What to buy if only buying one

As you can see there is a lot of division here on the best "one" guitar ;). I see the 513 and DGT as very versatile as well as the Signature/408/Paul's guitar. However, if it were me, and your just looking for a great all around guitar and are not specifically chasing multiple tones then the SC's are sweet. My personal favorite is the SC250, most easily found used, it can cover some more "vintage" ground but excels in Rock, Hard Rock, and can enter the Metal arena.

If you like a Trem, then a Tremonti is also nice (did I mention I like Singlecuts :laugh:)

In all seriousness though, I like the versatility of 2 volume knobs and almost bought a DGT, but I prefer a stop tail.

Personally I use the two volume knobs almost like a channel switch. Typically the bridge will be run fully open and the neck around 3 or 4; the bridge can get you a good "lead" or fully distorted tone, the middle position is a little less biting and a little more full? deep? think crunch tone, then the neck position cleans up for a quasi clean channel. This is assuming you are using a single channel amp.

So with that in mind my top PRS models are SC250, Tremonti, SC245 (and the SC58) and DGT... in no particular order. Two Volumes for the win!

Thank you for all the good suggestions. Due to this thread I have a couple of more options to check out... may need to find a store in the VA/MD area that doesn't mind me hanging out for half a day to test them all.

I have found that stock varies greatly between stores and even the quality of new models - i suspect due to store maintenance. Although, one thing i find odd is that stores still sell new older PRS models 08/09 for the same price as you would pay for new ones. I would think after sitting on the guitar for 5 years they would offer a good price to move it, unless their arrangement with PRS prevents it. I think longer it sits, the better chance it will keep sitting.

My personal favorite is the SC250, most easily found used, it can cover some more "vintage" ground but excels in Rock, Hard Rock, and can enter the Metal arena.

I'm a big fan of the SC models as well. Their versatility is seriously underrated.

To get the most out of them, of course, you have to use the volume and tone controls, and so many players just turn them up and leave them there, so they tend to miss out on what you can do with them. I personally favor the 245 with the 2 pc bridge, but I've had the 250s and they're great options, too.

At any given time, I usually rock 2 PRS electrics, and much of the time, an SC is one of them. In fact, I have one coming soon.

I do think that the 408 or Paul's is a better "one guitar" choice for a lot of players, though.

Last edited:
I'm saving up for a PRS guitar and have been watching all the different demos on youtube. I only plan to buy one guitar.

I like all styles of music, but have a keener interest in rock from 60's (Beatles, Zeppelin, Hendrix), 70s (Pink Floyd) through modern day (The Black Keys, Jack White).

If you were only going to have one guitar, would it be the 513? If not, what would you suggest?

As a sidebar, I wonder how much difference the two tones and two volumes make on a single cut vs the one vol and tone on the other guitars. Is it to allow the guitarist to jump from bridge to neck without needing to adjust the tone/volume knobs? I would think that when bridge and neck pickups are active, the one tone could cover the range from the two tone knobs.

Thanks

Do you have any other guitars that you are looking to complement with the PRS?? Or would the PRS be your sole instrument??

I'm going to make myself very unpopular around here and say that I don't really think the piezo is worth the extra money and complexity. It sounds great, don't get me wrong, but it's still a piezo. In my opinion, you can get the same results with a Boss AC-3 pedal. It costs less, it works with any guitar you plug into it, and it doesn't require a battery in the guitar. Not to mention the fact that if you're using dual outputs, they come from the pedal so you don't have to have two cords sticking out of your axe.

I've got piezos on my acoustics and on my Hollowbody II. I recommend them on acoustics since you don't usually have magnetic pickups on an acoustic. On the HB2, I could take it or leave it.

:five:

I got yo back on this.

My most versatile is my 408
BUT
My best sounding guitar is my Modern Eagle II

That was my 1st, and supposed to be only. But it was so good it made me want more. I wasn't sure I would bond with it, but I had wanted one for a long time. Once I played it for a while I realized I should have gone 10 top, and a different color. If you really are aiming to get just one, make sure it covers as many of your wants as possible.

Tonally, the Custom 24 covers a big ground there, so I'm fine with that. Colour-wise.....y'know, Paul has always been coming up with colours that make you want more than just that one! :laugh: Actually, the Custom 22 ain't bad too... Ah, gosh! :rofl:

If I only owned one PRS, it would be an SC245 with a 2 piece bridge.

You like the two piece bridge better than the (what I call a) McCarty top wrap bridge? :iamconfused: Okay...

You like the two piece bridge better than the (what I call a) McCarty top wrap bridge? :iamconfused: Okay...

I like the two piece better, too.

It really does something for the guitar's tone that's hard to describe, but it's there.

If I ever order a private stock electric, it will have a 2 piece bridge.

Better tone plus added benefits: Adjustable saddles, very fast string changes. What's not to like?

Last edited:
I, too, prefer the one-piece wraparound bridge. It keeps the whole thing simpler for me. I didn't buy into the "two piece for more tone" talk as I don't really feel the need to get more "tone" out from a guitar that's already very toneful in it's own right. The two-piece was invented back then because the wraparound wasn't able to get spot-on intonation. Nowadays, you have the adjustable stoptail, so IMO there's really no need for a two-piece.

Last edited:
I like the two piece better, too.

It really does something for the guitar's tone that's hard to describe, but it's there.

If I ever order a private stock electric, it will have a 2 piece bridge.

Better tone plus added benefits: Adjustable saddles, very fast string changes. What's not to like?

Agree. IMO, regardless of brand, wrap arounds all seem to be tone suckers. I would love to try a semi hollow with a 2 piece bridge some day.

I didn't buy into the "two piece for more tone" talk as I don't really feel the need to get more "tone" out from a guitar that's already very toneful in it's own right.

It's all a matter of preference, of course, and there's no right and wrong in this, but the fact is that the 2 piece bridge takes the vibration from the strings to four points of attachment sunk into the body of the guitar instead of two, and the result sounds a little different.

Perhaps not "better" (that's truly subjective), but certainly not the same.

Whether that is important to a particular individual or not, it's there to hear. The nice thing is that with the AP now offering the SC250 again, there are choices.

It's all a matter of preference, of course, and there's no right and wrong in this, but the fact is that the 2 piece bridge takes the vibration from the strings to four points of attachment sunk into the body of the guitar instead of two, and the result sounds a little different.

Perhaps not "better" (that's truly subjective), but certainly not the same.

Whether that is important to a particular individual or not, it's there to hear. The nice thing is that with the AP now offering the SC250 again, there are choices.

Agree again. :redface: I will change my wording to "IMO, the two pice bridge sounds much better". YMMV, IMO ETC ETC. :D Others may like the one piece more, and thats fine with me. :rock:

Back