Why was my thread deleted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to fan any flames here, and I didn't see the deleted thread, but I checked out the "Official Forum Rules - Read 'em!", and don't see that you can't mention a non-PRS brand? I'm not saying the rule doesn't exist, just I thought it would have been in there?

Frankly I'm a newer member here, and currently own two PRS guitars which I really enjoy. And I was recently treated with excellent customer service from the PRS team. But doesn't it seem a little petty that other brands can't be mentioned lol? I realize this is the official PRS forum, but also nobody is living under a rock here. We obviously know there are other brands. And we are here anyways! Is that a testament to how good the brand is?

I enjoy the NGD, NPD, NAD, Private Stock Fridays, etc. threads as much as the next guy. But I also hope there can be open conversation about other not so congratulatory topics too, like "this PRS guitar vs. that Brand X one". Or "I don't like this PRS guitar model", etc.

Not to fan any flames here, and I didn't see the deleted thread, but I checked out the "Official Forum Rules - Read 'em!", and don't see that you can't mention a non-PRS brand? I'm not saying the rule doesn't exist, just I thought it would have been in there?

Frankly I'm a newer member here, and currently own two PRS guitars which I really enjoy. And I was recently treated with excellent customer service from the PRS team. But doesn't it seem a little petty that other brands can't be mentioned lol? I realize this is the official PRS forum, but also nobody is living under a rock here. We obviously know there are other brands. And we are here anyways! Is that a testament to how good the brand is?

I enjoy the NGD, NPD, NAD, Private Stock Fridays, etc. threads as much as the next guy. But I also hope there can be open conversation about other not so congratulatory topics too, like "this PRS guitar vs. that Brand X one". Or "I don't like this PRS guitar model", etc.
While I get your point, it is always good to remember that this forum is paid for and provided for us BY PRS. I think it is completely reasonable for them to not want to see promotion of other brands, or denigration of their own brand, on the forum that they are paying for. There are other places for that, if you're interested. They don't have to allow it here, and you don't have to like it either!

Kevin

While I get your point, it is always good to remember that this forum is paid for and provided for us BY PRS. I think it is completely reasonable for them to not want to see promotion of other brands, or denigration of their own brand, on the forum that they are paying for. There are other places for that, if you're interested. They don't have to allow it here, and you don't have to like it either!

Kevin

This makes a lot of sense too.

th

+

Kevin

=

These 2 posts are the long and the short of it, right?

I don't think the OP need be admonished any further than they already have--there is reasonable exercise of free speech implicit within a forum (even one comprised of PRS devotees). Maybe there's a better way to voice frustration, etc that is forum- friendly. Just as PRS is within its rights to limit/censor/delete things not in accordance with their rules on their forum--I like the term, "Paul's house," that LSchefman used.

It's like the early days of the internet all over again :p

I think we can all agree two things are undesirable: Inappropriate content and open conflict between forum members.

While eagerly trying to help PRS manage the former, we should also be mindful not to inadvertently create or contribute to the latter.

There must exist a point where we transit from helping the cause to undermining it.

If this was the Steinberger thread, I may have been the culprit and I sincerely apologize. The OP asked a question about what the were and a few of us had fun going down memory lane on guitars that were made over 30 years ago. I honestly thought nothing of it because there was never a direct or indirect comparison to past, present or future PRS models. More like hey remember those and how funky they were.

Again, sorry and will not happen again.

But doesn't it seem a little petty that other brands can't be mentioned lol?
Not really. I'm more amazed when I see other companies that allow it. It's not just the cost of disk space and bandwidth, there's also the operating cost, mostly moderatin'.

Think of it as a convenience function, a glorified FAQ, where you can interactively ask the collective knowledge of the members here, but the mods have to read every single thread, whether it interests them or not. Sometimes they have to make the tough decision to delete an entire thread, rather than waste any more time on it, and that includes the future.

Think of it as a convenience function, a glorified FAQ, where you can interactively ask the collective knowledge of the members here

I think that's one function, yes.

As someone who is (accidentally, begrudgingly) in marketing, these forums are a sales investment. We come here and talk about these wonderful products and build a community around them. That's worth sales.

We also encourage each other to hoard PRSI, and that sells a few too.

We are advocates/brand loyalists/ambassadors for PRS. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Seems awfully narrow allowable content from above posts. Reminds me of the free range statements on many egg cartons or maybe the monkey experiment in that we are conditioning ourselves to artificially restrict otherwise acceptable behavior. This societal reaction unfortunately is rather pervasive and probably a causal in how we so often hear reports of how a "new study shows..." pseudo expositions misconstrue or has fraudulent pronouncements in their claims (See John Oliver for amusing commentary on this).

For example, in possible conflict to the recommended behavior listed above I asked about amps a few weeks (months?) ago and got lots of recommendations with most not PRS amps. Seems to be in the spirit of the rules for this forum (which BTW is why I didn't put any links in this comment as I don't want to be suspended for 30 days) but may be near the edge from what I read here.

I think that's one function, yes.

As someone who is (accidentally, begrudgingly) in marketing, these forums are a sales investment.
And also the occasional entertaining randomness, like the Games of Tones thread, and the PokeyMango thread...

I don't mean to say that they should only be looked at it that way, they can serve whatever function PRS desires...but that's it. It's whatever PRS desires, not what we desire.

My only frustration is that I sometimes don't remember when I'm on this forum, and respond as I would any of the public non-denominational fora.

I also spent many years doing software work for the navy, so I curse like a sailor. I sometimes forget myself around kids. (shrug) Can't unring the bell, so I apologize and move on. It's just a word -- if you really dislike it, don't empower it by reacting -- kids are going to learn them anyway...

Last edited:
I sometimes forget myself around kids. (shrug) Can't unring the bell, so I apologize and move on. It's just a word -- if you really dislike it, don't empower it by reacting -- kids are going to learn them anyway...

Reminds me of when I was coaching little league. The guy who was head coach told all the kids to head to the outfield. One kid lagged behind, and Sam said, "C'mon man, get out there!" The kid said, "I can't find my glove." Sam said, "If it was up your a$$ you'd know where it was." The kid looked at him for a second, then looked for his glove and started out. While this was going on, Sam looked at me and said, "Did I just butt or a$$?" I said, "A$$." He said, "Aw sh!t." Just as the kid ran past.

Gave him crap about it all season.

I've had a thread or two get nuked, with no warning or explanation. Does it irritate me, make my blood boil for a hot second, make me feel like I was being scolded for being an imbecile? To be honest, yeah, it does.

But, rather than spew fire, I just move on. Our mod is just doing the job, he's a solid guy, not out to piss anyone off. It is irritating to have a rational group of people that you don't find on other forums, but you can't ask them all about a specific piece of gear. Then again, I wouldn't appreciate having people to walk into my business and ask my customers what other places in town they should consider.

One of those threads was regarding a Mesa Stiletto. Ended up going for a Custom 50, guess that thread nuking worked! LOL

Reactions: moT
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back