigation? As long the guitar plays and sounds well (and being optically a beauty) the guitar should be loved by being used for its genuine purpose.

Ehm, I just missed to recognize that particular detail in your opening post.
Hence I apologize this repetition.

No worries! Just teasing a little. ;)

Burrlucks recent PRS book was published in coincidence of the 30th Anniversary of PRS (2015). But the actual publication was already in 2014. Therefore it's not a worthwhile help, because it doesn't mention the special runs in 2015.
But it may be suitable to have a look into it concerning a comparison to the birds in 1985 and aswell body shapes.

Yup, I have Dave Burrluck's most recent edition of the book - my dealer sent me a copy signed by Paul Smith as a Christmas gift a few years back!

I had the earlier, hard-cover edition of it as well. I gave that one to the guitar player in a band I was producing 20 years ago, because he had a CU24 he called 'The Beast', and I loved his playing. He didn't know much about PRS history, though, so I said, "Take this book," and gave it to him.

On the other hand side: Why wasting time into that investigation? As long the guitar plays and sounds well (and being optically a beauty) the guitar should be loved by being used for its genuine purpose.

Oh, I truly love the guitar, it's a rock star in every way!

I was just curious to see if anyone knew what the pre-factory carve and headstock were, because I've never been able to find out. I didn't see an explanation in the Burrluck book, but I read it long enough ago that I should re-check it.

I have a German friend - same academical education like you - who is very much into the pre-factory phase and started a thread in a German forum. Maybe he could unveil the curtain of unconciousness :) I will ask him.

(Not to jump into our personal area I inform you, that a certain manufacturer is going to stop his business by end of 2024. Up to now nobody was willing to buy his business/and the patents, because the whole construction is not really capable for an industrialized production due to a large number of manual processes.)

I have a German friend - same academical education like you - who is very much into the pre-factory phase and started a thread in a German forum. Maybe he could unveil the curtain of unconciousness :) I will ask him.
Thank you!
(Not to jump into our personal area I inform you, that a certain manufacturer is going to stop his business by end of 2024. Up to now nobody was willing to buy his business/and the patents, because the whole construction is not really capable for an industrialized production due to a large number of manual processes.)
Thanks for the info - I'd better get one while I can.

scan0004-jpg.872326

scan0005-jpg.872327
scan0006-jpg.872328

scan0007-jpg.872329
scan0008-jpg.872330

Everything I found out is not really hot stuff information. These 30th Anniversary PS are reminiscences to the old workshop manual craftmanship - and Paul's blue prints. Headstock angle, heel design, flatter violin carving. No CNC, but manual carving. And a different carved lower horn (a little bit sharper than later).

Joe Knaggs, Peter Wolf, and John Ingram have the opinion, that the overall quality increased due to the development of the process (and adding CNC). It's the manufacturing, the pickups, the tuners and so on.

I thought I had read somewhere that the break angle on the headstock changed so maybe the pitch is different on the old ones even though they look identical.
I have a wood library 594 that has "old birds" spec'd by the dealer for that run. They are solid MOP. My other core PRS's have the added outline around the birds.

I thought I had read somewhere that the break angle on the headstock changed so maybe the pitch is different on the old ones even though they look identical.
I have a wood library 594 that has "old birds" spec'd by the dealer for that run. They are solid MOP. My other core PRS's have the added outline around the birds.
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

The headstock angle on my 30th PS CU24 appears to be the same as the one on my new DGT, so I still don't k now what the difference between this headstock and the current model.

If Burrluck's book was pdf with OCR, then it would be a more easy approach.
Other than that: How about to call the Customer Service with this RFI?!

Back