What Are Your Favorite Amps To Play?

I've been gigging my Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister18 for years!

An original tube went out the first month. Once I replaced all of them with some good stuff, it's been a trooper.
:cool:
I've been gigging my H&K Grandmeister since 2016- LOVE LOVE LOVE that amp- I get a ton of compliments on the tone (and look) all of the time.

I guess since it has been at nearly every gig I have played since I bought it I would have to say it is a favorite amp of mine to play. It is a Marsh The Springfield. It is a modified Fender Vibrolux Reverb circuit. It is 40 watts through two Ragin Kajun 10" speakers. I put tilt back legs on it and really love the sound of it. The clean tone of it really impressed me the first time I heard it. I was hooked. It is a great pedal platform and gets along with many OD pedals. It gets along so well with them that I have built quite the stock pile of OD pedals that sound great with it. :)

I do have another amp that could take the spot though if I ever start gigging again. I will definitely take it out and give it a go. I bought it when the shutdowns started. It took a while to get it due to that. The cabinet took almost a year to get. What is this amp? A Friedman Twin Sister. I have used the Dirty Shirley pedal with the Marsh for a good while and love the sound of it. The real amp has been just as impressive to me. I have to run it in a much different way when it comes to pedals. I really only need one OD with this amp and that is just to goose it for a little more when I want to. It actually works really well to use a clean boost like my Buxom Boost too. I even got it to break up more and raise in volume very nicely with a compressor pedal. That one kind of surprised me. But, wow, it really worked well and sounded great.

231209_wohnzimmerproduktions-jpg.920067

My (currently) prefered amp is this tiny black box on the carpet.
4 channel (1 clean, 3 OD) Class D technology with one Nanotube, 100 Watts. It was invented by Thomas Blug, former sound designer of Hughes & Kettner for more than two decades.
My cabinet is custom made by Dietmar Kammler. It offers the home for an old, used and heavy 200 Watts 10" EVM-10M and a contemporary, new and light 12" 250 Watts Celestion Neo 250 Copperback. Could be 450 Watts total with 16 Ohms load. I like the very easy layout but versatile tonal output of the Amp 1 by BluGuitar. The general design approaches of Kammler cabs are monolite connections of speakers and the cabinets. The whole cabinet is about to resonate likewise a singing bowl and not the speaker only pushing air. Additionally the reaction is very quick. And overall a kind of 3D sound and not a beamy one.
The speakers have been selected by myself, because they are powerful but not colouring the amp tone, they may have no break up (with this amp).

Last edited:
My main amp is a Bad Cat Bobcat 20R. Amp #2 is a Bad Cat Cub 15R head and Bad Cat 212 cabinet that I use on the bigger stages and if I need to run in stereo.
I have others, but these two have been my main go-to amps for years.

I'm considering getting a new amp again. I was going to buy a new guitar this year, but nothing much gives me "aesthetic arrest" in the new PRS catalogue. I am not complaining; zero anger. I don't need a new axe. But I'm craving a higher gain amp again. I was hoping to hunt down new Boogie Mark VII, but I lost hope of seeing new Boogies in the UK. I used to have good fun with Orange Rockerverb MKIII50H, but I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for this time. I want a high-gain amp; I looked at Engl last night, considering Diezel Herbert, but the PA section scares me. I may look into Boogie Mark V, too. @Bogner - your posts come with a great help, so keep it coming

I'm considering getting a new amp again. I was going to buy a new guitar this year, but nothing much gives me "aesthetic arrest" in the new PRS catalogue. I am not complaining; zero anger. I don't need a new axe. But I'm craving a higher gain amp again. I was hoping to hunt down new Boogie Mark VII, but I lost hope of seeing new Boogies in the UK. I used to have good fun with Orange Rockerverb MKIII50H, but I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for this time. I want a high-gain amp; I looked at Engl last night, considering Diezel Herbert, but the PA section scares me. I may look into Boogie Mark V, too. @Bogner - your posts come with a great help, so keep it coming
Thank You Kind Sir! I Will Shed A Bit Of Light On What You Mentioned Above And maybe It Can Help. The Mark 7 Is Nice And Worthy Of Consideration For Sure! The Mark 5 Is A Nice Amp And Gets Dogged By A Lot Of People But I Like It. Take What It Gives You Wok With What It Offers An I Can't Imagine You Nt Liking The 5 or The 7. Some of The ENGL Stuff I Really Like. The ENGL SE That Was Reintroduced Seems Like A Nice One. I Had The Original And Enjoyed It A Lot. The Savage Is Nice As Is The Blackmore And The Artist. I Am Not Sure What ENGL You Were Looking At But I Will Shed As Much Light As I Can Once I Know Which One(s) You Were Thinking About. The Diezel Herbert Has A MASSIVE Powersection But I Would Not Be Alarmed At All By That. It Is The Highest Wattage Amp I Own And Also The Best Sounding Low Volume Amplifier I Own Or Have Ever Played. The Cleans Are Absolutely Wonderful And Rival Any And All Clean Amplifiers I Have Ever Played. The Loop Is Great And The Crunch/Rock Tones Are Absolutely Wonderful As Well. There Is Nothing That Amp Can Not Do And Do Well. The +/- Switch Is Great To Shift Things. If You Can Ever Open It Up At Volume It Is Something To Behold But For Quality Tones At Bedroom Volume I Have Not Found Anything By Any Other Brand To Beat It. The Herbert Is More Forgiving Than The VH4 And Hagan. The VH4 Is The Tightest And Quickest In Response. The Herbert Can Get Tight Or Have Some Sag/Squish To It Depending On How You Dial It In. The Saturation Of The Gain On The Herbert Can Vary As Well But It Isn't A Dry Gain Like Some Say The VH4 Somewhat Is. I Hope See If This Helps And Doesn't Confuse. :) Ask Away And I Will Do My Best To Help. :)

Thank You Kind Sir! I Will Shed A Bit Of Light On What You Mentioned Above And maybe It Can Help. The Mark 7 Is Nice And Worthy Of Consideration For Sure! The Mark 5 Is A Nice Amp And Gets Dogged By A Lot Of People But I Like It. Take What It Gives You Wok With What It Offers An I Can't Imagine You Nt Liking The 5 or The 7. Some of The ENGL Stuff I Really Like. The ENGL SE That Was Reintroduced Seems Like A Nice One. I Had The Original And Enjoyed It A Lot. The Savage Is Nice As Is The Blackmore And The Artist. I Am Not Sure What ENGL You Were Looking At But I Will Shed As Much Light As I Can Once I Know Which One(s) You Were Thinking About. The Diezel Herbert Has A MASSIVE Powersection But I Would Not Be Alarmed At All By That. It Is The Highest Wattage Amp I Own And Also The Best Sounding Low Volume Amplifier I Own Or Have Ever Played. The Cleans Are Absolutely Wonderful And Rival Any And All Clean Amplifiers I Have Ever Played. The Loop Is Great And The Crunch/Rock Tones Are Absolutely Wonderful As Well. There Is Nothing That Amp Can Not Do And Do Well. The +/- Switch Is Great To Shift Things. If You Can Ever Open It Up At Volume It Is Something To Behold But For Quality Tones At Bedroom Volume I Have Not Found Anything By Any Other Brand To Beat It. The Herbert Is More Forgiving Than The VH4 And Hagan. The VH4 Is The Tightest And Quickest In Response. The Herbert Can Get Tight Or Have Some Sag/Squish To It Depending On How You Dial It In. The Saturation Of The Gain On The Herbert Can Vary As Well But It Isn't A Dry Gain Like Some Say The VH4 Somewhat Is. I Hope See If This Helps And Doesn't Confuse. :) Ask Away And I Will Do My Best To Help. :)
Thanks mate. It's between Herbert and Mark V, with more love towards Mark. I don't have much room for a large head and dedicated closed-back cab; the Mark compact factor speaks to me more. Besides that, Herbert takes 6 PA tubes, which is crazy. Although, if they would do 50w Herbert, I would be all over this. I used to have a Synergy system with the Herbert module. If the actual amp sounds as good as the Blue channel, I would be right home with medium gains. I still like more bark and grain on high gain, which I believe could dial in with Mark V.

Thanks mate. It's between Herbert and Mark V, with more love towards Mark. I don't have much room for a large head and dedicated closed-back cab; the Mark compact factor speaks to me more. Besides that, Herbert takes 6 PA tubes, which is crazy. Although, if they would do 50w Herbert, I would be all over this. I used to have a Synergy system with the Herbert module. If the actual amp sounds as good as the Blue channel, I would be right home with medium gains. I still like more bark and grain on high gain, which I believe could dial in with Mark V.
I Hear You On The Amount Of Tubes But The Good News Is A New Amp Comes With New Tubes. ;) Ha! It Is A Big Amp And Heavy, Etc But A Fine Amp Nonetheless. The Compact Factor Of The Mark Amps Is A Nice Thing For Sure. You Know Me, I Like Them All For Some Reason Or Another! Overall Between The 5 And 7 I Like The 7 A Bit More But The 5 Is Great! Have You Considered A Diezel Einstein? Great Amp And Available In 50 Watts. It Would Be Right Up Your Alley For The Medium Gains IMO.

I Hear You On The Amount Of Tubes But The Good News Is A New Amp Comes With New Tubes. ;) Ha! It Is A Big Amp And Heavy, Etc But A Fine Amp Nonetheless. The Compact Factor Of The Mark Amps Is A Nice Thing For Sure. You Know Me, I Like Them All For Some Reason Or Another! Overall Between The 5 And 7 I Like The 7 A Bit More But The 5 Is Great! Have You Considered A Diezel Einstein? Great Amp And Available In 50 Watts. It Would Be Right Up Your Alley For The Medium Gains IMO.
There's no chance I can get a new Mark VII here in the UK, while I can get the V on the used market easily. There has been nothing new Mesa/Boogie here for years. I will keep brainstorming this for the next few months, but Mark V has more sense. I would have to get the Diezel directly from Germany, as they are not available here, new or used. I feel conflicted as I consider myself a Boogie guy since the 2000s when I used to have a Rev. D Dual Recto black panel. If Herbert's mid-cut worked the other way, I would 100% get it

There's no chance I can get a new Mark VII here in the UK, while I can get the V on the used market easily.
I liked my Mark V a lot. It's a great amp. I found a spare, nearly unused foot switch for the Mark V just the other day in my storage room. If you get one, you can have it, just let me know. It's in perfect shape, yours for the asking.

I liked my Mark V a lot. It's a great amp. I found a spare, nearly unused foot switch for the Mark V just the other day in my storage room. If you get one, you can have it, just let me know. It's in perfect shape, yours for the asking.
Thx man. I was actually thinking of sending you something, too ;)

Back