Upgrade Project: Silver Sky Tuner Swap

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
After some deliberation, I made a conscious decision to swap my existing core Silver Sky tuners with PRS Vintage-Style Locking Tuners. The reason for the swap was that the round gray SS tuner buttons were not esthetically pleasing and looked a tad cheap.

That being said, the PRS Vintage-Style Locking Tuners are keystone-style, the same as other PRS Vintage-Style tuners that PRS utilizes for their older, and more recent McCarty, and SE ZM and Bernie models.

Just a PSA to any who may consider performing this swap, both the PRS Vintage-Style Locking & PRS Vintage-Style Non-Locking Tuners are direct replacements for both the Silver Sky core and SE models. No grommet replacement is required; these tuners are direct replacements which cover the same footprint that the core and SE Silver Sky current tuners have.

Simply remove the existing strings, remove the tuner backplate screws, remove the tuners one-by-one, replace with the new tuners, partially reattach with the supplied screws, be sure the tuners are aligned correctly, and secure the screws to the back headstock of the guitar, and re-string the guitar with the same gauge strings (lighter gauge will likely require a trem claw reset, set-up, and intonation).

My guitar tech friend and I will take on this task this weekend. Pics to follow.

Last edited:
Good intel. Means phase 3 tuners, kluson locking g mount, and others will be direct swaps as well. Although I suggest sticking with the same vintage footprint to ensure you don’t see the old tuner’s footprint

After some deliberation, I made a conscious decision to swap my existing core Silver Sky tuners with PRS Vintage-Style Locking Tuners. The reason for the swap was that the round gray SS tuner buttons were not esthetically pleasing and looked a tad cheap.

That being said, the PRS Vintage-Style Locking Tuners are keystone-style, the same as other PRS Vintage-Style tuners that PRS utilizes for their older, and more recent McCarty, and SE ZM and Bernie models.

Just a PSA to any who may consider performing this swap, both the PRS Vintage-Style Locking & PRS Vintage-Style Non-Locking Tuners are direct replacements for both the Silver Sky core and SE models. No grommet replacement is required; these tuners are direct replacements which cover the same footprint that the core and SE Silver Sky current tuners have.

Simply remove the existing strings, remove the tuner backplate screws, remove the tuners one-by-one, replace with the new tuners, partially reattach with the supplied screws, be sure the tuners are aligned correctly, and secure the screws to the back headstock of the guitar, and re-string the guitar with the same gauge strings (lighter gauge will likely require a trem claw reset, set-up, and intonation).

My guitar tech friend and I will take on this task this weekend. Pics to follow.
Good move. That was one of the many things i swapped out when i did an overhaul to my Silver Sky's last year. However, the bushings on the SE stock tuners are smaller (vintage style) than on the PRS Vintage Phase3 Locking Tuners. I just recently swapped mine out and I had to make the holes a slight bit larger. I could have left the stock bushings. But tbh, I dislike how small the bushings look in comparison to the CORE Phase 3 bushings.

This is totally accurate, and I stupidly pressed out all the SE SS grommets to put in the new ones. The SE SS grommets are much smaller in outer dimension and the Phase 3 or vintage grommets will not fit in the headstock.

However after putting the original grommets back in the tuner posts fit perfect! I'm going to make a post about that soon.

Good intel. Means phase 3 tuners, kluson locking g mount, and others will be direct swaps as well. Although I suggest sticking with the same vintage footprint to ensure you don’t see the old tuner’s footprint.
Correct. Core Silver Sky can accept PRS Vintage-Style or Phase III tuners. The Phase IIIs, though, will not cover the original footprint of the old tuners. My replacement tuners arrived yesterday morning. Swap project occurs this weekend.

Good move. That was one of the many things i swapped out when i did an overhaul to my Silver Sky's last year. However, the bushings on the SE stock tuners are smaller (vintage style) than on the PRS Vintage Phase3 Locking Tuners. I just recently swapped mine out and I had to make the holes a slight bit larger. I could have left the stock bushings. But tbh, I dislike how small the bushings look in comparison to the CORE Phase 3 bushings.

This is totally accurate, and I stupidly pressed out all the SE SS grommets to put in the new ones. The SE SS grommets are much smaller in outer dimension and the Phase 3 or vintage grommets will not fit in the headstock.

However after putting the original grommets back in the tuner posts fit perfect! I'm going to make a post about that soon.
Regards SS SE models, I'd need to verify if replacement grommets are required. Although my original question involved direct drop-in/no modification tuners, PRS Customer Service referred me to their PTC. "Ryan" said that no modifications were required for SS Core, meaning that pulling/replacing the old grommets was unnecessary. Regards the SS SE, that I'd need to ask PTC again. I don't wish to spread bad info which might incur people's ire if they encountered an extra step in replacing their SE tuners.

EDIT: Ryan at PTC tells me that both the core and SE Silver Sky accept both the PRS Vintage-Style Locking/Non-Locking and Phase III Locking/Non-Locking tuners with no modification required.

The "catch" is that the replacement tuners on core models use thicker grommet collars (inner diameter is the same, outer diameter is greater), and SE SS use thinner groomer collars (inner diameter the same, outer diameter is thinner than core model grommets).

Because both PRS Vintage-Style and Phase III tuners use the same inner grommet diameter on core and SE Silver Sky models, these tuners are considered direct drop-in replacements that do not require grommet replacement.

If, by some mistake, you remove the old grommets on your SE SS, and replace your tuners, you'll need to widen the peg holes to accept the new tuner's grommets (OR, just return the SE grommets to their original place). Either way, PRS Vintage-Style and Phase IIIs are designed to retro-fit both core and SE model SS with NO modification.

Last edited:
Regards SS SE models, I'd need to verify if replacement grommets are required. Although my original question involved direct drop-in/no modification tuners, PRS Customer Service referred me to their PTC. "Ryan" said that no modifications were required for SS Core, meaning that pulling/replacing the old grommets was unnecessary. Regards the SS SE, that I'd need to ask PTC again. I don't wish to spread bad info which might incur people's ire if they encountered an extra step in replacing their SE tuners.

EDIT: Ryan at PTC tells me that both the core and SE Silver Sky accept both the PRS Vintage-Style Locking/Non-Locking and Phase III Locking/Non-Locking tuners with no modification required.

The "catch" is that the replacement tuners on core models use thicker grommet collars (inner diameter is the same, outer diameter is greater), and SE SS use thinner groomer collars (inner diameter the same, outer diameter is thinner than core model grommets).

Because both PRS Vintage-Style and Phase III tuners use the same inner grommet diameter on core and SE Silver Sky models, these tuners are considered direct drop-in replacements that do not require grommet replacement.

If, by some mistake, you remove the old grommets on your SE SS, and replace your tuners, you'll need to widen the peg holes to accept the new tuner's grommets (OR, just return the SE grommets to their original place). Either way, PRS Vintage-Style and Phase IIIs are designed to retro-fit both core and SE model SS with NO modification.
Yep, that's what I did on the SE SS. Thanks for mentioning the PTC response!!

Here's the final results. Sorry if I forgot to take pics of the project in progress. Have not plugged in the guitar since the upgrade and will do so soon. Was able to keep the same strings instead of replacing them. Swap was easy, but required an extra set of hands to insure not losing any parts during the process...

ePtcF30.jpg

Much better. And I’m not shy to use kluson locking ones. If/when I decide to get another Silver Sky I will swap the tuners. I hated the plastic tuner buttons.

Much better. And I’m not shy to use kluson locking ones. If/when I decide to get another Silver Sky I will swap the tuners. I hated the plastic tuner buttons.
Yeah, the grey buttons were a tad bland. The keystone tuners look much better. Check Reverb for PRS Vintage-Style Locking Tuners...good values there....

I would have kept the silver sky thumbscrews on the locks rather than black. But that’s me. I’m also so OCD that it would likely bother me that the pickguard is bright white and the tuners are ivory/bone color.

I would have kept the silver sky thumbscrews on the locks rather than black. But that’s me. I’m also so OCD that it would likely bother me that the pickguard is bright white and the tuners are ivory/bone color.
Actually, I kinda like the black thumbscrews on the brass tuner posts. The chrome/chrome thumbscrews/posts were "OK". The ivory/cream-colored keystone tuner heads actually look better with the maple neck and offset the frost/white pick guard/body just enough the distance of the length of the neck, it's really not as noticeable.

Sorry to hear about the OCD. Although I'd planned on naming the guitar "Peekaboo," I'm still waffling between names now and will settle on one soon. Meanwhile, working on the tan pants/pterodactyls today, per former forum suggested guidelines.

Did someone say bagpipes! I’m still waiting for someone to develop a stomp box for guitar that mimics bagpipes. I think it would the coolest box of all time.

Did someone say bagpipes! I’m still waiting for someone to develop a stomp box for guitar that mimics bagpipes. I think it would the coolest box of all time.
TBH, There is some budding entrepreneur reading this forum and is thinking..."How can I build a stomp box that imitates bagpipes that will SELL?"
Or that people would even consider buying?

At this writing, I'm currently trying to put together a viable Fractal preset that does the John Mayer thing. I've got the clean Two-Rock, pushed Two-Rock, Pushed QTron Envelope Follower (a thing of genius created by a very smart guitarist), and a Lead Wet scene.

I don't think JM would bother with bagpipes, though I'd wonder if RHCP (originally from Scotland) might add it to their repertoire...for a listen to bagpipes, listen to Dropkick Murphys' "Amazing Grace." A raunchy Celtic punk band from Quincy, MA, USA. It's a musicologist's hidden Easter Egg you should know...

has anyone ever tired hip shot locking tuners?thats all ive used on other guitars?about the locking screw i see they have a slot in them so i take it there not hand tighen you have to use screw driver or a peeny to lock down the string?never used them thats why i ask.

has anyone ever tired hip shot locking tuners?thats all ive used on other guitars?about the locking screw i see they have a slot in them so i take it there not hand tighen you have to use screw driver or a peeny to lock down the string?never used them thats why i ask.
No, I've personally not considered these, mostly because the SS has a proprietary peg hole diameter and grommet size if one were to replace the PRS tuners with something else.

The PRS Vintage-Style Locking Tuners have both a knurled knob for finger-tightening, and a slot on the post head for additional tightening. I usually prefer to finger-tighten when swapping strings, then slot-tighten only a little (very slight clockwise turn) once the strings are installed.

The locking tuners preclude winding the string around the tuner post several times, and the locking tuners do a good job of keeping the guitar in tune (save for the usual new string re-tuning, etc). Granted, it feels different when one tunes because of the keystone tuner heads, but it fulfills the same purpose.

Back