What to buy if only buying one

micgeo

I'm saving up for a PRS guitar and have been watching all the different demos on youtube. I only plan to buy one guitar.

I like all styles of music, but have a keener interest in rock from 60's (Beatles, Zeppelin, Hendrix), 70s (Pink Floyd) through modern day (The Black Keys, Jack White).

If you were only going to have one guitar, would it be the 513? If not, what would you suggest?

As a sidebar, I wonder how much difference the two tones and two volumes make on a single cut vs the one vol and tone on the other guitars. Is it to allow the guitarist to jump from bridge to neck without needing to adjust the tone/volume knobs? I would think that when bridge and neck pickups are active, the one tone could cover the range from the two tone knobs.

Thanks

You mention the 513. Obviously, you like it. It will be a great choice. However, since you want an all in one, try rocking the P24. It has the trem and you get the piezo for some acoustic stuff, say Rainsong, Yesterday, and still get the led out on some black dog, kashmir, and Hendrix's Redhouse, or clean up for some Wind crying Mary! You get the picture. Cannot get much better than that! Enjoy your pursuit and be sure to post your choice with pics!!!

Yup, I was going to say a Cu24 with a 5-way for its versatility, but I agree with Audie on the P24 with the piezo for the ultimate in versatility.

I'm saving up for a PRS guitar and have been watching all the different demos on youtube. I only plan to buy one guitar.

Boy, are you in the wrong place! :iamconfused:

The 513 is a good choice if you want humbuckers plus the ability to get those 2 and 4 Strat positions. And the P22/P24 is great if you want the acoustic capability as well. But if you just want solid humbucker sounds with the ability to get single-coils sounds (but not the in-betweens), I'd go 408 or DGT. The DGT is maybe a bit more vintage sounding, and it has a slightly different feel due to the large frets and heavier strings (not worse - just slightly different). But those are my two favorites at the moment - YMMV.

If I can have only one...I'd get the Custom 24, which is THE iconic PRS, for the sake of versatility. That, or the Brent Mason sig.

If I can have only one...I'd get the Custom 24, which is THE iconic PRS, for the sake of versatility.

That was my 1st, and supposed to be only. But it was so good it made me want more. I wasn't sure I would bond with it, but I had wanted one for a long time. Once I played it for a while I realized I should have gone 10 top, and a different color. If you really are aiming to get just one, make sure it covers as many of your wants as possible.

I would go for a "superstrat" kind of config like the Studio or the swampash Studio.3 pickups to cover all the types of sounds youre after instead of 2 like on the customs,DGT and 408s.Eventually you will realise i think that to have a stratsound a strat is actually the best guitar for that and a telesound sounds best with a tele.This "all in one" thinking can be a trap.Personally i really like the way PRS is going with the 408 or DGT pickup system,feels more like guitars with some options instead of trying to be an "all in one" guitar.

I'm gonna be the odd one out here and suggest the 408 or Paul's guitar.

Of course, you could also getcha a pair of S2's for that price!

513, Paul's, Brent Mason, DGT...in that order.

So, buy a 513 now.

In six months, order your Paul's...

You get the pattern. :)

I'd have to agree with a lot of the others. All of these models offer a lot of versatility.

Paul's guitar
DGT
HBII w/piezo

used McTrem or Ted McCarty Ltd is another good choice

USA Custom 24 with 5 way switch. (IMHO)

If you want an acoustic sound, buy an acoustic guitar as a second guitar. It comes with it's own built in amplifier and doesn't need electricity so it will work during a power outage or at your local open mike night at the local coffee house.

There's a reason the Custom 24 is the top selling model. It's the original "Strat Meets LP" design. I'd say the 513 is probably a little more versatile.

Based on the bands you cited, I'd stay away from a Singlecut. It'll be good for Led Zeppelin but not so much for Hendrix or Pink Floyd. Likewise, the Hollowbody models are great guitars -- I have one and it's awesome -- but tend to be a highly specialized sound. I wouldn't call them versatile at all.

There's a reason the Custom 24 is the top selling model. It's the original "Strat Meets LP" design. I'd say the 513 is probably a little more versatile.

Based on the bands you cited, I'd stay away from a Singlecut. It'll be good for Led Zeppelin but not so much for Hendrix or Pink Floyd. Likewise, the Hollowbody models are great guitars -- I have one and it's awesome -- but tend to be a highly specialized sound. I wouldn't call them versatile at all.

I agree with you and the others that go for the C24. That said, the P24 is exactly the same guitar as the C24 with the same pup selections, only the addition of the piezo. The OP has a lot of ground to cover if he will only choose one. If he is not concerned with addressing shade and light (Zep), and other acoustic sounds in the genres he mentioned, then the C24 would be the other best choice, in my opinion.

Get the 408. Or, if you like the feel of a Strat, get the Brent Mason sig. I'll never sell my Brent Mason. It covers anything/any style.

I'm looking to buy the Brent Mason sig myself. I have gone through a gas rollercoaster of sorts before deciding on this, considered almost every model mentioned in this thread I think.

MORE OR LESS the same pickups as in Paul's guitar (treble may have more windings or something like that?). Some difference in the electronic components (a resistor or something has been removed from the BM).

It also has a middle pickup, but thus not the possibility of having bridge and neck together (without mods anyway). That bridge/neck tone seems to be popular with alot of guys. I may go ahead and mod mine some time down the road (should be easy as the electronics are mounted on the pickguard. In any case, the BM should have really good single coil tone, and the humbuckers, being 408-types should be good as well.

The neck is some kind of satiny finish (something that soaks into the wood), which I think is GREAT, if it is anything like on my bass.

It's much cheaper than many of the other models, leaving you some spare change to get a real acoustic guitar on the side - that way, you can play unplugged as well (not tied to the piezo of the P22 or P24).

All that said, I have not played one myself yet (the curse of Denmark - no PRS dealers), and there are not that many demos on youtube.

Is it for live gigs, recording, both, or couch noodling? Are looks important? What neck sizes do you prefer?

Re. two tones and two Volumes: My les paul has a HUGE difference in tone between the two humbuckers, so it's nice to be able to dial in independently. Same with volume, especially for the middle position. I think it's very useful - wdhen the knobs are there anyway :)

I agree with you and the others that go for the C24. That said, the P24 is exactly the same guitar as the C24 with the same pup selections, only the addition of the piezo. The OP has a lot of ground to cover if he will only choose one. If he is not concerned with addressing shade and light (Zep), and other acoustic sounds in the genres he mentioned, then the C24 would be the other best choice, in my opinion.

I'm going to make myself very unpopular around here and say that I don't really think the piezo is worth the extra money and complexity. It sounds great, don't get me wrong, but it's still a piezo. In my opinion, you can get the same results with a Boss AC-3 pedal. It costs less, it works with any guitar you plug into it, and it doesn't require a battery in the guitar. Not to mention the fact that if you're using dual outputs, they come from the pedal so you don't have to have two cords sticking out of your axe.

I've got piezos on my acoustics and on my Hollowbody II. I recommend them on acoustics since you don't usually have magnetic pickups on an acoustic. On the HB2, I could take it or leave it.

Back