I was playing my Stripped 58 unplugged last night...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
...and my girlfriend said "You know that guitar sounds better than your others even when it's not plugged in."

She's the best.

An artist and published author herself and she notices things like that.

So I picked up a Bernie Marsden and played it for a while and she said: "That one sounds twangy. The other one sounds better."

And she was right. The Stripped 58 doesn't sound plinky, doesn't have any buzzes or rattles, the strings resonate with a nice warmth and sustain that my other guitars don't quite have, even though they sound really good.

But I have a question: What exactly is a CORE guitar?

Any PRS guitar made in Maryland?

Are my '95, '97 and '00 CE22's considered "CORE" guitars?

Last edited:
But I have a question: What exactly is a CORE guitar?

Any PRS guitar made in Maryland?

Are my '95, '97 and '00 CE22's considered "CORE" guitars?

Nowadays, "Core" means anything that is both built in Maryland and isn't an S2, bolt-on, or Private Stock.

But that "Core" name seems to be more of a recent thing. Back when your '95-'00 CE's were made, there weren't such distinctions between the made-in-Maryland guitars and those earlier CE models (being noticeably different from the 2016-present CE guitars) would still be regarded as "Core."

Nowadays, "Core" means anything that is both built in Maryland and isn't an S2, bolt-on, or Private Stock.

But that "Core" name seems to be more of a recent thing. Back when your '95-'00 CE's were made, there weren't such distinctions between the made-in-Maryland guitars and those earlier CE models (being noticeably different from the 2016-present CE guitars) would still be regarded as "Core."
The name "Core" has been around for many years and is not something recently created. It was an internal to PRS name for the line of guitars. It wasn't ever supposed to get out to the public but it did.

Cool!

There is a reason I only have one SE (HBII) and 4 cores. Those core guitars are (as a package) in terms of construction and hardware unbeatable IMO. Pickups, well she said something about inplugged right?

Very cool.

The core nomenclature with pre-S2 guitars especially seems mirky. For instance, my Mira is a 2008, which predated the S2s. I often see listings for them described as "Core." As much as I love the guitar, it's quite a bit different from the "wowsa" factor inherent to the higher-end models. So stating "pre-S2" may be more accurate.

I think the CE22s are on a different plane, as they do have the PRS "wowsa" factor. Whether "Core" would fit them or not, I don't know.

It's probably be best to call them all "Groovy!"

Very cool.

The core nomenclature with pre-S2 guitars especially seems mirky. For instance, my Mira is a 2008, which predated the S2s. I often see listings for them described as "Core." As much as I love the guitar, it's quite a bit different from the "wowsa" factor inherent to the higher-end models. So stating "pre-S2" may be more accurate.

I think the CE22s are on a different plane, as they do have the PRS "wowsa" factor. Whether "Core" would fit them or not, I don't know.

It's probably be best to call them all "Groovy!"
The reason you are seeing some of those models listed as "core" is because they have made S2 or SE versions of those same guitars. Take the Starla for instance. I have on that is a 2009. I ordered it with the options it has and the color of it. They were a core guitar at that time. The build quality of mine is on par with the other core models of that time. If I were to sell it, I have seen others similar to it listed, I would state it was a "Core" version. Otherwise people start wondering why they heck you want so much for a Starla when they see them for a lot less money and don't know what to look at to see the differences in the models.

The new CE guitars are on par with the S2 models IMHO. They reduced the carve on the top and put a scarf jointed neck on them. The old CE guitars had the same level of carve top and the necks were made the same as the set neck guitars but were bolt on. That is what made them core level guitars.

There is nothing to debate about what a Core guitar is. It is an official PRS product line and whatever PRS chooses to release in that product line is a Core instrument. It’s their taxonomy. Nothing else is nor can be a Core guitar. They list the Core instruments on their website. That’s what they are. There are also some defunct models, but they were part of that official listing too. You all know all of this, so why do people keep debating this? It’s not a matter of our opinion what a Core guitar is. So far, all the Core guitars have had set necks, but that could change if they decided to do so. If they release a plastic kazoo made on the moon and list it under Core, than that is also a Core instrument, even if it has no common properties with the rest of the line.

There is nothing to debate about what a Core guitar is. It is an official PRS product line and whatever PRS chooses to release in that product line is a Core instrument. It’s their taxonomy. Nothing else is nor can be a Core guitar. They list the Core instruments on their website. That’s what they are. There are also some defunct models, but they were part of that official listing too. You all know all of this, so why do people keep debating this? It’s not a matter of our opinion what a Core guitar is. So far, all the Core guitars have had set necks, but that could change if they decided to do so. If they release a plastic kazoo made on the moon and list it under Core, than that is also a Core instrument, even if it has no common properties with the rest of the line.
I believe there were bolt on models that were considered core guitars when they were built such as the Swamp Ash Special.

So my 90's CE22's are not officially Core guitars...

They're "Bolt Ons".

I believe those refer to the current line-up. Your 90s are very much core (level) guitars

So my 90's CE22's are not officially Core guitars...

They're "Bolt Ons".

They are neither Core or Bolt-ons. They are simply PRS guitars. Neither product line existed back then so there is no need to designate it under either name. It would serve no purpose. Just like there is no need to designate a Gibson Les Paul Standard from 1959 under the Gibson USA Original series or the Gibson Custom Shop line. It is just a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Likewise a 90’s PRS CE24 (or any other model) is just a PRS guitar, unless it was part of some product line that I am not aware of. Back then there was only the need to differentiate between a CU24 and a CE24, and so they did.

I believe those refer to the current line-up. Your 90s are very much core (level) guitars
They are neither Core or Bolt-ons. They are simply PRS guitars. Neither product line existed back then so there is no need to designate it under either name. It would serve no purpose. Just like there is no need to designate a Gibson Les Paul Standard from 1959 under the Gibson USA Original series or the Gibson Custom Shop line. It is just a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Likewise a 90’s PRS CE24 (or any other model) is just a PRS guitar, unless it was part of some product line that I am not aware of. Back then there was only the need to differentiate between a CU24 and a CE24, and so they did.
Dang...this is getting clear as mud. o_O

Dang...this is getting clear as mud. o_O
PRS can tomorrow, if they feel the need to, rename all of their current lines. Perhaps it would serve a necessary and functional purpose. Custom 24 could become part of, let’s say, the Sponsored by Pepsi Max line of instruments. Wouldn’t make my 2006 Custom 24 a Sponsored By Pepsi Max guitar. But perhaps my next one would be.

The older CEs are core level. The SEs are far from.
I’d argue some of the higher end bolt on’s are core…like the silver sky, Fiore, the Dustie waring, and my bet is the new tele like that will be dropped soon.

The older CEs are core level. The SEs are far from.
I’d argue some of the higher end bolt on’s are core…like the silver sky, Fiore, the Dustie waring, and my bet is the new tele like that will be dropped soon.
I would rate my DW CE24 Floyd as a core level guitar! That guitar is very well made and killer!!!

Back