What Are Your Favorite Amps To Play?

I Would Like A Bunch (More) As Well And Like You I Could Be Content With With Just One Or Five. ;)
I think 5 would be a great number but 4 would as well. I could be extremely happy with.
1-PRS Archon
2-Bogner 101B
3- Louis Electric Cobra
(I would be ecstatically happy with just those three!)
4- Some other Louis Electric amp made for his version of some nice Fender cleans
5- Some Mesa Boogie Mark amp that I haven’t tried yet. Probably the JP model, but maybe one of the old IIC+ or 3 models. Maybe even a IV. I just know the V was a “close but no cigar” amp for me. However, I didn’t swap tubes for 3 years to see if that was enough to take it over the edge. I great a great friend deal on it sold it before the market went nuts. If I could never replace any of my Mesa amps for what I sold them for so that makes a second chance even less appealing. I’d rather try different Marks.

I think 5 would be a great number but 4 would as well. I could be extremely happy with.
1-PRS Archon
2-Bogner 101B
3- Louis Electric Cobra
(I would be ecstatically happy with just those three!)
4- Some other Louis Electric amp made for his version of some nice Fender cleans
5- Some Mesa Boogie Mark amp that I haven’t tried yet. Probably the JP model, but maybe one of the old IIC+ or 3 models. Maybe even a IV. I just know the V was a “close but no cigar” amp for me. However, I didn’t swap tubes for 3 years to see if that was enough to take it over the edge. I great a great friend deal on it sold it before the market went nuts. If I could never replace any of my Mesa amps for what I sold them for so that makes a second chance even less appealing. I’d rather try different Marks.
Solid Choices...Just Get The Mark 7 For Your 5th Choice.

I remember when Bruce Zinky was at Fender. Those CS amps were awesome. COngrats on that Tone-Master. I always liked those. While not a Zinky design, I really like the Fender Super Sonic 22 also. I can get that nice, fat singing neck pick-up sound on that amp VERY easily without getting that fizz and fuzz that something like an ENGL prprovides.

Aw man, Zinky 90s era Fenders are my teenage dream. The Tone Master and the Vibro King.

Maybe someday

Today was Use The Switcher And Play Each Amp Through All The Cabs Day.

So I did that. Then I realized I was dicking around with amps and cabs because they're there, not because I particularly need them to be there.

Which, in turn, made me realize I'm much better at piano, and I haven't got all that much time left to waste on anything I'm not all that good at. I started thinking about all the time and money I've wasted on guitar junk, and I got nauseous.

So I decided I needed some fresh air, and got changed to head out for a brisk walk, but as I bent down to tie my shoes, I somehow sent my back into spasm.

Fact is, I'm unable to stand up to get out of this chair at the moment.

I'm going to be in real trouble if I have to go to the john. Wish me luck! :eek:

So I did that. Then I realized I was dicking around with amps and cabs because they're there, not because I particularly need them to be there.

Which, in turn, made me realize I'm much better at piano, and I haven't got all that much time left to waste on anything I'm not all that good at. I started thinking about all the time and money I've wasted on guitar junk, and I got nauseous.

So I decided I needed some fresh air, and got changed to head out for a brisk walk, but as I bent down to tie my shoes, I somehow sent my back into spasm.

I'm going to be in real trouble if I have to go to the john. Wish me luck! :eek:
It's hell to get old

I Am Sorry To Hear This. :(

The Moral Of The Story Is You Should Have Not Messed Around And Played All Your Amps. ;)

Feel Better Soon My Dear Friend. :)

Well that sucks.
Good luck.

Dang, Les - that's no good at all. There was a great comic in the newspaper couple of days ago that I tried to paste here, but a popup in our forum says it won't upload. So all I can do to help boost your spirits is to explain it. I know - sucks - but nothing else I can do. It's from Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Pastis:

First frame: What it takes for you to get injured at various phases of your life ...
Second frame: Age 20 - fellow with cast on arm says "I fell off the roof and got hit by a car."
Third frame: Age 40 - same fellow now older with cast on same arm says "I slipped on the grass and fell."
Fourth frame: Age 60 - same fellow now even older with cast on same arm says " I opened the peanut butter jar wrong."
Last frame: The rat says, "Life is cruel." The pig answers, "I fear 80."

I have but one amp to play (I know, I'm such a slacker on this forum) and it's OK. A Blackstar Silverline 50 combo which is really easy to dial in a variety of tones by simply turning the tube emulation knob: EL84, 6V6, EL34, KT66, 6L6, and KT88.

A favorite from the past was the Peavy Classic 50 head and 4x10 cab, to which I added a Mesa Boogie V-Twin Preamp. Ran the signal into the MB and straight out to the input of the Peavy. Tone for days! Shimmering cleans to edge of breakup and into super saturated crunch with no fuzziness. But, just to big and cumbersome to lug around, so she went.

Replaced with an Egnater Rebel 30 head and 1x12 cab. Pretty sweet, and much easier to lug around. But, she died couple years back.

What would I really love to have? A Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50 head and cab. For my tastes, I could find every tone I wanted in that amp.

If I thought I needed one more, it'd be something from Dr Z - either the Nova, Z-Wreck Jr, or maybe the Joe Walsh Signature.

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I crawled over to one of the bookshelves in my den and found a folder with several back-stretching exercises a physical therapist gave me. So I laid myself out on the floor and did 'em.

Thank goodness, I can now straighten up and walk. A bit sore, but at least decent!

What would I really love to have? A Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50 head and cab. For my tastes, I could find every tone I wanted in that amp.

I've probably mentioned this in the recent past, if so, forgive me.

After I got the Fillmore, my son visited, and as he likes to do, played through all my amps over the weekend he was in town. Though he tours with a Mesa Lone Star, He proclaimed the Fillmore to be the best sounding amp I own, over the Lone Star, DG30 and HXDA.

Surprisingly it wasn't because of the overdrive modes, though he liked those a lot; he absolutely flipped over the clean tones!

I could easily live with just the Fillmore, though that's true of all four amps.

A couple of my Boogies have a magic clean tone as well as drive - and considering I've also got big old Fenders and Two Rocks to compare them with, these really are "zero-compromise" cleans. Mesa has always known how to do this well...... with only a few small blips.

I just know the V was a “close but no cigar” amp for me.

The MkV was one of the blips IMO. It's a decent enough amp, but as Théoden would probably have it, when it goes to the halls of its forefathers:

"In their mighty company I shall now be ashamed."

Back