What Are Your Favorite Amps To Play?

What A Treasure Of A Woman She Is!
You're a lucky man.

Here's how my wife rolls:

One of the years I was hired to create music for an auto manufacturer's International Auto Show exhibits for their entire lineup of cars I had a pretty complicated challenge, not just music for the videos, but surround music for the walkways from car to car. Though each car's music and video were different, the tracks all had to be in the same style and complimentary keys so that as people left the surround sound area and transitioned to see each car model's video it would be a seamless experience.

Turned out pretty cool, though.

As it happens, the Friday I finished the project and received client approval, my wife and I were headed downtown to meet friends for dinner. I wanted to hear how the work sounded in the car, so I popped in a CD of the mixes. About a minute passed with the music going.

Suddenly my wife turned to me and said, "What are we listening to? This is the worst music I have ever heard!"

I said, "This is the music that paid our son's college tuition, room and board for the year."

I didn't look away from the road, just kept driving.

After about 30 seconds I glanced over and could see the wheels turning in my wife's head, but she couldn't find a single thing to say. The rest of the ride downtown was in complete, golden silence.

If I talk about any of my gear, my wife rolls her eyes and says, "Fine, but next we're going to talk about lipstick." It's a bit of a conversation-killer.

"Well, maybe you should, you know, look for a different wife."

"What on earth for? I already have someone who doesn't like my music. I don't need two people who don't like my music."

"I don't like your music, either."

"That's all right, I don't plan on marrying you, I'm a heterosexual, you see. But now I'm not so sure about you. Not that there's anything wrong with it. It just seems that everyone I marry winds up not liking my music."

"You've only ever married one person."

"And now you know why! One person who doesn't like my music is quite enough, thank you very much! I have no intention of inflicting even more pain upon myself under any circumstances."

Last edited:
One of the nicest sounding T-R models I enjoyed owning!

I'm currently running a Plumes pedal into the clean side, which is quite different from how I've run it in the past. Still running it into a 1x12 cab (Celestion Black Shadow). Then I dial the Plumes and amp gain on the fly for more "whatever" :)

For the longest time, I ran the clean side by itself, and switched into the lead channel for dirty rhythm (with very dialled-back gains on both sides); then I usually stepped everything up with a Cornish SS-3 for lead sounds.

It's different with the Plumes into the clean side, but just as viable for what I do. I tried a couple of alternatives to the Plumes - first an Ibanez Super Tube, then a Nobels ODR-1. Variations on the Tube Screamer theme seem to work best (for me) in this context: nonetheless, I'll probably try it with my Cornish CC-1 next.

But what a great amp...... it's certainly much more demanding than the TR Akoya, but incredibly rewarding when you get to grips with it properly.

But what a great amp...... it's certainly much more demanding than the TR Akoya, but incredibly rewarding when you get to grips with it properly.
Yes, it's more demanding than my T-R Onyx versions were, too.

My PRS DG30 is also that kind of amp - you have to spend a little time with it and learn it, but it gives up the goods and offers very similar rewards. Not similar sound, of course, but similar gratification once you get it dialed in. I like an amp that I have to spend a little time with, because then I can do more with it.

I am spoiled these days, and amps are all different moods. What gets played is dependent on what is called for, and (for higher volume) what I can get away with.

For noodling, which I do the most of, it’s either the 60s Supro 16T with the 8” speaker (all kinds of character and flavor), or downstairs it is one of those little AC4 jobbies.

When I have the time and inclination, it’s the Chieftain. If really dug in, the 77 JTM paired with the 61 Tremolux in a sort of clean/dirty wet/dry pairing. Or for the hot rodded thing a Roccaforte 40 custom.

Some of these amps are not so fond of the McCarty yet. The Rocca especially. Or I just haven't found the right settings to keep it from being too spikey.

Today has been a "clean platform mixed bag" day, following on from last week's Plumes/Custom Reverb Sig/FTT Ambi-Space:

a. Groove Tubes Dual 75 (6L6 side, and fronted with a Lehle Sunday Driver to get the level up)
b. Fender Tone Master (no, emphatically not one of those curiously named new digital things)
c. Hiwatt DR103

The Plumes, Ambi-Space, and (where applicable) the Sunday Driver worked well with all of them.

I am spoiled these days, and amps are all different moods. What gets played is dependent on what is called for, and (for higher volume) what I can get away with.

For noodling, which I do the most of, it’s either the 60s Supro 16T with the 8” speaker (all kinds of character and flavor), or downstairs it is one of those little AC4 jobbies.

When I have the time and inclination, it’s the Chieftain. If really dug in, the 77 JTM paired with the 61 Tremolux in a sort of clean/dirty wet/dry pairing. Or for the hot rodded thing a Roccaforte 40 custom.

Some of these amps are not so fond of the McCarty yet. The Rocca especially. Or I just haven't found the right settings to keep it from being too spikey.
My Roccaforte loved my McCartys. It probably just needs dialing in.
+1

Did they have P90s? I believe that’s part of the issue. My Marshall loves all my P90 guitars and the Rocca does most of them. Just not the McSoapie. The OD is too brash, even after a bunch of height and pole experimentation. I plan on yanking the PUs in the Soapie this week and giving it a little update to the Soaps I happen to enjoy (and some aesthetics) while I’m at it. Will report back.

Today Is Fryette Deliverance 120 MkII Day.
deliverance-banjo-1440x745.jpg

Back