What are some of the non-PRS guitars in your collection?

Some may scoff, but my favorite guitar (non-PRS, at least) is my 1989 Epiphone white Les Paul Custom. Got it when I was 16, for $200 used in mint condition. Nothing else I've ever had plays or sounds quite like it. Sure, there's the sentimental aspect too, but there's something just so *right* about it

I have quite a few, but here a couple of different selections that are perhaps a little different :

2016 Axis (and I cat I wish was still alive):
lwBs6nq.jpg

1991 Strat Plus
sreswge.jpg

1986 Ibanez AH 20. I love the AH pickups
gk2INKl.jpg

Godin Redline 2008 (maybe). I have a green one and a natural finish as well).
lwBs6nq.jpg

Mid 80s Cherry Sunburst Les Paul Standard (since switched out to 50s wiring and playing with different pickups)

Fender EJ two tone Stratocaster

and a mid 90s Taylor acoustic.

Electrics
Gretsch Black Falcon
1999 Fender MIA Telecaster Nashville B bender
Fender MIM Jazzmaster
1983 Gibson 335 dot

Acoustics
1973 BC Rich b28
1973 Gibson J45 deluxe
1962 Martin Nylon folk guitar
1999 Taylor 514 CE

Only have one PRS... 277 SE Baritone.
I have a SAS on order.

The most interesting/unusual ones are probably:

1957 Gibson ES-225 with added pups (original now in the bridge, Duncan Antiquity in the middle and Lollar at the neck).

1979 Yamaha SA 2000 (w/WCR Darkburst pups. The first guitar I ever bought). I've worn divots in the ebony fretboard.

2020 VM Guitars (Wenge body, Ipé neck, Bog Oak fretboard, Bare Knuckle Mule pups. One-off by a Ukrainian Luthier whose is now a soldier and hopefully still alive).

1997 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III

1960 Supro Dual Tone (Re-fretted and PLEK'd. Weird 3-way wiring [bridge, bridge with high pass filter, neck] changed to a 4-way switch, keeps original 3 options and adds neck/bridge). Plays and sounds AWESOME.

2008 DBZ USA Imperial (Creamery 'Wide-Range' pups). Though short-lived, the DBZ USA custom shop guitars were crazy good. Super deep carved top and back, body is only ~1/2" thick at the edges!

1977 Fender Starcaster (Mint condition).

2020 Motander Berto Blast (Sand Diego luthier, Made from salvaged lumber from city trees: Poplar body, cherry neck with Australian She-Oak fretboard with frit-glass dots. Gemini pickups [P90 and Suprocaster], color scheme taken from Mountain Dew Baja Blast. This guy is talented.

ES-225g.jpg

SA20004.jpg

20220102-180736.jpg

HRF3c.jpg

Supro-Dual-Tone60.jpg

DBZ-USA-Imperial1.jpg

20200614-225523-resized.jpg

20230222-084249.jpg

My only non-PRS guitars are Yamahas and Seagulls, and my old Terser bass. Nothing to write home about on the RGX, but it still plays and it's really worth nothing so I use it to experiment with various tunings and slide stuff. The acoustics are the ones I bought because I trust the build quality and the actions are great. Plus they sound better (my opinion of course) than the comparably priced Martins and Gibsons I've tried. The bass hardly ever gets played, just bought it used (like "cheap") to augment my skills in a different way, should play it more really.
Don't have a picture of just them for some reason...

I've always been curious about that Yamaha model, it seems like a really well thought out concept. What's your take on it?
Agreed, I was looking at PRS semis but this had been sitting at my local GC for near on a year, I had played it a few times and liked it but they were asking too much, hence it sitting there.
I guess I caught the manager on the right day, talked to him about it, showed him tag that said it had been there a year and made a fair offer and he accepted, which pi$$ed of the salesman who 10 minutes earlier had said no offers...lol

Anyway, I really like the mini buckers in it, they fit in well with the semi design and it definitely has a chimey ring to it, not a twang type but Ted Nugent type chimey rock sound from his earlier days.
The neck is a little fat for my liking but overall, yes its very playable and light and comfortable.

And now I look at it, it would also qualify for the show us your singlecut thread!

Back