Wife wants to buy me a new PRS…what to pick?

Daveporter33765

My wife just inherited a large sum of money and thought of me first! As soon as she learned she was inheriting this money she asked “What is the one guitar that you would want if money was no object?” I jokingly said “a custom PRS guitar of some kind…one of a kind with every option picked by me.“ she asked how much that would cost and I said in the neighborhood of $15 grand. She said “Great, I just found out I am inheriting a large sum of money so you figure out what you want and we will order it as soon as I receive the money!” WOW! That was double good news…she was coming into a pot of money we were not expecting and she wanted to buy me a custom PRS! She should have the money in a month or so.

Now my dilemma…what model to pick and what options to chose…tough choice I know! lol

I am thinking along the lines of a Private Stock Modern Eagle V. I am interested in hearing what options others would recommend if I went with this guitar, and/or what other models others would choose.

I need another guitar like I need a whole in the head, in fact I have started giving my grandkids some of the guitars in my collection. But, this is a special situation and I am seriously considering taking her up on her offer. lol

My wife is one in a million; she has always been extremely supportive of everything related to my involvement in all things musical. She is the kind of wife who was always ready and willing to go to a guitar store (or the NAMM show) and spend a day looking at every guitar, musical instrument and piece of studio gear in the place…and enjoy it (not the typical guitar store zombie wife dragging herself behind the hubby complaining about being there). She voluntarily learned to be a really competent audio engineer so she could run front of house sound at gigs I played at and help out in my studio. She has never complained about anything in all the years we have been together! She is a real keeper! Now, with this offer…she just moved-up to goddess status! lol

Last edited:
My personal one would be PS Custom 24, Zebrawood top with white wash so you can see the grain, Korina body or highly figured mahogany, Braz neck and board, something unique for the inlays, mosaic headstock eagle, 85/15 neck with uncovered \m/ treble with 35th anni (Signature) switching.

I think that would work for me ;)

Well, if you're leaning towards a ME-V, it's gotta have a Rosewood neck! I'd reach out to a dealer for a PS spec sheet so you can get some ideas and play around with configurations. If you're looking for something "unique", the guys at Brian's Guitars or Ish Guitars have done some out of this world builds. Lots of other great dealers to work with, as well.

Wow! I mean, wow!

I don't have a lot to say about options for a ME-V, other than to second the suggestion for a rosewood neck.
As for what I would get, the real decision was if I would prefer to go for my dream guitar, or (since I have one that's close) go for something else that fills a hole in the collection more. In this situation, I think dream guitar is the right choice. Your wife isn't just offering money for one more entry into the arsenal, but for the perfect (for you) instrument. For me, that would mean a PS 513, even though I already have a great 2004 513.

Why are you asking us something that only you can answer? ;)
Because I am relatively new to the ranks of PRS guitar owners. I have been playing and purchasing guitars for over 50 years…but I did not purchase my first PRS until a couple years ago. Therefore, the many forum members who have been PRS owners for many years could have insight and recommendations that could help me make a wise choice. Obviously, this will be a once in a lifetime PRS purchase for me and I want to have all the info I can before I choose.

Have a great day.

To clarify, I have one of most popular guitars from the past 60 years, Les Pauls, Strats, Tele, Rickenbacker 360, Gretsch Country Gentleman, and various assorted others. However, I was not a PRS fan until recently (about two years ago). Since then, I have come to be a true fan…my other guitars now take a back seat.

Since I have a Core Paul’s Guitar and a SE Hollowbody II Piezo, I was thinking of something that sounded different from those two, like the ME-5, a DGT or a Studio.

Currently, the local guitar shops have very few PRS guitars in-stock so trying out the various guitars is not possible so I have reported to listening to sound clips on the Net of each…which your all know can be very misleading.

So, I value the input you long-term PRS guys (and gals) may have.

Thanks!

I have 2 MEV's, one with a hog neck, the other with maple

Honestly, you can't go wrong with these babies. Super versatile, and a joy to play. I have a PS Studio as well, and the narrowfields are excellent. But for the mix of coil options, the MEV's win out.

If it was me, I'd go MEV with a Rosie neck, but only because I have the other 2 to make it a hat trick.

Somehow, you should play a bunch of different PRS models first.
Figure out which scale length feels the most perfect for you.
If you can, get a Brazilian rosewood neck.

If it was me, it would be a hollowbody, something along the lines of the SC-J. I would want highly figured mahogany for the body, curly redwood or cedar for the top.

Because I am relatively new to the ranks of PRS guitar owners. I have been playing and purchasing guitars for over 50 years…but I did not purchase my first PRS until a couple years ago. Therefore, the many forum members who have been PRS owners for many years could have insight and recommendations that could help me make a wise choice. Obviously, this will be a once in a lifetime PRS purchase for me and I want to have all the info I can before I choose.

Have a great day.
With that gift I would consider having my wife's name inlaid! Or at least call it "Honey".

I live on the lower end of thePRS spectrum, and I’m an old newbie, so little to offer in configuration advice. One comment, and one idea. 1) from you description, your wife hit goddess status well before the current guitar offer. Congrats on a great wife, and for likely being at least a decent husband! 2) what about a road or plane trip to a dealer(s) that sell big volume and has a decent inventory of higher end PRS to get some exposure to guitars you would consider?

what about a road or plane trip to a dealer(s) that sell big volume and has a decent inventory of higher end PRS
We are considering a trip to the factory to have the entire “wood library…custom guitar” experience. My wife, Michele, said she would love going there to pick the woods, finishes, electronics and mechanical parts. However, your suggestion is a possibility too! Thanks for the suggestion.

After reading the original post I think your wife achieved
Goddess status way before she offered to buy you a guitar.

You, and the others who made a similar comment, are so correct. Michele is a one in a million lady. She has the sweetest, most loving and affectionate personality I have ever known a woman to have. Believe it or not, in the 12 years we have been together she has never complained about anything, not even once!
By the way, this isn’t the first guitar she bought me…a few years back she went to our local Sam Ash where the staff had come to know her well over the years, and bought me a Rickenbacker 360 because I had taken it down from the rack and played it in the store on several occasions when she and I were there hanging out there together in the past. She wanted to surprise me…needless to say, she did!

We are considering a trip to the factory to have the entire “wood library…custom guitar” experience. My wife, Michele, said she would love going there to pick the woods, finishes, electronics and mechanical parts. However, your suggestion is a possibility too! Thanks for the suggestion.
If it’s in the cards, definitely go to the vault yourself with your dealer. Highly recommended.

Some killer wood library runs at Brian’s that’s are modern eagles. You won’t be disappointed if you opt to work with them. May be a bit modest in price compared to full private stock build. :p But they do private stocks builds. I believe turnaround for a PS is 18-24 months. But don’t quote me on that

Back