Upgrade Project: Silver Sky Tuner Swap

has anyone ever tired hip shot locking tuners?thats all ive used on other guitars?about the locking screw i see they have a slot in them so i take it there not hand tighen you have to use screw driver or a peeny to lock down the string?never used them thats why i ask.

I use hipshot tuners quite a bit. The mounting plates look a little out of place to me on the back of a PRS headstock due to the shape. I ended up not using the plates

oh really i didnt think you could they dont look like they line up straight,looks like there curve.i know you can screw them in i just dont want to make screw holes i guess

oh really i didnt think you could they dont look like they line up straight,looks like there curve.i know you can screw them in i just dont want to make screw holes i guess
Each side had 2 plates, not one long plate per side.

yeah i know i just didnt think with a curve it looks like it has on headstock they would work but thanks

Uh… CP, did you go and get a Silver Sky JUST LIKE MINE???? I didn’t see an NGD thread…. So you…
1- bought a guitar without telling me, and
2- bought one just like mine. Are you copying me?

I don’t know which one of those things bothers me most. :p:p

On a slightly more serious note, congrats on the new guitar. hope you dig it.

And… did you actually say above “I made a conscious decision…” On that note, would there be a thread about it, had it turned out to be an unconscious decision? Or what if it was a SUBconscious one? And, of the three, which is closer to the “drunk posting” thing I hear so much about?

Uh… CP, did you go and get a Silver Sky JUST LIKE MINE???? I didn’t see an NGD thread…. So you…

And… did you actually say above “I made a conscious decision…” On that note, would there be a thread about it, had it turned out to be an unconscious decision? Or what if it was a SUBconscious one? And, of the three, which is closer to the “drunk posting” thing I hear so much about?
DTR,

My SS was posted in the "Official Silver Sky Thread" some weeks ago. It's the Frost w/ Maple Neck model. On a separate note, I preferred this type compared to the rosewood fretboard because, to my ears, the guitar had better definition and clarity. I also preferred the frost to any of the other finish colors. If this was "copying" you, consider that there are many others IRL who own this model guitar. I really don't think I was copying them. But, we each tend to gravitate towards what we like. Maybe we aren't that different from each other, at least in what we like...?

That being said, thanks for the congrats. Regards conscious decision, yup, an unconscious one would be like an involuntary reaction, like pulling the trigger on a gear purchase while intoxicated. (I prefer to remain sober while online; it prevents getting into extra debt.)

Regards conscious, unconscious and subconscious, best to ask Les; he knows more about the subconscious and unconscious dreaming. Feel free to ask any questions regards making informed, good, conscious decisions anytime.

DTR,
Here are my images posted in the "Official Silver Sky Thread," prior to the tuner swap. (Will soon update these images with the correct tuners...)

HfoFV2h.jpg

UKsj6Pa.jpg

Awesome, thanks. The SS is currently taking a back seat to an acoustic project for a soon-to-be open-mic some weeks away.

Regards the SS, I've put together several clean Fractal preset platforms on which other effects can be added. The one dedicated John Mayer preset is pretty nifty already, and highlights a QTron filter that imitates JM's QTron "horn tone" on several of his songs.

The tone is pretty rad, so here's a YT clip of how it sounds, based off of the guy who discovered it within the Fractal ecosystem, and built it from the ground up. Hope you like it...

Last edited:
0DPF4HW.jpg
sj3egHA.jpg

I went for kluson locking tuners in my new SS SE. I’m in love with the Kluson Locking revolution series. This one is nickel finished. I can’t stand plastic tuner buttons as they feel so cheap. All this and saved $50 off prices of the SS locking tuners. Really pleased with the results

Last edited:
0DPF4HW.jpg
sj3egHA.jpg

I went for kluson locking tuners in my new SS SE. I’m in love with the Kluson Locking revolution series. This one is nickel finished. I can’t stand plastic tuner buttons as they feel so cheap. All this and saved $50 off prices of the SS locking tuners. Really pleased with the results
Looks good! Half the journey is trying to locate comparable tuners that will fit without any modification (direct drop-in replacements). PRS customer service suggested the PRS Vintage-Style Locking Tuners (keystone tuner heads). I tried checking out Kluson but couldn't find any direct info stating drop-in compatibility. Am wondering if Gotoh also has something similar (their info doesn't state compatibility, either).

They are all compatible. Kluson revolution locking (non collared) series will replace the vintage style tuners PRS uses today. I’ve used it for projects on Zach Myers SE, Silver Sky, and the S2 594 line (which is same as core specs in terms of measurements). I have no doubt it would work on Paul’s Guitars. Gotoh carries similar locking tuners with thumb wheels (sd90) . And I believe gotoh also create some that look like regular tuners but lock…my experience with the latter is that they are too stiff and the ratio is too low for my liking. Plus they come with nasty green colored plastic buttons

They are all compatible. Kluson revolution locking (non collared) series will replace the vintage style tuners PRS uses today. I’ve used it for projects on Zach Myers SE, Silver Sky, and the S2 594 line (which is same as core specs in terms of measurements). I have no doubt it would work on Paul’s Guitars. Gotoh carries similar locking tuners with thumb wheels (sd90) . And I believe gotoh also create some that look like regular tuners but lock…my experience with the latter is that they are too stiff and the ratio is too low for my liking. Plus they come with nasty green colored plastic buttons
Those are the tuners that came on my DZ Strettavita and my first exposure to them. They are fantastic! If I'd known about them all my mods would have had those.

Not that I have any problems with the Phase 3's....

Nice! Had I not already purchased the PRS Vintage-Style Locking Tuners (plastic keystone buttons), I would have opted for the nickel non-collared Kluson Revolution Locking Series that @Broseph mentioned. (These were roughly comparable in price to the PRS, but it would be frivolous spending money on an extra set of tuners now...)

Back